Black Ops 3 on PC will require 60GB of space

Source: http://www.thetechgame.com/News/sid=8931/black-ops-3-on-pc-will-require-60gb-of-space.html

The Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 listing on Steam has been updated to reflect the amount of available hard drive space players will need to play Black Ops 3 on PC.

Players will need 60 GB of space to download the game. Treyarch revealed the minimum specs for the game earlier this year, which can be found detailed below.

• OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD Phenom™ II X4 810 @ 2.60 GHz
  • Memory: 6 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 470 @ 1GB / ATI® Radeon™ HD 6970 @ 1GB
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 60 GB available space
  • Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

P:S: Windows 10 incompatible?!  :o  :(

Why do games require so much to download/install these days? Content? Texture? Sound (looking at you TitanFall lol)?

Games like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, and Battlefield 3 were less than 20GBs.

Xbox 360 games were under 10GBs and now Xbox One games have to use a Blu-Ray disc (~46GBs) plus Day One patches/updates.

Specs are decent.

And that was to be expected, this size. With games like GTA V being around that size and some a bit under it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I wouldn't worry about the Windows 10 thing, usually when they list a version of Windows it's that or higher.

And I will never understand worries about the size of games.  That's the one spec that's pretty much harmless, so take comfort in that :)  It's not like coming out and saying it's going to need 980Ti x 2 minimum

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

eFqlf4v.gif

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Far Cry 3 has the most compressed low quality audio I have ever heard in a modern AAA game.

project cars takes the biscuit for the most compressed sounds, not to mention even being compressed and then having shitty distortion tacted on as if it wasnt bad enough, then they just make it louder and people are like the sounds are good.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

That is freaking stupid as hell.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The amount of space this Game will need on my HDD will be exact 0,0MB

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Far Cry 3 has the most compressed low quality audio I have ever heard in a modern AAA game.

You think that's bad see Saints Row 2

On topic: the fuck are they doing? Using uncompressed textures? Extremely high poly models? Uncompressed 7.1 channel sound?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Who cares. 2tb hdds for £50 and people moan about 60gb

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

So GTA V is ~70 gigs, and the game that has 1/10th its depth is 60?

Unpacked soundfiles are 40gb of it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I imagine there is a empty 30gb text file named stuff that says trolled in notepad when you open it

Why do games require so much to download/install these days? Content? Texture? Sound (looking at you TitanFall lol)?

The answer is simple, it's not worth the time it would take to shrink it. The cost of labor to make it take up less space isn't warranted due to how cheap storage is becoming. 

Which is exactly why games are taking up more and more space, devs know most people aren't limited by storage right now. It's literally not even worth their time to shrink the game files. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Unpacked soundfiles are 40gb of it.

Either way, a huge and detailed open world game being slightly bigger than a linear shooter for consoles is... something, audio files or not. AFAIK GTA scales up to 8k, with proper textures and stuff, pretty sure BO3 is not going to be able to do that (correct me if I'm wrong).

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

People with slow internet connection and bandwidth caps care. Of course they can go out and buy a physical copy with like 5+ DVDs if BO3 does that. Some disks sport a steam code and then these people are screwed. You must care for your minority (unless slow internet users are a majority i dunno).

The answer is simple, it's not worth the time it would take to shrink it. The cost of labor to make it take up less space isn't warranted due to how cheap storage is becoming. 

Which is exactly why games are taking up more and more space, devs know most people aren't limited by storage right now. It's literally not even worth their time to shrink the game files. 

Good observation. Yes, storage is getting cheaper and cheaper, but downloads aren't exactly getting faster at the same rate. Where geographically slow internet users can take advantage of the declining price trend of storage, they cannot do the same with internet speeds. That would require a decline of price in infrastructure changes and improvements.

Good observation. Yes, storage is getting cheaper and cheaper, but downloads aren't exactly getting faster at the same rate. Where geographically slow internet users can take advantage of the declining price trend of storage, they cannot do the same with internet speeds. That would require a decline of price in infrastructure changes and improvements.

However, something to keep in mind is that if someone can manage to download a 20gb game, then 60gb really isn't that much worse (One might take three times as long, but if you can reasonably download 20gb, then you can reasonably download 60gb). Plus most people have decent enough internet to where they can download it within a reasonable amount of time. Even two days to download is probably faster than the alternatives years ago before downloading was an option (when you would often have to wait for a parent to take you to the store). 

TL;DR Even more reasonably sized games would be a problem for those people. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

60...? The compressed files are going to take me about a week to download. Another reason to not buy this game, I guess.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |