"Anonymous" declares war on ISIS *Update*

The international activist group Anonymous has declared “war” on ISIS, the extremist militant group that claimed responsibility for the deadly attacks in Paris over the weekend.

Anonymous posted a video to YouTube on Saturday. In the video, a person wearing a Guy Fawkes mask, who claims to represent Anonymous, said the group intends to hunt down the members of ISIS, adding “we will find you, and we will not let you go.”

“We will launch the biggest operation ever against you,” Anonymous said. “Expect massive cyber attacks.”

As for what Anonymous plans to do exactly, that’s uncertain. But Anonymous could disrupt ISIS’s communications (via social media and other websites) through distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks, or it could try hacking ISIS computers to share the identities of its members. For as long as the group has existed, Anonymous has operated almost exclusively online and has done most its work through hacking and these DDoS attacks.

Anonymous’s video against ISIS has been watched nearly a million times on YouTube. The hacktivist collective created a similar video after Charlie Hebdo, the satirical French magazine, was attacked by terrorists in January. Around that time, the group started taking down extremist websites and running social media campaigns against the terrorist organization.

“The French people are stronger than you and will come out of this atrocity even stronger,” Anonymous said in its newest video.

Source: http://www.techinsider.io/anonymous-declares-war-on-isis-2015-11

Responding to the Paris attacks, hacker collective Anonymous has declared war against ISIS by launching what they call their “biggest operation” against the militant group.

In a video posted on YouTube on November 14, a person, who appears to be a man, wearing the group’s signature Guy Fawkes mask says that Anonymous intends to hunt the militant group down. The spokesman mentioned that the group would use hacking to weaken ISIS.

Source: http://time.com/4114182/anonymous-paris-attacks/

Other sources: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11997858/Paris-attacks-Anonymous-declares-war-on-Isil.html

I'm not sure whether Anonymous actually posted this, but if  they did then lots of stuff could be in play here. Considering the amount of hackers out there, I won't be surprised if hackers will play a role in the "war" of theirs. There is still a big possibility that this video may be real considering the actions they took last January.

Update:

Some Anonymous members are complaining about the 'war' on ISIS

The hacker group Anonymous on Sunday declared "war" on ISIS, but not all of them are rallying behind the cause.

A hacker affiliated with the group who goes by the name "X" told Tech Insider in an email on Tuesday that he "does not agree with ... nor [would he] actively support" Operation ISIS, though he'd never disrespect another Anonymous member's operation if it was in line with the group's central principles. "Some ops are better than others," he said.

His primary complaint: The main beneficiary of any cyberattacks against ISIS would be the U.S. government and NATO countries, which he explains, have been after him and members of Anonymous for years.

"These very same organizations have long listed Anonymous as a 'foreign terrorist group' right along with ISIS, and for this reason Anonymous has been for several years at war with NATO and the USA," X told TI. To be clear, the U.S. State Department designates foreign terrorist organizations and Anonymous is not among them, though X is likely referring to comments made by former NSA Director Gen. Keith Alexander in 2012.

"It seems rather foolish to me to be aiding our mortal enemies, who lock up and even torture Anons — in a fight against an evil that they themselves actually created. If the USA and Europe were willing to release our Anon POW's, and agree to stop attacking us - in exchange for our rather ample assistance against ISIS, well - that might be different. Until then, I say let NATO and the USA fight their own monsters. At least the resources they will need to dedicated to hunting ISIS can not be used to hunt Anons."

X — who can be easily identified with a Google search but asked TI to use only his online name — says he is not alone within Anonymous in his position. 

Other dissenters have posted letters at Pastebin, like an Anon hacker named "Discordian," who offered four critiques against Operation Paris (the name taken on after the Paris, France terror attacks last week also referred to as Operation ISIS). His chief concerns are the operation name, motives behind its launch, the media attention its been getting, and whether Anonymous can deliver on its promises.

"This has nothing to do with stopping ISIS (didn't we already have Operation ISIS?) It's about stroking the ego of Anonymous in a desperate attempt to be relevant," the Anon wrote. This view from inside Anonymous is shared outside by at least one of Anonymous' biggest detractors, a hacker called The Jester, who told TI he believed it would be "the usual case of Anonymous jumping on a big news story."

But perhaps it is Discordian's third point which is most interesting:

"Under section #7 of the rules of the internet, it clearly states 'Anonymous is still able to deliver,'" he writes. "How exactly do they plan to stop an international terrorist organization that has been able to plot attacks regardless of the mass-spying by governments around the globe? Taking down their communications may disrupt valuable intelligence that can be used to track down these terrorists."

Surprisingly, the public debate within Anonymous has been quite civil. In response Discordian, "Backslash" — who helps run the 248,000 follower strong @GroupAnon Twitter account — also wrote at Pastebin that "perhaps Anonymous needs a wider debate on this subject."

He writes (edited for clarity): "Discordian is also right to point out that #OpParis, and admittedly to some extent #OpISIS, may be a hindrance in some instances, disrupting vital intelligence. We have been happy to work with global intelligence agencies to provide them with the information we have gained by infiltrating jihadi networks. We should not be afraid to work with governments if our goals are aligned. #GhostSec has been successful in thwarting actual planned attacks. However, we urge anons to be cautious — don’t act recklessly. If you really want to fight Daesh, listen to Discordian and others, and act intelligently. Don’t make empty promises."

He added: "I only hope we can be united."

So far, Anonymous is claiming it's helped get more than 5,000 pro-ISIS Twitter accounts shut down, with no sign the operation is slowing. "No IS member shall rest," the group announced on its new website for the operation, referring to an acronym for the Islamic State.

Source: http://www.techinsider.io/anonymous-war-isis-gripes-2015-11

It's good they do this, but I don't think the gov's take their information serious. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

A bit late for this...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

More people disrupting ISIL the better.

Quote my post if you need me to respond.

I feel bad for Paris and all but LOL a hacker group,that ask people,on twitter which game servers to take down next is goomg agaisnt ISIS?

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I feel bad for Paris and all but LOL a hacker group,that ask people,on twitter which game servers to take down next is goomg agaisnt ISIS?

if it really IS anonymous, they can do quite a bit. they have unmasked 1000 KKK members and help take down essentially a dictator in india so...

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

not just some hacker they're the real shit

Idk, they've taken down entire isps before.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Source: http://www.techinsider.io/anonymous-declares-war-on-isis-2015-11

Source: http://time.com/4114182/anonymous-paris-attacks/

Other sources: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11997858/Paris-attacks-Anonymous-declares-war-on-Isil.html

I'm not sure whether Anonymous actually posted this, but if  they did then lots of stuff could be in play here. Considering the amount of hackers out there, I won't be surprised if hackers will play a role in the "war" of theirs. There is still a big possibility that this video may be real considering the actions they took last January.
anonymous be like: imma firin mah lazor (at isis)

imma_firin_mah_lazer_by_kittyangel54-d3b

Idk, they've taken down entire isps before.

Oh I know I Just find it funny, if ISIS finds them, they are screwed.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Nobody knows who they are, how would a prehistoric terrorist group be able to find them?

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

WW3 I'm telling you.

A bit late for this...

yeah, i mean they have been raiding ISIS twitter accounts and some bank accounts too for MONTHS. This is their second declaration of war.

Or rather, this is the second group within the "anonymous" umbrella. Because that is waht it is, an umbrella term for "faceless hacker".

WW3 I'm telling you.

Nah, IS doesn't want war. They know they wouldn't stand a chance as soon as America or Russia plant down some boots. They's spread everywhere and live among us. They want to plant fear in people's brains to make them surrender.

I don't think you realise what Anonymous is or how they operate...

Governments have been trying to find them for years.

They are a hackers collective, and they hack who they want to hack. And they seem to be pretty darn good at it.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Is this the famous hacker 4chan?

The system administrator who knew his way around and how to hack things and just ran "this password app".

I lol every time. Even the media has no clue.

This will probably be as successful as they were against the mexican cartels.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

To be honest action really needs to be taken to stop ISIS so doing anything in any shape or form is something positive but I think its barely going to affect ISIS one bit,

They are a hackers collective, and they hack who they want to hack. And they seem to be pretty darn good at it.

and the most important thing is they do it for "humanity" not for fun

they already did many cool things to punish the really bad guys

if it really IS anonymous, they can do quite a bit. they have unmasked 1000 KKK members and help take down essentially a dictator in india so...

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

The government can't find them because they're entirely decentralized. There's literally nothing to find.

I really hope that Anonymous can actually put some muscle behind their declaration this time. They can take down ISPs, but I don't know how they'll fare against ISIS. It's gonna be interesting.

At least they're one renegade group I could get behind.

and we all know that they'll be a thousand times more effective than the government efforts. All this bulk data collection and the govern couldn't find a single thing that alluded to the attacks in Paris.

I really hope that Anonymous can actually put some muscle behind their declaration this time. They can take down ISPs, but I don't know how they'll fare against ISIS. It's gonna be interesting.

They released a list of IS twitters and stuff fairly soon after Charlie Hebdo. Released a list of KKK members.

And that's people trying to hide.

IS members openly post shit on twitter, If you search for the right keywords even I could find some IS accounts.