Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

howdy, quick intro. Das Pro S blue user at work. looking for a brown switch for home. i'd like a Das Pro 4 with some backlighting. Was thinking corsair k70, but Now I just heard about Ducky and wondering what others don't I know about. 

Looking for a Cherry Brown with Media volume knob, and back-light and built to last forever. Under 200 :)

I think k70 is your only backlight option with volume knob.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Corsair K70 user here.

I've had it for over a year and a half and love it!

About to switch over to a K70 RGB.

Quick question for those with K70 RGBs; Can you program a key for a specific function within windows or a game?

For example, if I get an IM on Jabber can I have a key glow? Or like on an MMO, if a skill is ready, can I make a key glow to signify that skill is ready?

CPU: Intel 3570K   Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 RAM: 16GB VENGANCE LP GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 (x2) Case: Cooler Master HAF XM Storage: Western Digital 1 & 2 TB PSU: Corsair TX650M Display(s): BenQ GW2750 Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Keyboard: Corsair Vengance K60 Mouse: Mionix NAOS 3200 Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZX Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

Hello..I've been using a Sidewinder X6 (it was a gift, so I could not just burn it)....and recently I've bought myself a nice Corsair K95.

Hello..I've been using a Sidewinder X6 (it was a gift, so I could not just burn it)....and recently I've bought myself a nice Corsair K95.

I owned a Sidewinder before I got my first mechanical. Still a solid membrane keyboard option. 

Hell, I'm typing on Topre switches right now, which are just fancy membranes.

-snip-

Topre ..., which are just fancy membranes.

-_-

Quick question for those with K70 RGBs; Can you program a key for a specific function within windows or a game?

For example, if I get an IM on Jabber can I have a key glow? Or like on an MMO, if a skill is ready, can I make a key glow to signify that skill is ready?

Its a two part question.

Yes, you can assign a function to a key and create a light pattern how ever you want it. BUT the moment you play a game and let's say you get an IM on Jabber, you will get kicked out from the game. Basically, as long that you're in Windows, it'll function the way you want it. 

For the MMO macro alert key, yes, you can assign a key to indicate a skill is ready by binding a macro activation with a timer. Activating macro will also trigger a time which when the timer's up, it will light up the key with any lighting effect you created. 

Its a two part question.

Yes, you can assign a function to a key and create a light pattern how ever you want it. BUT the moment you play a game and let's say you get an IM on Jabber, you will get kicked out from the game. Basically, as long that you're in Windows, it'll function the way you want it. 

For the MMO macro alert key, yes, you can assign a key to indicate a skill is ready by binding a macro activation with a timer. Activating macro will also trigger a time which when the timer's up, it will light up the key with any lighting effect you created. 

WOWOWOWO!!!!

That last info was just what I'm looking for!

As far as the IM function goes, I would only want that feature to work when I'm doing productivity things like MS Word, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator etc.

I have already purchased the K95 version, which I absolutely love by the way, and was thinking of a way to do this.

At the moment, all I have done is make my keys glow (the software does take some time to get used to.)

I will give it another go when I get home but thanks SO MUCH for that helpful little tid bit.

CPU: Intel 3570K   Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 RAM: 16GB VENGANCE LP GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 (x2) Case: Cooler Master HAF XM Storage: Western Digital 1 & 2 TB PSU: Corsair TX650M Display(s): BenQ GW2750 Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Keyboard: Corsair Vengance K60 Mouse: Mionix NAOS 3200 Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZX Operating System: Windows 7 64 bit

That's actually the E-Element RGB Keyboard, which I am currently using. Off Massdrop, I got it for $90 after shipping. Specs can be seen here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard

I wouldn't call it a knockoff k70; it's just a generic, asian-manufactured RGB keyboard using knockoff switches. And for the price, I'd say it's a pretty decent keyboard.

