Microsoft makes Windows 10 a 'recommended update' for Windows 7 and 8.1 users

SansVarnic
53 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Yeah, So long as Insiders  keep insiding (Insiding is now a verb for providing feedback) then it will mature quickly. They want 1 Billion Windows 10 devices by 2-3 years.

I am an insider so, I indirectly make your windows experience better.

Doesn't matter, I am an insider myself (not as active now as I was during the preview days) but the point is you are not making a worthy point here or have not made a point worth making and has not contributed to the discussion. You missed the context of which the post I made that you quoted.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Honestly aside from a few specific reasons, I dont see why everyone is not on W10, its on everything at home now and I am happier for it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I dont see why everyone is not on W10

Really? I don't want to be spied, and I want full control over my OS. Which is not the case with that W10 fail.

b0D18rJ.jpg

ASRock Z97 PRO 4| i7-4790К@4600MHz/1.26V| Noctua NH-D14| 16GB ADATA@1800Mhz| Gigabyte GTX 660 WF OC| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB; Samsung 860 Pro 256GB; Samsung 860 EVO 500GB| Seasonic SS-650KM3 Gold| CM Storm QuickFire Ultimate| Mionix Naos 7000|

7 minutes ago, Belgarionbg said:

Really? I don't want to be spied, and I want full control over my OS. Which is not the case with that W10 fail.

Dont start with the whole privacy thing, since i never bought it up, and also those privacy concerns are also now levelled at 7 and 8 since they were retrospectively added anyway plus every single internet service you use is potentially another place and way you can be "spied" on - I am afraid i dont bow down to my tin foil hat

I do agree its a concern, but its bigger a bigger issue than upgrading to W10, its a global issue that needs to be addressed regardless

Full control? Like what? not found anything on 10 I do not have control over, and 99% of people would not notice this either

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I find nothing wrong with this. We're all seeing this from our techy knows-whats-up vantage point, but I know alot of people who thought downloading w10 was pirating, didnt even know about it, etc.

This is simply to get the un-techy people who are behind the curve to realise that this thing is, indeed, a thing. 

- snip-

47 minutes ago, Belgarionbg said:

Telemetry data is a different world than spying. They are 2 completely different things.

OFFTOPIC somehow:
Well, @Trik'Stari pointed out something on the previous page that makes sense to me now.I've been on Windows 10 from the day it launched and I didn't notice anything linked to that telemetry and data sending shit. I thought it was because I used those regedits and tweaking tools to disable them. WRONG! It was because my internet back home(1Gbps down + 200Mbps up) was too fast to get slowed down by that traffic.

Where I'm at now, I have 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up. And as @Trik'Stari gets DNS errors leading to "no internet access", so do I. But it's so random I can't even...

Sometimes it works for 2,3 days without errors, then one day...it bombards me with like 6-7 DNS crashes in two hours time span. It's annoying. Fortunately the solution on my side is either upgrading the damn connection or roll back to W7/W8.1, which I wouldn't personally want. I do like W10 and had 0 driver related issues(except for the Killer lan leak, but that was a KiLLER software related problem)

ONTOPIC (finally):
A bit of a d**k move from M$ i'd say. While I understand their goal(to move everyone on W10 so that they won't need to develop updates for the other OSs, thus focusing just on one OS), they don't seem to understand that such a migration doesn't happen in a few days, months. And I say that because of the business environment state. That's where the problem lies.

Most of the home users have little amounts of important data, that can be easily backed up and transferred onto the new OS, but companies, wooo...that's another story. 
Upgrading all clients, migrating data, establishing networks etc etc...it takes time, money and effort to do. 

M$, calm your t**s would ya'?

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

The DNS issue has to do with the shitty modem he has from his ISP. Here in Canada, we have Bell, and they love to continue to use the shitty company 2Wire which declared bankrupt years ago, modem/router 2-in-1 crap box, which is an insult to humanity to do either. I used to have, and so is work, and many people I have fixed computer. Every time ,I search and open results page in a new tab on the back, half of them don't even load with "Server not found" errors, and if I go too fast, with other users doing this, the freaking modem/router would crash and takes AGES to reboot, and re-connect.

The fix is simple, use your OWN router, and not the built-in one, and in your router configurations, set it to use Google (as it is free) DNS server. Problem solved!

Or you know.. CHANGE ISP! Vote with your wallet, if you can. Let that company fail until they update their equipment.

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

-snip-

can you please snip long quotes ? 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

8 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

It is, but just not always. Windows 10 is a different beast than Win7 or 8.1. With it still in its infancy there are a lot of programs and drivers that don't support fully or work well within the Win10 atmosphere. As the OS matures the more adapted software developers will conform and adapt their software to the Win10 environment. For those of decent tech backgrounds, Win10 is easy to conform to but those like my grandfather wont be able to do so and having the system upgrade as an update won't bode well for them. Beside iOS and android upgrades are not so fluid either. 

Those problems can get solved faster with a widespread adoption, if everyone sticks to older operating systems MS will be stuck with fragmentation once more and that's not good for the OS. If a few non-techies' facebook habits need to be sacrificed on the altar of better security for everyone, so be it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Belgarionbg said:

b0D18rJ.jpg

If you think older versions of windows are some sort of temples of privacy you are sorely wrong. Windows has always sent data back to microsoft (as has mac os) and windows 7 and 8 now have the exact same telemetry as windows 10. Besides, Microsoft is not just helping themselves to your private data - they are collecting anonymous information on what programs you generally use and what hardware you run, plus some runtime information to spot bugs. Even enterprises, which arguably have a lot more to hide than you do, have no reason to worry because MS does't even touch their files.

If you still aren't convinced and you agree with that quote you posted, switch to linux, because that's the only way to have none of that. Or are you suddenly less determined because games are more important to you than "privacy"?

Same goes for full control, windows 10 givs no less control to the user tha previous iterations. If you want more, linux is the only answer.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

If you think older versions of windows are some sort of temples of privacy you are sorely wrong. Windows has always sent data back to microsoft (as has mac os) and windows 7 and 8 now have the exact same telemetry as windows 10. Besides, Microsoft is not just helping themselves to your private data - they are collecting anonymous information on what programs you generally use and what hardware you run, plus some runtime information to spot bugs. Even enterprises, which arguably have a lot more to hide than you do, have no reason to worry because MS does't even touch their files.

If you still aren't convinced and you agree with that quote you posted, switch to linux, because that's the only way to have none of that. Or are you suddenly less determined because games are more important to you than "privacy"?

and thats not even a guarantee 

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

29 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

If you know what you're doing that's not a concern. Also, that's 4 year old news, ubuntu got rid of that some time ago.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If you know what you're doing that's not a concern. Also, that,s 4 year old news, ubuntu got rid of that some time ago.

I know its gone and not new news, the point is "get linux" is no a be all end all either

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Honestly aside from a few specific reasons, I dont see why everyone is not on W10, its on everything at home now and I am happier for it

Same. In fact, it made my desktop boot up faster thanks to Fast Boot.

And also made my SSD into the modern era by making it GPT and not MBR.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

I know its gone and not new news, the point is "get linux" is no a be all end all either

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ubuntu =/= all of linux.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand ubuntu =/= all of linux.

Did I say it was? Please show me where I did.

System Specs

43 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The DNS issue has to do with the shitty modem he has from his ISP. Here in Canada, we have Bell, and they love to continue to use the shitty company 2Wire which declared bankrupt years ago, modem/router 2-in-1 crap box, which is an insult to humanity to do either. I used to have, and so is work, and many people I have fixed computer. Every time ,I search and open results page in a new tab on the back, half of them don't even load with "Server not found" errors, and if I go too fast, with other users doing this, the freaking modem/router would crash and takes AGES to reboot, and re-connect.

The fix is simple, use your OWN router, and not the built-in one, and in your router configurations, set it to use Google (as it is free) DNS server. Problem solved!

Or you know.. CHANGE ISP! Vote with your wallet, if you can. Let that company fail until they update their equipment.

The connection here is very old(people that lived here before me didn't need a fast internet connection), so old that I have a coaxial cable coming into sort of an ONT that then divides the signal to  phone and internet and i'm 100% positive, that little sucker is responsible(with aid from the accelerated background traffic from W10). 

That thing only has one RJ-45 connector, so yeah...stupidly old. I'd change the ISP and fly directly back to Gigabit, rather than bothering with getting this little thing work.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Did I say it was? Please show me where I did.

56b09a53b97dd_Schermatadel2016-02-0212-5

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

56b09a53b97dd_Schermatadel2016-02-0212-5

Yup, thats what I said and nowhere does it say ubuntu is every single distro of linux out there, 9_9

System Specs

2 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Yup, thats what I said and nowhere does it say ubuntu is every single distro of linux out there, 9_9

But the internet thinks Linux = Ubuntu.

When in fact Ubuntu != Linux.

People are just saying things out of their ass.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

26 minutes ago, Nexxus said:

Again, if you know what you're doing that sort of thing is not a problem and if you don't, you won't have a good time on linux anyway. Linux is potentially (and usually ot of the box) completely impervious to this sort of thing, and that's all that counts in this case.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Sauron said:

Again, if you know what you're doing that sort of thing is not a problem and if you don't, you won't have a good time on linux anyway. Linux is potentially (and usually ot of the box) completely impervious to this sort of thing, and that's all that counts in this case.

I agree that yes it would be fixable, but well I have never used any linux distro but id be willing to say if you were the type (like me) to jump on the latest OS ASAP and you dont have said "fixes" in place (which you probably dont since many would feel no need to due to their OS type) you would be caught off guard in a situation like this where your OS update introduced these features in, and yes while it could be fixed its still out there now and the user was "spied" on.

Thats more specificly what im refering to here, just cause you can fix it, doesn't mean users were not unwillingly introduced to it via the OS update process and that can happen with any linux distro, it probably wont cause of the ubuntu backlash that happened. but it certainly could.

System Specs

1 minute ago, Nexxus said:

I agree that yes it would be fixable, but well I have never used any linux distro but id be willing to say if you were the type (like me) to jump on the latest OS ASAP and you dont have said "fixes" in place (which you probably dont since many would feel no need to due to their OS type) you would be caught off guard in a situation like this where your OS update introduced these features in, and yes while it could be fixed its still out there now and the user was "spied" on.

Thats more specificly what im refering to here, just cause you can fix it, doesn't mean users were not unwillingly introduced to it via the OS update process and that can happen with any linux distro, it probably wont cause of the ubuntu backlash that happened. but it certainly could.

Aside from the fact no linux distribution pushes the update on you at any point (especially if you have a stable release), you can literally check exactly what is being installed with any update and stop the packages you don't want from upgrading.

On top of that ubuntu is corporation based, someone who is obsessed with privacy would go for other projects like fedora (which is also corporation based, but takes a strong stance against any non-free software), debian or arch. Arch only includes the base system and what you chose to install, you can be sure nobody will try to introduce shady software in without your permission.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

Win10 and Win7 are different OS's. When Win10 was released it was released as a different Software all together. Just by changing the technical definition of what an upgrade is just to pass on a different OS to those that do not want it is not legal its called fraud. I know you not from the US but Microsoft is and its is bound by US law.

Err, there is nothing fraudulent about forcing an OS upgrade. Also Microsoft are not "bound by US law", they're an international company and as such have to abide by the laws that apply to the country the end user resides in. I live in England, Microsoft cannot hold me to American legislation and have to abide by UK sales and consumer protection laws in order to trade here.

Forcing an OS upgrade would certainly be unethical but Illegal? I struggle to see how anybody could argue that to be true. As long as the end product functions in the same way (or better) than the product it replaced and all data was still intact the consumer wouldn't have an argument to make.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)