No more cracked games in two years?

DRM is bad, like , really bad. It's a hassle for the user and , in the end , it can still be bypassed by most "illegal users".

That's why there is GOG. Man , I really love those guys. They deserve more credit.

Oh , and people still managed to play Just Cause 3 even though they didn't own it. Just through different means.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

im still sceptical that something is uncrackable but if it does happen rip PC gaming. half the reason pc gaming is so good is because priate games keeps the industry honest.....with in a few years of uncrackable games pc gamers will be getting shafted just as hard as console gamers.

Ita the opposite actually. DRM wouldn't be as common place and as intrusive if pirating wasn't so rampant

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

DRM is bad, like , really bad. It's a hassle for the user and , in the end , it can still be bypassed by most "illegal users".

That's why there is GOG. Man , I really love those guys.

Oh , and people still managed to play Just Cause 3 even though they didn't own it. Just through different means.

I'll put it this way. After I buy a game (whether it be off steam or a physical copy) I normally end up downloading a cracked copy because of the included DRM.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yeah, they said the same things about Battlefield Hardline and there it is, you can download it if you want.

Yeah, they said the same things about Battlefield Hardline and there it is, you can download it if you want.

That's EA though-and although DRM is supposedly there to protect the potential loss of profits-EA are idiots and more than likely focused too much on DLC with hardline.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

That's why there is GOG. Man , I really love those guys.

GoG is absolutely wonderful and CDPR are the best company when it comes to DRM (because they don't have any, heh). The Witcher 3 sold many copies, despite not having any anti-piracy protection.

The bottom line is that if a game is good, it's going to sell anyway.

There aren't that many people using GoG though, my friend list is empty. :D

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

The bottom line is that if a game is good, it's going to sell anyway.

Good point....

Ita the opposite actually. DRM wouldn't be as common place and as intrusive if pirating wasn't so rampant

Rampant?

How can you check how many people copy stuff llegally? Look at the recent thing the piratebay founder did with music. Did he really do more than $150 million in damages just by making a device which makes 100 copies of a song a second? Come on.

I'd say piracy is actually diminishing, and I can say that from what people I know are doing. Everyone in Romania pirates games or...well , anything, as long as it's not for commercial use. We buy things we really love , things we have really been waiting for. Of course, our first contact with the game was either at a friend , who probably had it pirated , or after pirating it yourself. Then , when the sequel comes along , and if we really enjoyed a previous game , we might just buy it. That's how it worked for a long time here. I'm not even going to mention the piracy of other things in Romania because , oh well... I think you know how it works.

Nowadays , however, more and more people start buying games on Steam. Mostly because the games they really enjoyed have either changed for the worse , have disappeared , or have simply become boring over the years , and because of the online games it offers : Dota , CS:GO , etc. There are lots of communities for these kind of games here , and they are legit users. Unlike CS 1.6 which was soooo widely pirated , a lot of people actually bought CS:GO and they are really into it and don't regret their decision.

Also , money holds different value around the globe. Up until this year , kids would get ~10EUR/month from the state, that's their "official pocket money". Would he buy a 60 EUR game which he isn't really sure about? Of course not. Of course, there are parents for those kinds of things , but just to put it into perspective. The average income/month is around 400EUR, and there are a lot of things you need to do with that money. Here , we just payed $200 on heating/water/etc. alone this month, but it's winter , so that is to be expected. Not including electricity , food , cable or any other things. You see the point? My grandma gets $100 a month. That's less than what her meds cost her.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

While pirating games is not something I endorse and for the last 2-3 years I've been buying every single one, when I was young and had 0$ in my pocket pirated games were the only way of enjoying them as we didn't really have the cash to buy them back then.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I think his post refers more to pricing. I get his point, having total control over market distribution (like the console market does) tends to allow publishers to inflate their prices. I guess in the PC market, if they over inflate prices, people will resort to piracy.

Personally I'm more of a fan of voicing my discontent by not touching the game at all.

I have bought and not bought games after cracking them and have to say that I was glad for the games I didn't spend any money on and the ones I really liked I bought. 

In my case the game developers could implement a 90min or so time limit to test a game without buying it

im still sceptical that something is uncrackable but if it does happen rip PC gaming. half the reason pc gaming is so good is because priate games keeps the industry honest.....with in a few years of uncrackable games pc gamers will be getting shafted just as hard as console gamers. 

you see, sadly if you can't pirate a game you cannot take a look before paying, and this makes any company free to fuck us hella over and still be paid for it

To all the people wanting a "free look" at the game, because otherwise the company is free to "fuck" you...

Steam Refunds. Origin Refunds. GoG.com Refunds.

That is all. There already exists a system, in which you can buy digital games, and if they don't work, you can get a refund. If you don't like them, you can get a refund. If you're squirrelly and just changed your mind, you can get a refund.