CPU - Intel i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 (Rev 2.0) | RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1866 | Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 980ti SC | Case - Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) | PSU - EVGA 750W B2 | Display - Acer K272HUL | Keyboard - E-Element RGB | Mouse - Logitech g502 | Sound - Klipsch ProMedia 2.1/Fostex TH-x00/Sennheiser HD595

That's actually the E-Element RGB Keyboard, which I am currently using. Off Massdrop, I got it for $90 after shipping. Specs can be seen here: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-element-rgb-keyboard

I wouldn't call it a knockoff k70; it's just a generic, asian-manufactured RGB keyboard using knockoff switches. And for the price, I'd say it's a pretty decent keyboard.

That's the knockoff corsair right?

Is there a layout with a L shift key on the left side?

Like this, except for shift.

enter-key.jpg

Or l anything on the left side. Caps, even. For some reason I keep hitting mistyping the caps lock on my mech. So weird habit. Feel like if I had something bigger over there, I could adjust more easily.

Is there a layout with a L shift key on the left side?

Like this, except for shift.

enter-key.jpg

Or l anything on the left side. Caps, even. For some reason I keep hitting mistyping the caps lock on my mech. So weird habit. Feel like if I had something bigger over there, I could adjust more easily.

Pretty sure that doesnt exist.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I got finally got my IC puller delivered today, so I can more easily show off how my hot swap-able switch board works now:

med_gallery_64571_1665_823879.jpgmed_gallery_64571_1665_875413.jpgmed_gallery_64571_1665_701839.jpgmed_gallery_64571_1665_975048.jpg

My build log for it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430702-custom-keyboard-hot-swapable-switch-build/

So far I've just been using it without a case just resting on some bubble wrap.

I seem to be okay with the keyboard flat but does anyone feel they need it angled or have preferred angle they like their keyboards?

Hey guys so ive got a rapoo kx wireless mechnical keyboard(love it to bits).

When i connect the usb cable the lights are significantly brighter for about 1 second and then go back to its usual brightness is there anyway i can make the leds go at full brightness.There is only two settings dim and high but high just isnt bright enough

i just recently got the Ducky Shine 3 and i will never go back

What switch and color backlight did you get?

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 | CM Hyper 212 Evo | MSI ZH77A-G43 | HyperX Fury DDR3 8GBx2 | MSI GTX 1060 GAMING X 3GB

Lian-Li PC-A05FN | SanDisk Ultra II 240GB | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 550W | ASUS MG248Q

Cherry G80-3000 (blue) | Ducky 9008 Shine 2 (black/blue LED) | Ducky 9087 Shine 2 Year of the Dragon (brown/yellow LED)

Ducky Mini Year of the Horse (white/blue+red LED) | Steelseries 6Gv2 (black) | Leopold FC660M (red) | Vortex Race 3 (blue)

Logitech G400s | Razer Abyssus Mirror Edition | Razer Goliathus Speed

Steelseries Sensei RAW | SteelSeries Qck | Zowie EC1-ASteelseries Qck+ Fnatic edition

Will maybe post pictures (though I think you guys know what it looks like) About a month or two ago, I purchased a Logitech G910 Orion Spark and I'm loving it so far. 

It's my first mechanical keyboard so I think maybe I can give it a bit more fair review than someone who is so used to cherry keys that this one may feel weird.

I love the actuation and there is a bit of tactile feed back, RGB leaves a bit more to be desired with some colors not being well represented, usually the lighter shades of colors. And the software doesn't come with many lighting modes (a few lighting modes not even in the software come on right when you plug it in aka. faster speeds of rainbow effect and different directions and variations) and there aren't many ways to get new lighting modes (unless you pay for a 3rd party program). 

I was not however bothered at all by the shaped keycaps and found them sort of useful.

TLDR: It's not a bad keyboard. 

