AMD Radeon Software Crimson slides leaked *Official driver released

An extension of this news thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/477691-goodbye-catalyst-control-center-hello-radeon-sofware/

Videocardz has gotten a hold of the slides for the new RadeOn Crimson drivers

And man does it look good! Here are some of the highlights

VC_AMD-Crimson-Driver-40.jpg

Overview of all the content of the slides. Here are my personal picks for some of the most interesting features:

• Low Framerate Compensation:

VC_AMD-Crimson-Driver-22.jpg

PCPer had an interesting video showing how GSync operates, when going below 30hz (no LCD can go below 30hz as the liquid crystals cannot hold its charge for more than 30ms).

Freesync has so far just shut off or used VSYNC, when going below the minimum framerate of the Adaptive Sync window of the monitor. This introduced the same issues as not having freesync enabled, which voids the point. With Crimson, AMD introduces a new feature called Low Framerate Compensation. Nothing concrete about the practical workings has been leaked yet, so how it works is still up in the air.

I have long spoken for the introduction of a frame buffer, that could get repeated by the GPU, similar to how the GSync module behaves, as seen in the PCPer video.

• Shader Cache

VC_AMD-Crimson-Driver-30.jpg

Shader cache is better caching of a games shaders. Better driver management of shaders can result in lower load times and better shader streaming (like we see in open world games). Again, the inner workings are not disclosed, so we will have to wait and see.

• Something something something dark side..erh I mean Flip Queue Size Optimized

VC_AMD-Crimson-Driver-34.jpg

The general theme of the Crimson driver seems to be massive lowering of latency, be it LiquidVR, Async compute or shader chache. Flip queue size optimization should mate the latency between you performing an action on the mouse or keyboard, to a reaction on the screen be significantly shorter.

• Frame Rate Target Control

VC_AMD-Crimson-Driver-36.jpg

Not new, but much better. Now with a larger window of 30-200 fps. I personally enjoy and use FRTC a lot, but the arbitrary 95 fps limit in Catalyst made little sense. Setting this to the max of your panel makes all kinds of sense, both with and without a freesync panel. Set it to your monitors max hz and enjoy.

The Crimson driver software seems to be very promising. Faster startup, completely new graphical user interface, better performance all around and lower latency for better fps and user input reaction.

I personally think this will launch tomorrow when AMD holds their interview with PCPerspective live. Either that or the day after.

Watch all the slides here: http://videocardz.com/57776/amd-launches-radeon-software-crimson-driver

Update: Official driver has been released on AMD's webpage

Here the Windows 10 64 bit version http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+10+-+64

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Because AMD sure has never used crimson as their color ever before.

Anyway, that's pretty cool , I guess.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

so is AMD the driver/software king now?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

And this is the biggest highlight.

Much more interested in FreeSync low framerate compensation.

All this DirectX talk and not a single mention of Vulkan...

Because the DirectX 12 spec has been finalized, which basically means it exists, while the Vulkan spec has yet to be finalized.

I'm sure once Vulkan has its spec finalized that there will be just as much talk of it if not more.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

looking forward to this, picked a up fury last week.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Improved responsiveness on keyboard and mouse alone is something that would make me switch to AMD from Nvidia. Does anyone know if Nvidia already does this?

Ok... so a lot of smoke and perhaps one interesting application (looks similar in end result to nvidia's dota rendering, but perhaps applied to more games).

Com'on out AMD lets see what happens.

Also please for the love of god stop comparing to ancient shit (both you and Nvidia)... Go figure the driver that predates Battlefront (and the last 3 months of AoS builds) is worse than the up-to-date one. Wow....

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

holy guacamole! pls bring all this features to linux AMD!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

So much cool stuff here. The best feature as far as I'm concerned is the built in monitor overclocking.

post-2767-0-98465000-1448332244.jpg

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

dead api is dead

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

-They are on NDA until the Vulkan release next month.

-until then only Khorons members have access to the Vulkan drivers from AMD,Nvidia and Intel + test applications.

-Crimson release is not the Vulkan enabling driver, and even if it was there is no previous publicly available Vuklan driver to compare performance and boast

The only reason I dont have a Fury X is because of the 4gb of vram on it. It makes me afraid of the future. If they had  a 8 gb version, I would be all over that.

Improved responsiveness on keyboard and mouse alone is something that would make me switch to AMD from Nvidia. Does anyone know if Nvidia already does this?

It's something nvidia showed off when they revealed the gtx 950. Not sure if its exclusive to just the 950 or dota.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

The only reason I dont have a Fury X is because of the 4gb of vram on it. It makes me afraid of the future. If they had  a 8 gb version, I would be all over that.

You don't really need more than 4GB with HBM at the moment as the bus is that wide, a huge frame buffer is not needed, as the data travels far more efficiently than GDDR5

Its like cars travelling on a motorway, GDDR5 = 4 lanes.....lots of traffic = grid lock   HBM = 16 lanes lots traffic flows more freely.

