Microsoft makes Windows 10 a 'recommended update' for Windows 7 and 8.1 users

SansVarnic

By: Mark Wilson of Beta News

http://betanews.com/2016/02/01/microsoft-makes-windows-10-a-recommended-update-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users/

windows_10_bubble

Well MS has changed the upgrade of Win10 from "Optional Update" to "Recommended Update" for Win7 and Win8.1 users.

Microsoft has been accused of pushing Windows 10 rather aggressively, and the company's latest move is going to do nothing to silence these accusations. For Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users, Windows 10 just became a 'recommended update' in Windows Update.

This does not help MS's position in fighting off the tin hats thinking that MS is aggressively pushing the upgrade, honestly I cant disagree really with this tactic being used. 

A Microsoft spokesperson said:

As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10. We updated the upgrade experience today to help our customers, who previously reserved their upgrade, schedule a time for their upgrade to take place.

The change is not entirely out of the blue, but it is still likely to catch many people off guard. There is still the ability to opt out of the installation -- and even if the Windows 10 upgrade is accidentally completed, there is a 31 day grace period in which to revert to Windows 7 or 8.1 -- but this will still be seen as an aggressive push by Microsoft.

I agree that MS Win10 is not for everyone, I also agree with the reporter that this will be seen as an another aggressive push by Microsoft.

Seriously, MS needs to tone it down a bit. The claims to make it easier to upgrade excuse is getting rather old but with things like this it makes it a little frustrating. I like Win10 and I use it on my daily driver but I have systems I want to stay at Win7 just as well.

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I already get a pop up at least once a day telling me to upgrade. You can push people too far where they will start resisting for the sake of resisting. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

In other news, it's always a good idea to upgrade iOS or Android, so why not Windows?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

22 minutes ago, Kherm said:

In other news, it's always a good idea to upgrade iOS or Android, so why not Windows?

It is, but just not always. Windows 10 is a different beast than Win7 or 8.1. With it still in its infancy there are a lot of programs and drivers that don't support fully or work well within the Win10 atmosphere. As the OS matures the more adapted software developers will conform and adapt their software to the Win10 environment. For those of decent tech backgrounds, Win10 is easy to conform to but those like my grandfather wont be able to do so and having the system upgrade as an update won't bode well for them. Beside iOS and android upgrades are not so fluid either. 

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

42 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

I already get a pop up at least once a day telling me to upgrade. You can push people too far where they will start resisting for the sake of resisting. 

You can remove that, along with the forced telemetry crap, by removing certain "security" updates from your system. I did.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

41 minutes ago, Kherm said:

Exactly, the give apple and Google a free pass so why not Microsoft?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Exactly, the give apple and Google a free pass so why not Microsoft?

There is a difference in changing phone OS for an update compared to a complete environment change like Windows 7 to Windows 10.

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

By: Mark Wilson of Beta News

http://betanews.com/2016/02/01/microsoft-makes-windows-10-a-recommended-update-for-windows-7-and-8-1-users/

windows_10_bubble

Well MS has changed the upgrade of Win10 from "Optional Update" to "Recommended Update" for Win7 and Win8.1 users.

This does not help MS's position in fighting off the tin hats thinking that MS is aggressively pushing the upgrade, honestly I cant disagree really with this tactic being used. 

I agree that MS Win10 is not for everyone, I also agree with the reporter that this will be seen as an another aggressive push by Microsoft.

Seriously, MS needs to tone it down a bit. The claims to make it easier to upgrade excuse is getting rather old but with things like this it makes it a little frustrating. I like Win10 and I use it on my daily driver but I have systems I want to stay at Win7 just as well.

Thoughts?

If the majority don't jump onto Windows 10, Microsoft will have to pull some more shady shit until everybody is on Windows 10.

If I was Microsoft, I would have forced the update on you without you knowing. So that, when you stopped using your computer and shut it down it, would install Windows 10 before doing that but without showing you. So then it shuts down and the next morning it has Windows 10 on it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

If the majority don't jump onto Windows 10, Microsoft will have to pull some more shady shit until everybody is on Windows 10.

If I was Microsoft, I would have forced the update on you without you knowing. So that, when you stopped using your computer and shut it down it, would install Windows 10 before doing that but without showing you. So then ti shuts down and the next morning it has Windows 10 on it.

Not only would that be illegal, but unethical.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, SansVarnic said:

Not only would that be illegal, but unethical.

What part being illegal? You technically agreed to this. Microsoft can do whatever they want to Windows and to your machine.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

What part being illegal? You technically agreed to this. Microsoft can do whatever they want to Windows and to your machine.

Win10 and Win7 are different OS's. When Win10 was released it was released as a different Software all together. Just by changing the technical definition of what an upgrade is just to pass on a different OS to those that do not want it is not legal its called fraud. I know you not from the US but Microsoft is and its is bound by US law.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Win10 and Win7 are different OS's. When Win10 was released it was released as a different Software all together. Just by changing the technical definition of what an upgrade is just to pass on a different OS to those that do not want it is not legal its called fraud. I know you not from the US but Microsoft is and its is bound by US law.

Whatever. In that case just stop Windows Update on Windows 7 and stop.Net from working (basically crippling everything) Then advertise Windows 10.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Whatever. In that case just stop Windows Update on Windows 7 and stop.Net from working (basically crippling everything) Then advertise Windows 10.

And you'd get an immediate class action lawsuit, and come out looking like the asshole that is M$

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Just now, Trik'Stari said:

And you'd get an immediate class action lawsuit, and come out looking like the asshole that is M$

Pretty much what @Trik'Stari said.

MS is bound by its own EULA that they support Win7 until the support date. Contracts work 2 ways. We all know you love Windows but what you proposed is unethical, no matter what country your from.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Pretty much what @Trik'Stari said.

MS is bound by its own EULA that they support Win7 until the support date. Contracts work 2 ways. We all know you love Windows but what you proposed is unethical, no matter what country your from.

I'm still waiting for the forced updates to blow up in their faces. When it does finally happen, It's going to be hysterical. And believe me, it is going to happen sooner or later.

Wow, I didn't even see this at work today, 10 upgrades were still showing as optional updates. This is going to suck, especially given how many people are trying to avoid Windows 10 like the plague. Hopefully disabling automatic updates in Windows Update will be enough to stop 10 from automatically installing.

2 minutes ago, obsidian1200 said:

Wow, I didn't even see this at work today, 10 upgrades were still showing as optional updates. This is going to suck, especially given how many people are trying to avoid Windows 10 like the plague. Hopefully disabling automatic updates in Windows Update will be enough to stop 10 from automatically installing.

It is, but don't forget to look through your already installed updates and remove the one recommending W10, as well as the one that brings the telemetry bullshit to Windows 7 (not sure about 8.1)

https://www.hackread.com/microsoft-updates-spy-on-windows7-8-users/

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm still waiting for the forced updates to blow up in their faces. When it does finally happen, It's going to be hysterical. And believe me, it is going to happen sooner or later.

I am sure if this doesn't do it their next move will. MS is becoming a bit overbearing with the upgrade to Win10 and I openly admit this (being the Windows fan myself) and I understand why they are doing it but for the sake of sanity they are doing it the wrong way. People will adopt Win10 in time as long as it is give time to mature first but somebody is getting to anxious and bit greedy. IMO

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

I am sure if this doesn't do it their next move will. MS is becoming a bit overbearing with the upgrade to Win10 and I openly admit this (being the Windows fan myself) and I understand why they are doing it but for the sake of sanity they are doing it the wrong way. People will adopt Win10 in time as long as it is give time to mature first but somebody is getting to anxious and bit greedy. IMO

I'd be happy to "upgrade" if it weren't for the forced telemetry that doesn't actually turn off when you tell it to, and the forced updates. I'd like to continue to maintain control over my OS to at least some small extent.

I don't care what the content of the data is. If I say turn it off, turn it the fuck off. This is my computer not yours. If you won't comply, then I'll go to Linux just so I don't have to deal with your BS, and use your OS on a separate, gaming only PC.

They've already forced me on one computer, and that fucked a ton of shit up, rollback could not fix. (Thankfully I have whole drive images.)

Annoying I'm gonna have to start hand pruning my updates now. I'm just simply not ready for 10 on a couple of my computers. 

Anyway, while I read this and will change my update list, this is dirty, and will cause many issues for non-tech savvy people, like driver issues. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch