zMeul

source:

---

and here is the interesting bit:

szYSa82.png

there is quite a noticeable difference between 2133Mhz RAM and 2666Mhz

they also ran tests with the older i3:

3G1YJbL.png

maybe Linus / Luke would take another crack at RAM frequency influence in CPU bound scenarios

Why wouldn't it matter in CPU bound scenarios? This has been a thing for quite some time now.

Anything that can make the CPU faster at doing whatever it's doing helps in CPU bound scenarios.

Also IIRC this is a repost, somebody already made a big thread about this stuff like last week or so, will see if I can find it

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Also IIRC this is a repost, somebody already made a big thread about this stuff like last week or so, will see if I can find it

last week!? this was just posted by Eurogamer

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

no this is bs ram doesnt give such insane performance benefits from 1600 to 2133 or 2133 to 2666, the i3 probably has glitches or worse memory controllers that makes it seem it performs better with higher freq ram, any i5 i7 or extreme cpu show no improvement in gaming with better ram and dedicated gpus only the onboard graphics benefits as always

in the video 3:16 with ryse son of rome from 40 fps 2133 to 100+fps on 2666 THAT IS BULLCRAP stupid reviewer thats a clear bug/glitch in hardware with i3 since it shows signs in the other games too, if its true that it gets such benefits its because of the glitch and not because of 533 extra ram mhz

or its because of the imbalance of an i3 with titanx 

if it werent an i3 glitch then why i5 and i7 skylake get no benefits at all from 2133 to 2666

no this is bs ram doesnt give such insane performance benefits from 1600 to 2133 or 2133 to 2666, the i3 probably has glitches or worse memory controllers that makes it seem it performs better with higher freq ram, any i5 i7 or extreme cpu show no improvement in gaming with better ram and dedicated gpus only the onboard graphics benefits as always

in the video 3:16 with ryse son of rome from 40 fps 2133 to 100+fps on 2666 THAT IS BULLCRAP stupid reviewer thats a clear bug/glitch in hardware with i3 since it shows signs in the other games too, if its true that it gets such benefits its because of the glitch and not because of 533 extra ram mhz

if it werent an i3 glitch then why i5 and i7 skylake get no benefits at all from 2133 to 2666

This is only in situations with very high CPU overhead. You will not notice this on fast CPU's, or heavily optimized games.

This is not some recent development. This has been common knowledge for a few years now. http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios (Thread is over a year old, and its based on claims that were made long before its existence too)

While this might be news for some people, a lot of us that use slower CPU's (Pentiums, i3's, etc) we have known this fact for quite some time.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

last week!? this was just posted by Eurogamer

They posted the video with the results last week too. I was surprised to see them reprise it, but I guess I can understand since it goes so strongly against what most gamers have believed for years.

Iirc every intel processor of the same architecture and socket is built exactly the same, just that all of them except for the i7s have some cache and either hyperthreading or cores disabled, so the memory controller is the same on all of them.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

the money spend for the faster ram could have bought you an i5. consider that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the money spend for the faster ram could have bought you an i5. consider that.

Faster memory is pretty cheap though. The difference between 8gb of 2133mhz and 2800mhz is roughly $10-$15 on average. The issue would be getting a board that can run them at those speeds. The difference between a Z and H board can be hefty depending on features and form factor. That being said, i would rather someone invest in a better board + ram, with a cheaper CPU, than the other way around.

That, and one can still just overclock any kit of memory they get. Plenty of headroom going from 1.2V to 1.35V.

That being said, i would rather someone invest in a better board + ram, with a cheaper CPU, than the other way around.

as long as the motherboard is decent it won't give you any problems, the only downsides are less features - if you're on a budget a better cpu is definitely a better idea. Also consider ram latencies - the difference for a higher frequency kit may not be high, but if the latencies are the same the prices climb quickly. I'd also like to point out that crysis 3 and especially ac unity are not good samples to represent the majority of games.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yea I've seen that video a while ago, I'm still unsure, is this just a thing for skylake i3's?

Techbuyersguru made a test a year back and found miniscule difference jumping from 1600->2400

Heck Linus himself did a video 2 years ago and found absolutely no difference. At least for average fps.

This is only in situations with very high CPU overhead. You will not notice this on fast CPU's, or heavily optimized games.

This is not some recent development. This has been common knowledge for a few years now. http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios (Thread is over a year old, and its based on claims that were made long before its existence too)

While this might be news for some people, a lot of us that use slower CPU's (Pentiums, i3's, etc) we have known this fact for quite some time.

What CPU was the BradleyW guy using? I can't seem to find it.

as long as the motherboard is decent it won't give you any problems, the only downsides are less features - if you're on a budget a better cpu is definitely a better idea. Also consider ram latencies - the difference for a higher frequency kit may not be high, but if the latencies are the same the prices climb quickly. I'd also like to point out that crysis 3 and especially ac unity are not good samples to represent the majority of games.

From what I (and others at OCN) have tested, Cas Latency seems to have little to no impact on FPS. So far, clock has been king in these tests. That's not to say one should ignore Cas latency, as we all know its best to have a good balance between the two. That being said, The cheapest 8gb kit of DDR4 i could find, was $46 ($36 after rebate) and the cheapest 8gb 3200mhz kit i could find, was $50. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-psd48g21332h

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-992202t

When on a budget, one is likely to choose the cheapest options everywhere, including board quality. Those locked H boards will not support the higher clocked memory. Investing in a more expensive board to enable memory overclocking would be ideal, assuming someone understands the headache and math of memory overclocking.

Yea I've seen that video a while ago, I'm still unsure, is this just a thing for skylake i3's?

Techbuyersguru made a test a year back and found miniscule difference jumping from 1600->2400

Heck Linus himself did a video 2 years ago and found absolutely no difference. At least for average fps.

What CPU was the BradleyW guy using? I can't seem to find it.

He was using a 3930k clocked to 4.5ghz. 

From what I (and others at OCN) have tested, Cas Latency seems to have little to no impact on FPS. So far, clock has been king in these tests. That's not to say one should ignore Cas latency, as we all know its best to have a good balance between the two. That being said, The cheapest 8gb kit of DDR4 i could find, was $46 ($36 after rebate) and the cheapest 8gb 3200mhz kit i could find, was $50. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/patriot-memory-psd48g21332h

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/mushkin-memory-992202t

When on a budget, one is likely to choose the cheapest options everywhere, including board quality. Those locked H boards will not support the higher clocked memory. Investing in a more expensive board to enable memory overclocking would be ideal, assuming someone understands the headache and math of memory overclocking.

He was using a 3930k clocked to 4.5ghz. 

That's possibly also because the actual latency (in terms of time) associated with the column strobe is the CL number of clock cycles divided by the clockspeed, so RAM with faster clockspeeds usually has similar or even lower latency than slower kits with lower CL numbers.

E.g., the latency for the column strobe associated with a CL 9 DDR3-1600 kit would be  (9 cycle)/(800 MHz) = 11.25 nanosecond  (1 MHz = 10^6 cycle/second), while for a CAS 13 DDR3-2400 kit it would be (13 cycle)/(1200 MHz) = 10.83 nanosecond.

Iirc every intel processor of the same architecture and socket is built exactly the same, just that all of them except for the i7s have some cache and either hyperthreading or cores disabled, so the memory controller is the same on all of them.

Yes, most Intel consumer processors comes from the same wafer.

Doesn't mean they can't disable certain parts or "nerf" it for segmentation.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

That's also because the actual latency (in terms of time) associated with the column strobe is the CL number of clock cycles divided by the clockspeed, so RAM with faster clockspeeds usually has similar or even lower latency than slower kits with lower CL numbers.

E.g., the latency for the column strobe associated with a CL 9 DDR3-1600 kit would be  (9 cycle)/(800 MHz) = 11.25 nanosecond  (1 MHz = 10^6 cycle/second), while for a CAS 13 DDR3-2400 kit it would be (13 cycle)/(1200 MHz) = 10.83 nanosecond.

Exactly. People often complain about the DDR4 latency, but they forget what it is rated for. It can support up to 4266mhz. We already have 4266 CL19 kits available to us. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f44266c19d8gtz I would NEVER pay that price for such a kit, but just saying. We have reached that number already.

I've seen this, wasn't surprised much though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

snip

If luke and linus is gonna include FX, i hope they use a proper board that supports 2133 DDR3 and doesnt just run off sprouting bullshit about lower end AMD boards not supporting more then 1600...

Exactly. People often complain about the DDR4 latency, but they forget what it is rated for. It can support up to 4266mhz. We already have 4266 CL19 kits available to us. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f44266c19d8gtz I would NEVER pay that price for such a kit, but just saying. We have reached that number already.

well, i will not argue with you on DDR4 being rated for higher speeds. and Patrick may be right that internal latencies has been reduced (as usual i couldnt find any sources even after an hour of googling)

however, around the 2400MHz mark, DDR3 with way lower latency is still cheaper, AND FASTER, because its like CL10 vs CL 15 or at best CL 13

If luke and linus is gonna include FX, i hope they use a proper board that supports 2133 DDR3 and doesnt just run off sprouting bullshit about lower end AMD boards not supporting more then 1600...

well, i will not argue with you on DDR4 being rated for higher speeds. and Patrick may be right that internal latencies has been reduced (as usual i couldnt find any sources even after an hour of googling)

however, around the 2400MHz mark, DDR3 with way lower latency is still cheaper, AND FASTER, because its like CL10 vs CL 15 or at best CL 13

Yup, and density plays a large role too. I have a buddy that has a 2x4gb kit of Samsung memory that is 2400mhz CL9. Granted, it does not come this way out of the box (It's normally 1600mhz CL9) but it overclocks so well. 

DDR4 is getting cheaper thanks to Skylake. I also believe Zen will help push the prices down even further once the AMD fans get their champion platform to rally behind. 

That being said, at least with the topic at hand, latency does not mean that much for gaming. At least from what i could tell with my current tests on DDR3 (My Z170 board and DDR4 memory will arrive tomorrow, so i will conduct further tests once those arrive, using a G4400). It just seems that games only care about high memory clock speeds. So even a 2800 C15 kit might still out perform a 2400 C12 kit in gaming. I won't say for absolute certainty yet, until i can prove it with my own testing. Just something to keep in mind from what we are seeing so far with that old OCN thread, and that new i3 video.

Yup, and density plays a large role too. I have a buddy that has a 2x4gb kit of Samsung memory that is 2400mhz CL9. Granted, it does not come this way out of the box (It's normally 1600mhz CL9) but it overclocks so well. 

DDR4 is getting cheaper thanks to Skylake. I also believe Zen will help push the prices down even further once the AMD fans get their champion platform to rally behind. 

That being said, at least with the topic at hand, latency does not mean that much for gaming. At least from what i could tell with my current tests on DDR3 (My Z170 board and DDR4 memory will arrive tomorrow, so i will conduct further tests once those arrive, using a G4400). It just seems that games only care about high memory clock speeds. So even a 2800 C15 kit might still out perform a 2400 C12 kit in gaming. I won't say for absolute certainty yet, until i can prove it with my own testing. Just something to keep in mind from what we are seeing so far with that old OCN thread, and that new i3 video.

yes, the benchmarks in the OP does show little improvement. BUT!

here is a great example... (i will stick to AMD for this, because they got CHEAP boards supporting the speed)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($97.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Silicon Power Xpower 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory  ($41.17 @ Amazon)

Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $236.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-05 17:07 EST-0500

here you see the cheapest 1600 RAM and cheapest 2400 RAM i could find...

CL 9 and CL 11 respectively... while you can get a 2400MHz CL 10 kit for 5 bucks more hten the CL 11 one, i decided to go "cheap ass vs cheap ass" for a better comparison.

we see that going from 1600 to 2133 gives roughly 5 FPS... so going from 1600 to 2400 should net you AT LEAST 6 FPS... maybe 7... for 8 USD more...

imagine how much you pay pr FPS when it comes to GPUs and CPUs.... paying 8 bucks more for faster RAM, if the motherboard supports it, may have some merits.

i also concur about DDR4 prices. However at the lower end, DDR3 will likely remain king for a while, as they got way way way lower latencies... so until DDR4 hits around CL 12-13 as the "average" latency, it will be "too slow" to be really worth it over DDR3 options.

I know for a fact that increasing the frequency of the SDRAM that was being used with my Celeron 500 (increased independent of the CPU that is since no overclocks were stable with that CPU) leads to massive performance boosts (it was going from 66MHz to 150MHz). And that was before the turn of the millennium.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL