No more cracked games in two years?

You tell me why US Citizens have 2nd amendment rights and i tell you why we should always have crackers regardless.

And no, i dont expect you know the answer i am looking for, but it will at least make you think about the latter.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. I'm assuming that you're implying that the ability to crack software is our (the people) way of protection against the producers?

I honestly didn't think people pirated games anymore. I figured since newer titles require a significant investment in hardware to run that the people playing games can afford the measly $60 per title.

-KuJoe

You can make it uncrackable by hosting files and make some code be run on cloud  and streaming packets but thats another story.

I better not give them any ideas. lol, we might end up with DRM chips in brain in two years.

A lot of MMO RPGs and mobile games do this. Since it's a multiplayer only the game and almost everything is hosted on the server you must be online to play.

This pretty much defeats the point of cracking the game if you can play it.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I wonder how long it would take for a crack to be released if they used a quantum computer to break it?

I honestly didn't think people pirated games anymore. I figured since newer titles require a significant investment in hardware to run that the people playing games can afford the measly $60 per title.

I think you mean 80$  i mean 130$ when you want the full game.

You tell me why US Citizens have 2nd amendment rights and i tell you why we should always have crackers regardless.

To kill black and brown people?

You can make it uncrackable by hosting files and make some code be run on cloud  and streaming packets but thats another story.

I better not give them any ideas. lol, we might end up with DRM chips in brain in two years.

If someone made something, someone else can break it.

I'm sorry, but I'm not following. I'm assuming that you're implying that the ability to crack software is our (the people) way of protection against the producers?

Oh yes, the producers, naughty naughty individuals :P jk

try replacing that word with "corporation" its more fitting

This pretty much defeats the point of cracking the game if you can play it.

That sentence defeats the purpuse of me replying to it.

*to run maxed out.

you can run games with potato.

complete tosh, crackers will stop at nothing to break into games, dont give me this shit. If they can get into the governments on massive compnaies they can crack a damn game. 

Governments are dumb. 

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Oh yes, the producers, naughty naughty individuals :P jk

try replacing that word with "corporation" its more fitting

Not all producers are a corporation. And then, if you understand what a corporation is, you understand why they try their hardest to protect their assets and secure the money from their created product. Shareholders.

Governments are dumb. 

a lot of the time their security team isnt.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I hope piracy gets defeated for two reasons. First, I want to see the tears of freeloaders who can't play games they didn't pay for. Second, that victory will reveal an ugly truth hiding behind "lost sales" arguments publishers typically make. I'm assuming Denuvo charges a flat fee for their service. Let's say it's nothing outrageous, $100k to implement their DRM. How many more copies do the games sell when they aren't cracked vs having their DRM defeated? To make back the hypothetical fee of $100k, at $59.99 a pop, it's ~ 1667 more copies they need to sell. Have there really been 1667 people who said " Oh well, Just Cause 3 isn't cracked, let me grab my credit card and buy it"? Assuming pirates are just a wretched hive of scum and villainy, how quick are they to convert back to being normal people and start paying for stuff?

This is LTT. One cannot force "style over substance" values & agenda on people that actually aren't afraid to pop the lid off their electronic devices, which happens to be the most common denominator of this community. Rather than take shots at this community in every post, why not seek out like-minded individuals elsewhere?

a lot of the time their security team isnt.

Lol that's what you think.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

I have bought and not bought games after cracking them and have to say that I was glad for the games I didn't spend any money on and the ones I really liked I bought. 

In my case the game developers could implement a 90min or so time limit to test a game without buying it

or a decent demo

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

This DRM war is stupid. It hurts actual consumers waaaaaaaaaay more than people who pirate. It's not possible to make an uncrackable game unless it's online only and even then, if someone really wanted it they could probably do it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

They still didnt learned the lesson. Developing/buying DRM is a waste of time and money because there is no DRM that didnt broke under the pressure from crackers... BTW even if they use encryption it cant be a brutal one or it will mess with the games performance ;) .

Nothing is uncrackable, eventually they'll figure it out as always. Look at blu rays, it wasn't easy at first but now ripping one is no harder than tieing your shoelaces. Technology progresses and so do crackers.

This brings up a really good point.  It might be uncracked for a while, but the hackers only need to succeed once.  Once they figure out how to do it, they will be able to do all the games.  Its like anything with encryption, you only need to find 1 weakness to exploit.  This is the mantra of "you need to protect against everything forever, but the attackers only need 1 success", and there are always more attackers than defenders.

I hope piracy gets defeated for two reasons. First, I want to see the tears of freeloaders who can't play games they didn't pay for. Second, that victory will reveal an ugly truth hiding behind "lost sales" arguments publishers typically make. I'm assuming Denuvo charges a flat fee for their service. Let's say it's nothing outrageous, $100k to implement their DRM. How many more copies do the games sell when they aren't cracked vs having their DRM defeated? To make back the hypothetical fee of $100k, at $59.99 a pop, it's ~ 1667 more copies they need to sell. Have there really been 1667 people who said " Oh well, Just Cause 3 isn't cracked, let me grab my credit card and buy it"? Assuming pirates are just a wretched hive of scum and villainy, how quick are they to convert back to being normal people and start paying for stuff?

I would think that in most cases, pirates either intend to not spend any money OR wasn't significantly interested into the game enough to warrant a buy. I just wished some games were priced more properly since that is the primary reason why I don't buy a game. Only when it goes on a good sale, will I get it, but then that would be a long period of time to have an outdated experience or sometimes I just give up on getting the game altogether. As far as Steam refunds can do, I really do not want to go through that process and some games you cannot truly give final judgement within 2 hours (not enough time to find that the game is enjoyable or not).

QQ pay for your game and you will be able to play it

Why is this even tech news

I don't usually wish to condone piracy but in many countries, due to the lack of options for buying products such as games, piracy is really the only option for some people.

Until companies can provide legal and fair means to distribute those products in those countries, I have no issue with people pirating a product if there no other way to get that product.

It's a bit disingenuous to tell people to buy a product that for some people they may not actually be able to obtain when there is no legal way to do so.

I'm wondering what will happen if it does...

Game sales could go up, it could not change at all, or it goes down.

You can give valid reasons for the 3 options soo... Tbh no idea what would happen then!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'm not poor and can support my hobby, I could give two sh*ts if pirated games disappeared.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

if you apply the same sentence you just wrote to my original comment, you will come to same conclusion just approaching it from opposite side.

the point is clear, no further discussion needed and you solved riddle yourself already.

I don't usually wish to condone piracy but in many countries, due to the lack of options for buying products such as games, piracy is really the only option for some people.

Until companies can provide legal and fair means to distribute those products in those countries, I have no issue with people pirating a product if there no other way to get that product.

It's a bit disingenuous to tell people to buy a product that for some people they may not actually be able to obtain when there is no legal way to do so.

in russia, for anyone that doesnt know yet, they charge half the money. so this IS a way to fight piracy. you cant expect them to pay full price, even some devs think that and i know for a fact one indie dev that even said that out loud for his own game if people cant buy it, there are pirate sites. something along this line but very straight forward.

I have bought and not bought games after cracking them and have to say that I was glad for the games I didn't spend any money on and the ones I really liked I bought. 

In my case the game developers could implement a 90min or so time limit to test a game without buying it

Even better-they can bring back fucking demos without time limits (demo games having a lot of missing content-its only a sample after all), or shareware versions. We had demos when BF1942 came out, and shareware in the 90's.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm wondering what will happen if it does...

Game sales could go up, it could not change at all, or it goes down.

Indeed, I'd be curious to know how much this would affect sales.

While personally I always buy games, I like the fall back of being able to crack games if for any reason I ever have any problems with DRM clients. If we get to the stage where DRM becomes "uncrackable" then surely after the length of the commercial viability of the game, the devs should be required to remove the DRM. I could foresee a situation where games are removed from a DRM client, or certain DRM clients die out, which could potentially render a bunch of games unplayable.

Indeed, I'd be curious to know how much this would affect sales.

While personally I always buy games, I like the fall back of being able to crack games if for any reason I ever have any problems with DRM clients. If we get to the stage where DRM becomes "uncrackable" then surely after the length of the commercial viability of the game, the devs should be required to remove the DRM. I could foresee a situation where games are removed from a DRM client, or certain DRM clients die out, which could potentially render a bunch of games unplayable.

It already happened with games that used starforce, caused big issues and even ruined your entire OS. I think they released some tool to fix it but still, DRM doesn't get updated forever...

And i also wonder if it would actually affect sales at all. It's possible the sales are like the same because there is always a margin of error...

Also, if the devs don't see a rise in sale, or worse, they see them go down. That would mean all those years of fighting pirates with DRM and causing a bunch of issues for the people that genuinly buy the game was all a huge waste...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

we dont even know if 3dm is even cracking it

edit: or there have a sneaky tactic that we will see once tomb rader comes out

They are

They already cracked Denuvo once before it was updated, and no security system is uncrackable

That's what they all say.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~