Jetpacks are finally a reality, but it will still be a while before public release.

Could be classed as technology, so I posted it here.

Original Source:

Not much to say about this since I have only seen the video so far, but jet packs (that we think of, not quad rotors ect),

are finally a reality and have been shown off working in the video above.

The pilot (Don't know the name yet, will update when found out) managed to complete a successful 10 minute flight

in NYC. The flight was carried out over water, but that was for the pilots safety and not for the 

jet pack to operate.

EDIT: The pilots name is David Mayman, who has been working for over 25 years to make his dream a reality with the help of Nelson Tyler, who has been working on the idea for over 45 years.

In the video you can see the pilot take off, do some fly-bys of the Stature of Liberty, and landing on what looks to be a barge. He also gets a bit daring

and increased his altitude in front of the Statue of Liberty to higher than he was when he was in motion.

My Thoughts?

HOLY BALLS! I want one sooo bad, but it will take along time before it becomes commercially available to the public and 

you would most likely have to pass a pilots test. But the fact that this is do-able now, imagine in a few years time,

with newer technologies and shrinking the size of devices while still keeping the same power output.

Your Thoughts? Please leave them down below!

EDIT: Visit the companies page, it covers their plan, how many revisions and tests they have done ect.

http://jetpackaviation.com/

EDIT: Let me be clear, Jet packs have existed for a long time, some dating to around the 1950's, but this is the first one I have seen that is relatively small, easy to carry and has a fair amount of range (10 minutes is not long but it is decent grounds for improvement)

Some people are saying this will not become publicly available, and you would most probably be right, in this form. In the future, I have no doubt that stuff like this would be available, but going back to what I said earlier, you will most likely have to pass tests and obtain qualifications for one. Also, yes there will be the stupid people who may ruin it, but there are stupid people who ruin driving. The brains on this planet out-weigh the stupid, in my opinion. So give humanity a chance, please? Have a little hope?

Edited by Alexp10v2

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Wow, I can imagine all the youtubers who will be selling their swegways to buy one of these :P

Seriously, I want one though :)

Intel i5 4690k | NZXT Kraken x61 | MSI z97 Gaming 5 | MSI GTX 970 EVGA Supernova G2 750 G-Skill Ripjaws 16GB 2133mhz [2x8] | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB SSD NZXT H440 [black and Red]

Saving for a Dream rig :)

dont think they will ever be commercially available.. way too dangerous, not just for the pilot

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

not the first jetpack ever made but it is the most functional and closest to what we thought a jet pack would be like

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Cool, but I think it will be a while before personal air transport becomes a thing. Pretty dangerous for regular people to operate, both to the pilot and to others around him. The skies will be filled with out of control jetpacks :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Are those jets or a modified jet or something else?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

not the first jetpack ever made but it is the most functional and closest to what we thought a jet pack would be like

It's not the first, yes, but it is one of the smallest which can be carried by the pilot without too much difficulty.  

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

dont think they will ever be commercially available.. way too dangerous, not just for the pilot

Cool, but I think it will be a while before personal air transport becomes a thing. Pretty dangerous for regular people to operate, both to the pilot and to others around him. The skies will be filled with out of control jetpacks :P

This. It can't be that easy to fly one, and even if it is, at some point someones going to tell their friend, "hold my beer and watch this" and ruin it. Or someone stupid will.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

If you think that is cool, look at this.

https://youtu.be/_VPvKl6ezyc

I did see that earlier, that is amazing. The one thing with that is the pilots couldn't do VTOL like this one, they had to glide from a near by helicopter. But amazing never the less.

Also to add a video, use the share link on YT.

(Removed link due to person adding it to their original reply)

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

should never be able for public use.......lmao

I will be satisfied once I make my suit with solid fuel thrusters instead of a parachute, activate them for 20 or so seconds from the ground and land relatively safely. Of course I will need to automate the suit so it stabilizes automatically...

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

If you think that is cool, look at this.

I remember they had a Car vs ... race against one of those on Top Gear some years back.

That video, though, is pretty sweet.

Some of those shots are amazing.

things we already know....reaffirmed.....woaahh

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

This is gonna be a problem for Department of Transportation and big car/oil companies not to mention homeland security and immigration services.

Needs regulated before someone flies way too high, dangerous places i.e airports and before someone causes problems with public utilities like powerlines.

It probably won't get as adopted like drone hobby is now, not just for the pricing but rather big car companies will oppose anything that threatens their interests. One example is hybrid cars existing in the 1970's but not implemented til now.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Lets Say This Is The First "Pratical" One,But Its Still Not That Practical

Tim Wilson would be proud, may god rest his soul.

Lyrics not safe for work, but it'd be a sweet way to get fired.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Tim Wilson would be proud, may god rest his soul.

Lyrics not safe for work, but it'd be a sweet way to get fired.

Damn right that the lyrics are NSFW, but damn that made me laugh, Thanks.

Ryze of the Phoenix: