Joined a suspicious server on GMod, am I safe?

ThinkWithPortals

So, my friend managed to convince me to connect to a a server in GMOD titled "Daddy's Playground" with only one player called Daddy10. I was on for only around 15 secs before the server closed down. I was curious, so I tried typing the server name into google and apparently Daddy's Playground is some NSFW pedophilia shit. So, that server seems all the more shady. It was a Trouble in Terrorist Town server btw.

My question: can they get my IP address or do anything to me based on 15 minutes of connection to a server? Am I being paranoid? What do you recommend I do?

Mods, I didn't know where to put this, feel free to move appropriately.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

So, my friend managed to convince me to connect to a a server in GMOD titled "Daddy's Playground" with only one player called Daddy10. I was on for only around 15 secs before the server closed down. I was curious, so I tried typing the server name into google and apparently Daddy's Playground is some NSFW pedophilia shit. So, that server seems all the more shady. It was a Trouble in Terrorist Town server btw.

My question: can they get my IP address or do anything to me based on 15 minutes of connection to a server? Am I being paranoid? What do you recommend I do?

O.o He doesn't sound like a friend.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

You'll probably be fine, though you may want to see about one way plane tickets to non-extradition countries.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

O.o He doesn't sound like a friend.

I'm certain he didn't know the true nature of the term.

You'll probably be fine, though you may want to see about one way plane tickets to non-extradition countries.

For my friend or myself? :P

HDD -> microwave -> NOW!!!!

Seriously?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

I mean thats pretty fucked up but your fine I'm sure 

JK....

Solution: Don't be friend with said 'friend' like ever again. Also, you should be fine.

I mean thats pretty fucked up but your fine I'm sure 

I know it's pretty messed up, but I'm primarily concerned about my own security. Will I be safe?

Probably overreacting, I'm visibly shaking atm...

I know it's pretty messed up, but I'm primarily concerned about my own security. Will I be safe?

Probably overreacting, I'm visibly shaking atm...

sorry butt, lol. Relax man you're fine. I doubt he's gonna cum for you. But I'd keep a hammer near bye 24/7 just in case

Just don't become Static Shock and you should be fine... Static-Shock-Episode-2--Aftershock.jpg

A society's accepted views of the world surrounding said society is both the making and undoing of society itself.
“While one person hesitates because he feels inferior, the other is busy making mistakes and becoming superior.” - Henry C. Link

dude, it's fine. Nobody's been arrested for doing 1 google search.

No, I'm worried about my IP address being found and used against me by connecting to the suspicious server.

Doubtful anything will happen, probably just a gag. It's not like they're going to send you crazy pictures over gmod because you joined a server for a few seconds.

Then again... they could hakes you

tumblr_inline_n1qphdoFi71snqo8m.gif

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

No, I'm worried about my IP address being found and used against me by connecting to the suspicious server.

That'll never happen.

In court:

"SO WHAT HAPPENED AGAIN?"

"I joined a game server"

:/

Then again... they could hakes you

Jokes aside, could they actually?

That'll never happen.

In court:

"SO WHAT HAPPENED AGAIN?"

"I joined a game server"

:/

I'm more worried about my location being found, DDoSing, doxxing, that sort of thing.

I'm more worried about my location being found, DDoSing, doxxing, that sort of thing.

won't happen. You're thinking wayy too hard into this. If you're that worried, change your IP address.

EDIT: Or at least, VERY VERY unlikely

Im sure your fine, the worst they can do is ping your IP and see what country/state your located in :P

They can't DDoS a single IP, your ISP would take the brunt of that, and doxxing wouldn't happen either 

Jokes aside, could they actually?

Short answer, No.

Long answer, while theoretically and practically possible, the likeliness of them being able to hack you considering the duration of your connection and the connection type make it highly... HIGHLY unlikely they were able to do anything at all, besides see you joined and close connection.

And nothing will happen with your ip, no ones going to hunt you do m8 for joining a suspicious server. There are far worse things on the web that are completely legal in most countries. More on topic, there are things pertaining to that nature that are legal in the United states, but not in many other countries. I'm not going into detail because honestly no one should, but seriously. There's worse shit out there for them to be worried about.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

@Atmos @Stupidtiggers @NeatSquidYT @Sam Harradine @Prysin @TheRandomness 

I know I'm overreacting deep down, I'm pretty much doing this so that you people can smack some sense into me :P

I have a history of overreacting like this. I remember being a kid and accidentally clicking a sketchy ad. I reinstalled the OS and deleted all of my existing accounts :P

I know I'm overreacting deep down, I'm pretty much doing this so that you people can smack some sense into me :P

I have a history of overreacting like this. I remember being a kid and accidentally clicking a sketchy ad. I reinstalled the OS and deleted all of my existing accounts :P

I have the same feeling. Whenever someone's talking behind me or in my house, I'm scared that they're talking about me and get really uncomfortable. However, at the same time, idc what people think about me. e.g. if someone called me fat and gay, I'd just tell them to fuck off and get on with my day.

Jesus christ man, I don't think I've ever said this before, and I never thought I would say this but...

Go smoke a blunt or something, xD you need to chill out rofl.

Seriously though, don't smoke weed if its illegal in your area, or you're underage. Everything has its downsides, and I'm not going to get into a debate on that topic here.

Anyway, naw you're completely fine mate. There's far worse things out there, no ones concerned about someone joining a sketch video game server for a moment when there's actual terrorists attacking the EU and the middle east.

Jesus christ man, I don't think I've ever said this before, and I never thought I would say this but...

Go smoke a blunt or something, xD you need to chill out rofl.

Seriously though, don't smoke weed if its illegal in your area, or you're underage. Everything has its downsides, and I'm not going to get into a debate on that topic here.

Anyway, naw you're completely fine mate. There's far worse things out there, no ones concerned about someone joining a sketch video game server for a moment when there's actual terrorists attacking the EU and the middle east.

Nah, I aint a smoker. And thanks :P

I have the same feeling. Whenever someone's talking behind me or in my house, I'm scared that they're talking about me and get really uncomfortable. However, at the same time, idc what people think about me. e.g. if someone called me fat and gay, I'd just tell them to fuck off and get on with my day.

That is me in a nutshell. Thanks for the help :P