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Pullin' caps.  :wub:

az_corsairducky_01.jpg

az_corsairducky_02.jpg

az_corsairducky_03.jpg

az_corsairducky_04.jpg

az_corsairducky_05.jpg

az_corsairducky_06.jpg

az_corsairducky_07.jpg

az_corsairducky_08.jpg

az_corsairducky_09.jpg

az_corsairducky_10.jpg

az_corsairducky_11.jpg

c u r r e n t  /  ROG MAXIMUS Z690 FORMULA  /  I7-12700K  /  2080TI  /  32GB DDR5  /  LIAN LI PC-O11 DYNAMIC

Z170 STINGER  /  6700K  /  TITAN X  /  32GB DDR4  /  NZXT MANTA  /  j u i c e b o x  build log

nohasslemods 

I have the Gigabyte Aivia Osmium with brown switches. It's my only mechanical experience so far, so I can't say if it's an outstanding mechanical keyboard compared to others, but if I compare it to my overall keyboard experience, it's a fucking beast. I really enjoy the typing experience. The usb port (1 2.0 and 1 3.0) is what made me choose this keyboard, as it's the cheapest I found that got them.

So overall, I really like it. Being a programmer, I needed a strong and comfortable keyboard, and that's exactly what I got. If I ever have the money to try an other one, I think I'll go with the das 4 professional.

So this was a while back but I thought I would share it.

I thought my KMAC Happy was looking a bit dirty.

KMAC%20Happy%20needs%20a%20cleaning%20-%

But them OMG there is a cat in my keyboard!

So this was a while back but I thought I would share it.

I thought my KMAC Happy was looking a bit dirty.

But them OMG there is a cat in my keyboard!

Goodness! I thought mine got bad. Do you have pets? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Nice Idea to create a thread for mechanical keyboards. I believe it might be possible to have Linus or Slick create a sub forum for mechanical keyboard related discussion since they both are great fans of mechanical keyboards. I am mostly a Cherry MX blue guy and I have a Das Keyboard Proffessional.

Do mechanical keyboards help people in any way? Ive used one before but it doesnt seem all that special, in facts i could barely tell the difference between an avarage keyboard vs a mechanical one. The only difference i observed was that one has lights and clicks more while the other does not. Why are so many people buying into mechanical keyboards? Seems to me they are just overpriced keyboards. I have a non-mechanical keyboard that i found somewhere in my garage and i can play games just fine with it. Can anyone explain it to me plz?

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

Goodness! I thought mine got bad. Do you have pets?

When that was taken I had 4 cats (now 3)

Do mechanical keyboards help people in any way? Ive used one before but it doesnt seem all that special, in facts i could barely tell the difference between an avarage keyboard vs a mechanical one. The only difference i observed was that one has lights and clicks more while the other does not. Why are so many people buying into mechanical keyboards? Seems to me they are just overpriced keyboards. I have a non-mechanical keyboard that i found somewhere in my garage and i can play games just fine with it. Can anyone explain it to me plz?

Are you choosing to be ignorant or do you want to be educated on it? A decent mech board of any switch type feel leagues better than any basic rubber done or scissor switch board. Also you can get mech board under $50 if you are going budget and there are rubber dome and scissor switch boards that easily vastly exceed that.

When that was taken I had 4 cats (now 3)

Are you choosing to be ignorant or do you want to be educated on it? A decent mech board of any switch type feel leagues better than any basic rubber done or scissor switch board. Also you can get mech board under $50 if you are going budget and there are rubber dome and scissor switch boards that easily vastly exceed that.

Wasn't trying to sound like a ignorant douche, sorry if i made it seem like it, I was just generally asking on how they are better. Ive used a mechanical keyboard before but to be honest i cant feel the difference. It types and plays just as well as a cheap $10 keyboard. I was wondering whether there or not are faster response times or things like that, that make those keyboards worth the price.

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

Wasn't trying to sound like a ignorant douche, sorry if i made it seem like it, I was just generally asking on how they are better. Ive used a mechanical keyboard before but to be honest i cant feel the difference. It types and plays just as well as a cheap $10 keyboard. I was wondering whether there or not are faster response times or things like that, that make those keyboards worth the price.

It all about personal preference and better more reliable build. It's just much more satisfying to type on. Generally speaking once your used to it you can type more accurately quicker. There is stuff like NKRO and the fact that you only need to depress the switch half way that may make them better for gaming potentially.