In short, you can get a refund. Origin, in particular, has an incredibly generous return policy. Even Steam's policy isn't half bad. GoG.com's policy only covers technical issues (They won't refund you if you don't like the game), but if they cannot get a game working within one month, you can get a refund still - plus GoG.com tends to have old games, or otherwise very cheap ones.

First and foremost, you should do your research first - check reviews and playthroughs, etc.

While I think DRM often is too intrusive in some cases, I have literally no problems with this.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Except, games with Denuvo can be cracked. Just see how Dragon Age: Inquisition has been cracked by now.
Sure it takes a while, but it's only a matter of time. And sooner or later those "crackers" will find easier/faster ways to crack denuvo DRM games and thus it will just be yet another useless DRM.

Before, I was pirating games to try them before buying, saved a ton of money that way from not buying terrible games. Now we have steam refunds, so that ain't as necessary anymore. But sometimes, having to go through the loops of steam refunds is just not worth the hassle when you could download and delete the game right away after trying it/not liking without having to wait for your money to be refunded.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I haven't pirated a game in a long time thanks to Steam sales and G2A.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

the point is clear, no further discussion needed and you solved riddle yourself already.

The protections for us should be via policy and lawmakers, not via vigilant consumers that believe stealing is the answer. 

tl;dr your way of thinking is skewed.

QQ pay for your game and you will be able to play it

Not if it requires Uplay.

That crap doesn't let you play your legal licensed copy.

Also "Cracking" is legal now for any game with always online or similar DRM that is no longer running. For the purpose of preservation or personal use.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I don't know how I feel about this.

On one side, this means less pirating, which I'm totally happy about.

On the other, it's still screwy DRM that will eventually backfire on the users.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Yeah right. Code is transparent, even if something is harder to crack doesn't mean it can't be done.

You ever seen code that's purposely obfuscated by Visual Studio's non-enterprise release mode? Add 512-bit encryption on top of it and obscure security subroutines and it does become exponentially harder with each new layer. It may require you go insane before you crack it. We will have to build dedicated cracking AIs for this soon. Humans are not built to do this again and again. It's actually very bad for your brain chemistry.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm not too bothered about this, I have a job plus games on PC tend to be pretty affordable now.

G2A and other key sites are very affordable with Steam keys. PC 1 Console 0

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

On principle I would neither pirate nor buy any game with Denuvo in it. It is an unacceptable form of DRM that hogs system resources which should be put towards the performance of the game.

Though, see my sig for further standpoint.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Every security measure can be broken. Every big game will be cracked at some point.

EA will love this news though ;)

For everyone who is bashing on the pirates I will just say this....Piracy is not all bad...I pirate a lot of things but if I end up liking it I always buy it. For instance I am very happy that I pirated Assassins Creed Unity and saw it was a pile of S**T and same goes for programs, movies, music. I have a large collection of stuff that I bought but I never ever buy it before I test it and for that we need pirates....Why in the world would i trust some company that they made a perfect product when I haven't tested it. This is just like if you bought a car without test driving it first.

Oh and also every pirated copy of anything has a note that says if you like it support the devs/artists......because this is ment as a test drive to see what is and what isn't worth buying and not like a free store so you never buy anything

I know for myself that I wil never ever buy anything without testing it first...now if you have so much money to throw it away on broken things go right ahead...but I do support piracy for reasons mentioned above and I stand firmly behind my decision.

As for denuvo...they have broken it several times already...it just takes a while longer that is all

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

I'll put it this way. After I buy a game (whether it be off steam or a physical copy) I normally end up downloading a cracked copy because of the included DRM.

i dont blame you. same problem. i really wish there was still a tech store near me where i used to go buy boxed old and new games. i wouldnt mind to pay 100% more for boxed no drm old games.

GOG is great, but they dont have games i want and would buy instantly.

For everyone who is bashing on the pirates I will just say this....Piracy is not all bad...I pirate a lot of things but if I end up liking it I always buy it. For instance I am very happy that I pirated Assassins Creed Unity and saw it was a pile of S**T and same goes for programs, movies, music. I have a large collection of stuff that I bought but I never ever buy it before I test it and for that we need pirates....Why in the world would i trust some company that they made a perfect product when I haven't tested it. This is just like if you bought a car without test driving it first.

Oh and also every pirated copy of anything has a note that says if you like it support the devs/artists......because this is ment as a test drive to see what is and what isn't worth buying and not like a free store so you never buy anything

I know for myself that I wil never ever buy anything without testing it first...now if you have so much money to throw it away on broken things go right ahead...but I do support piracy for reasons mentioned above and I stand firmly behind my decision.

As for denuvo...they have broken it several times already...it just takes a while longer that is all

Although it isn't so bad these days, you can generally find somebody playing any game on twitch.tv and you can get a fairly good impression of what the game is like from that.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II