Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)

Wasn't trying to sound like a ignorant douche, sorry if i made it seem like it, I was just generally asking on how they are better. Ive used a mechanical keyboard before but to be honest i cant feel the difference. It types and plays just as well as a cheap $10 keyboard. I was wondering whether there or not are faster response times or things like that, that make those keyboards worth the price.

don't worry about it @TheProfosist is just overly defensive of his several grand worth of mechanical keyboards he has been collecting lol

It really depends. Some people will not notice much of a change and when you use cheaper keyboards the difference isnt even as noticeable because it doesn't add things like nkro. On my keyboard I can press every button on my keyboard at the same time and have them all register as an individual key no key blocking or limiting to 6 keys and basically only in the wasd area like with more cheaper keyboard. If used correctly you get less impact when typing on mechanical keyboards because you are not bottoming out the key but because most people learn to type on membrane keyboards it is habit to press them all the way down so you have to try to untrain yourself of that to get that benefit. Another thing is they tend to stand up to more abuse then a lot of cheaper keyboards. I have switches that still work fine that are from a keyboard that was made in 1985.

@Charger the majority of keyboards are so unoptimized that they cant even do 6 key they are usually 2-3 key. The Model M is a good example of this.

@Charger the majority of keyboards are so unoptimized that they cant even do 6 key they are usually 2-3 key. The Model M is a good example of this.

even newer $10 Logitech heyboard is 6 keys at least in the wasd area but on the other side it drops to like 3

even newer $10 Logitech heyboard is 6 keys at least in the wasd area but on the other side it drops to like 3

Kinda sad cause even my mouse can do at least 6KRO now [emoji14]

don't worry about it @TheProfosist is just overly defensive of his several grand worth of mechanical keyboards he has been collecting lol

It really depends. Some people will not notice much of a change and when you use cheaper keyboards the difference isnt even as noticeable because it doesn't add things like nkro. On my keyboard I can press every button on my keyboard at the same time and have them all register as an individual key no key blocking or limiting to 6 keys and basically only in the wasd area like with more cheaper keyboard. If used correctly you get less impact when typing on mechanical keyboards because you are not bottoming out the key but because most people learn to type on membrane keyboards it is habit to press them all the way down so you have to try to untrain yourself of that to get that benefit. Another thing is they tend to stand up to more abuse then a lot of cheaper keyboards. I have switches that still work fine that are from a keyboard that was made in 1985.

Ah i see, thanks for the info!

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

It all about personal preference and better more reliable build. It's just much more satisfying to type on. Generally speaking once your used to it you can type more accurately quicker. There is stuff like NKRO and the fact that you only need to depress the switch half way that may make them better for gaming potentially.

Thanks for the info! Pretty interesting to know.

GPU: GTX 7t0 ti    CPU: i5 Quad core    Ram: 4 GB (x2) DDR3    Motherboard: Lenovo Motherboard    PSU: 500w    

Memory: 1 TB

Just ordered G.Skills KM780 RGB Red Cherry Keyboard.  I'm hoping that it will be as good, if not better than the Corsair k70 I have but with USB passthrough!

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

I finally bought an HHKB after wanting one for 3 years...

now the wait.

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

I finally bought an HHKB after wanting one for 3 years...

now the wait.

Still to this day one of my most favorite keyboards. If only it was programmable.

Where did you buy it from?

Still to this day one of my most favorite keyboards. If only it was programmable.

Where did you buy it from?

Elite keyboards seemed to have the best price (215) 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

Elite keyboards seemed to have the best price (215)

They likely will be as they are the only official distributor in the US. They tend to take FOREVER to ship. <.<

They likely will be as they are the only official distributor in the US. They tend to take FOREVER to ship. <.<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maybe i should cancel and order off amazon for a few bucks more.... no.... I will wait... I have a good keyboard I'm using right now... this was purely lust not need.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maybe i should cancel and order off amazon for a few bucks more.... no.... I will wait... I have a good keyboard I'm using right now... this was purely lust not need.

from my experience with keyboard stuff... no one ever has fast shipping lol

So elitekeyboards says that I have to download drivers for the HHKB to work on OSX ????

Also, there is a HHKB on amazon prime (so 2 day shipping....nope not ganna do it)

So elitekeyboards says that I have to download drivers for the HHKB to work on OSX ????

Also, there is a HHKB on amazon prime (so 2 day shipping....nope not ganna do it)

For shortcut support, yes.

For shortcut support, yes.

ok i see and the newest drivers are for mountain lion ... wow thats old. 

ok i see and the newest drivers are for mountain lion ... wow thats old.

That should be new enough to still work fine. Im not a mac person but as long as its 10.6.8 or newer its mostly compatible/supported still.

Just ordered G.Skills KM780 RGB Red Cherry Keyboard.  I'm hoping that it will be as good, if not better than the Corsair k70 I have but with USB passthrough!

I was just playing with that KB couple of days ago..I have to say, in terms of build quality, its very close to the K70. I kinda like it. The only thing that really bothered me was the side rail on both sides, made it a bit bulky for my desk. Otherwise, its good KB. 

I was just playing with that KB couple of days ago..I have to say, in terms of build quality, its very close to the K70. I kinda like it. The only thing that really bothered me was the side rail on both sides, made it a bit bulky for my desk. Otherwise, its good KB. 

I most likely will have it on my lap as i game from the king sized bed in front of a big screen tv :)

I hope it will rest comfy on a lap :)

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

Finally joining the club after wanting to buy a mechanical keyboard for 5 months. I had a k70 with browns before for less than day (a key was broken so I returned it).

I bought a CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate w/ browns. First impressions: this thing is freaking heavy! 1.4kg according to Coolermaster's page. Also browns are exactly as I remembered, really awesome.

lINU502.jpg

Not 100% brightness because my Moto G's potato couldn't focus.

Telling bad jokes since 1996

Intel i5 3470/ Asus P8B75-V / 8GB 1333mhz cheap ass Kingston Ram  / XFX R9 390 / WD Caviar Blue 1TB / Crucial MX 100 256GB / Antec EA650W / Samsung SyncMaster P2370 / Steelseries Apex [RAW] / Logitech G400s / NZXT Phantom White / Moto G 2015 8GB

Well here is all my mechs:

Cherry G80-11800 with MX Clear

2Wg8ljk.jpg?1

Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream Dampened ALPS)

j5MXpEp.jpg?1

KBParadise V60 (Matias Click ALPS) Older picture, now is wearing different keycaps (also that K70 is gone)

zQK06wr.jpg

1993 IBM Model M (also the NPKC Switch tester)

NJ2m4dY.jpg

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

KBParadise V60 (Matias Click ALPS) Older picture, now is wearing different keycaps (also that K70 is gone)

zQK06wr.jpg
love the black and white caps

Well here is all my mechs:

Cherry G80-11800 with MX Clear

2Wg8ljk.jpg?1

Hey I have one of thoes, but with MX browns.

On another note,

sigh....

My Apple Adjustable Keyboard has more keys that are dying, including some of the ones that @Charger fixed.

I think its time to give up and get a new keyboard.

I love the Apple Adjustable Keyboard,

but it is prone to failure

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Hey I have one of thoes, but with MX browns.

On another note,

sigh....

My Apple Adjustable Keyboard has more keys that are dying, including some of the ones that @Charger fixed.

I think its time to give up and get a new keyboard.

I love the Apple Adjustable Keyboard,

but it is prone to failure

do matias switches fit it? lol

maybe its time to move to en ergo dox

now rip the switches out of that keyboard... for science of course.

No im not going to be like some people around here. Im going to properly dismantle and desolder the switches. Likely pause break cause no one needs that.