IBM, Bandai Namco to make VR MMO out of Sword Art Online

TopWargamer

Source 1: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/02/22/ibm-japan-announces-sword-art-online-inspired-vrmmo-project/

Source 2: http://www.vrmmo-project.jp/

Yet another Sword Art Online game is in the works, but it won't be like any other game before it. Today IBM Japan, in collaboration with Kadokawa, Bandai namco, Aniplex, and others, are creating Sword Art Online: The Beginning Project. It will be a VR MMO, arguably the first of its kind, and will use full body motion to move your in game character around. The only other tidbits of information we have are that this VR MMO will use IBM's cloud computing technology known as SoftLayer and will star the protagonists of Sword Art Online, Kirito and Asuna. IBM wishes to explore the idea of using cognitive computing for the future gaming.

Yes, there is a teaser website and there is also a teaser video (below). If you are in the Tokyo metropolitan area between March 18th and March 20th, you're in luck, because IBM is looking 208 alpha testers. If any of you are able to somehow score a chance to play the alpha, please share your experience.

And now nerd talk. First of all, holy snap Batman! This is like, a huge deal. One, Sword Art Online is arguably getting a "somewhat proper" game, IMO. Two, this game is going to be a VR MMO that uses full body motion for in game movement. Say whaaaaaat. That's freaking sweet. Sure that's nothing new, but with the powerhouse of IBM behind the project, I can see great advancements being made, hopefully, maybe. I don't think you guys have any idea how excited I am for this. Sure it's nothing like the kind of VR that's shown in Sword Art Online, but it's a (very tiny) step in that direction, if we can even make it to that level. I absolutely cannot wait to see the progress on this project, and I really want to get my hands on it, but sadly, that won't be for quite some time.

COMIC SANS

Interesting. Not sure they will succeed, but interesting nonetheless.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

17 minutes ago, Paranoid Kami said:

It took them years of 24/7 grinding and they didn't even get max level in SAO. Just thought I would point that out.

Honestly, I think a regressive MMO would be pretty good. Where PVP is just totally unfair and realistic in the sense that. If someone is higher level, they CAN and will destroy you if they want. Obviously to have this, it would be extremely hard to get a high level.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

2 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Hopefully no asshole can hack the game and hold millions of people hostage because he wants to marry your girlfriend.

Made my day xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

2 hours ago, Ramamataz said:

Hopefully no asshole can hack the game and hold millions of people hostage because he wants to marry your girlfriend.

FYI, your sig is broke AF. I couldn't click on any of the voting buttons until I hid it.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I swear, I'm gonna be pissed if I can't use dual swords. Also inb4 World Seed. 

Now If I could only transfer my FFXIV crafting skills...

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

16 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

I swear, I'm gonna be pissed if I can't use dual swords. Also inb4 World Seed. 

Now If I could only transfer my FFXIV crafting skills...

with full motion tracking the crafting skill will be manual :D

I must admit I cringed a little just now.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

6 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

Honestly, I think a regressive MMO would be pretty good. Where PVP is just totally unfair and realistic in the sense that. If someone is higher level, they CAN and will destroy you if they want. Obviously to have this, it would be extremely hard to get a high level.

So EVE, basically?

I can't wait to see everyone pass out or puke when you only get 10fps on populated areas.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

now we wait for the nerve gear, cause fuck body motion

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

This is cool and I would jump on board the hype-train.

I said on twitter that VR was priced out for me, but I will find a way to get it because VR is going to become a huge player in the future of games, not just a gimmick which I originally thought.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

And all of the weaboos rejoiced.

8 hours ago, UnknownEngineer said:

FYI, your sig is broke AF. I couldn't click on any of the voting buttons until I hid it.

ty wil fix

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

thx Japan and IBM for pushing the industry forward

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

1 hour ago, Ramamataz said:

ty wil fix

A spoiler will probably fix it entirely, now I just need to figure out how to unblock it...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

The micro transaction on this game is gonna be a bitch.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

3 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

The micro transaction on this game is gonna be a bitch.

Why do you say that?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)