Hope you get what i mean is 3.40am here and i can't think straight.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I wish they include voltage control in their Overdrive setting because I am having trouble running MSI afterburner or Sapphire TriXX in a standard, non-admin Windows account. But AMD Overdrive I have no issues at all, it does not ask for admin permission but the only thing I can adjust is the GPU clock speed, Memory speed, fan profile and Power limit but no voltage control.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

It's something nvidia showed off when they revealed the gtx 950. Not sure if its exclusive to just the 950 or dota.

Looked that up and there's an article on Pcper basically saying that it's just changing some settings in their control panel. They never actually did anything  <_<

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-950-2GB-Review-Maxwell-MOBA/GM206-Maxwell-MOBAs

Took a look at both their slides and AMD is claiming 17ms compared to the 45ms that Nvidia is saying. Nvidia was using their "reduced" vsync option(that's still vsync), so maybe that added to the delay.

I wish they include voltage control in their Overdrive setting because I am having trouble running MSI afterburner or Sapphire TriXX in a standard, non-admin Windows account. But AMD Overdrive I have no issues at all, it does not ask for admin permission but the only thing I can adjust is the GPU clock speed, Memory speed, fan profile and Power limit but no voltage control.

the reason AMD AND NVIDIA doesnt give you voltage control, is that it would open a whole world of hurt with them, as users could fry their cards both intentionally and unintentionally and then just claim they never used the OC feature.

the only way you could combat this as a GPU manufacturer would be to have a tiny say 2MB flash memory embedded on the PCB, designed to store a log file on when the OC utility was activated and the settings you have used...

however, that would prolly cause a few legal issues in and of itself.

the reason AMD AND NVIDIA doesnt give you voltage control, is that it would open a whole world of hurt with them, as users could fry their cards both intentionally and unintentionally and then just claim they never used the OC feature.

the only way you could combat this as a GPU manufacturer would be to have a tiny say 2MB flash memory embedded on the PCB, designed to store a log file on when the OC utility was activated and the settings you have used...

however, that would prolly cause a few legal issues in and of itself

They should have a legal disclaimer that says "...when you enable both Overdrive AND voltage control you will void your warranty" or something like that, I am fine with that. Because at the moment MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TriXX runs absolutely fine with an admin account but the overclock settings never stays intact in a standard user account, when I have friends or family member who I trust, wants to overclock my GPU they have to call me over, get my ass on my computer, run the program, it then asks for admin password, set manual overclock profile again. 

When they logout/shutdown the overclock setting is set to default so I have to repeat the same process when they want to overclock my GPU again and sometimes I am not at home.....

Which is funny because AMD Overdrive never asks for admin permission even on a Standard User account and the settings I changed in Overdrive are saved in the standard user account and I do not need to touch it again even after shutdown, but with MSI Afterburner and other OC utility I have to always run as admin which prompts "ask admin for permission UAC" on a Standard User account and I have to do this everytime they logout/shutdown. My situation would be completely resolved if they have that voltage control so that I will only use Overdrive instead of MSI Afterburner, this is the only thing I want in life right now xD

People say I should use the program RunAsAdmin, I'll look into it.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

They should have a legal disclaimer that says "...when you enable both Overdrive AND voltage control you will void your warranty" or something like that, I am fine with that. Because at the moment MSI Afterburner or Sapphire TriXX runs absolutely fine with an admin account but the overclock settings never stays intact in a standard user account, when I have friends or family member who I trust, wants to overclock my GPU they have to call me over, get my ass on my computer, run the program, it then asks for admin password, set manual overclock profile again. 

When they logout/shutdown the overclock setting is set to default so I have to repeat the same process when they want to overclock my GPU again and sometimes I am not at home.....

Which is funny because AMD Overdrive never asks for admin permission even on a Standard User account and the settings I changed in Overdrive are saved in the standard user account and I do not need to touch it again even after shutdown, but with MSI Afterburner and other OC utility I have to always run as admin which prompts "ask admin for permission UAC" on a Standard User account and I have to do this everytime they logout/shutdown. My situation would be completely resolved if they have that voltage control so that I will only use Overdrive instead of MSI Afterburner, this is the only thing I want in life right now xD

People say I should use the program RunAsAdmin, I'll look into it.

AMD already have that in Overdrive.

when you first try to activate it, it prompts you with a disclaimer saying you will void your warranty and AMD takes no responsibility for whatever happens to your PC when you OC.

This has been a thing for at minimum 3,5 years (thats how long ive been using AMD parts and OCd them).

The thing is, ATM, there is no log files or telemetry PROVING you hit yes or no on that button. SO atm, AMD relies on people being dumb enough to admitt having clicked YES.... most doesnt even read the disclaimer and simply ignores what it says and clicks yes....

This has never happened to me being hyped about a software....

This feeling is so new.

(⌐■_■)