Nvidia's Domination of the Market - This is Bad

Khajiit Dealer

Whether or not we like it, we need to look at the cold hard facts. Nvidia is absolutely blowing away AMD in regards to market share, with the former holding a commanding a huge share of the market: http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/08/21/amd-owns-only-18-of-graphics-card-market-share-nvidia-rises-over-the-80-mark/ (Mercury Research - http://www.mercuryresearch.com/graphics-pr-2015-q3.pdf)

Things are looking more and more bleak for AMD and it looks like we're on the verge of a monopoly. I'm seriously hoping that DX12 makes AMD more competitive, if not it looks like Nvidia will continue its current trend.

Monopolies stifle innovation and raise prices for us as consumers, which is the opposite of what we want. I honestly don't know what to do to remedy this. There are laws and restrictions in place to prevent monopolies from forming, but I'm doubtful that these precautions will fully limit the damage of AMD going under or continuing to lose market share. 

I understand that this is like beating a dead horse, but the trend is not reversing as many predicted. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

Soooooooooooooooooooo where have you been the last few months?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Soooooooooooooooooooo where have you been the last few months?

Peeking out from under a rock.

The problem is that the trend is not reversing, as many predicted. 

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Isn't their market share in processors a lot worse? A lot needs to change for AMD next year, but I think they'll make it.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

And here we have the big paradox of the free market. Can we allow a company to become a monopoly if that's what the market wants?

Honestly, if NVidia were ever to become the sole participant on the consumer graphics card market, and they were jacking up their prices, there are potential players that could enter the field.

Companies like Samsung, Toshiba and potentially GlobalFoundries could all enter the GPU market if they saw a potential.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

well you kinda show the problem right there in your post.

I'm seriously hoping that DX12 makes AMD competitive again, if not it looks like Nvidia will continue its current trend.

How exactly is AMD not competitive? Prices and performance are pretty similar of not in the total advantage of AMD. Except at the top where the 980ti is better. It's people who think like you and buy Nvidia because of it that are the problem. Not AMD's hardware OR software....

I have no signature

I'm seriously hoping that DX12 makes AMD competitive again, if not it looks like Nvidia will continue its current trend.

Sine when were they not competitive? Just cause nvidia owns 80% of the market doesn't mean there not competitive.  Now if your talking cpu's sure.

well you kinda show the problem right there in your post.

How exactly is AMD not competitive? Prices and performance are pretty similar of not in the total advantage of AMD. Except at the top where the 980ti is better. It's people who think like you and buy Nvidia because of it that are the problem. Not AMD's hardware OR software....

The main problem people that I know have with AMD compared to Nvidia is power consumption and heat. 

Isn't their market share in processors a lot worse? A lot needs to change for AMD next year, but I think they'll make it.

19553521_14219085400276_0.jpg

NVIDIA.png

The main problem people that I know have with AMD compared to Nvidia is power consumption and heat. 

which is complete bullshit and a completely useless discussion that doesn't even matter.... Read this reaction if you want to know why.

That problem hasn't even existed for over or at least almost 2 years... Im thinking it never existed at all...

I have no signature

Peeking out from under a rock.

The problem is that the trend is not reversing, as many predicted. 

AMD rebadged the 300 series....so its quite easy to understand why their market share just keeps dropping.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

snip

Interesting, so the GPU department is the one doing really bad. Didn't know that.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

AMD rebadged the 300 series....so its quite easy to understand why their market share just keeps dropping.

Yeah, because Nvidia hasn't been rebadging for years now...

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

which is complete bullshit and a completely useless discussion that doesn't even matter.... Read this reaction if you want to know why.

That problem hasn't even existed for over or at least almost 2 years... Im thinking it never existed at all...

Are people not allowed to make their own choices? The gpu market is so close in terms of performance these days that we DO have to look at smaller details when making a decision. When the performance difference is this small, are people not allowed to look for other things like heat output/power consumption, available services, software bundles, ...? All those things rise in value when performance is nearly equal, like it has been for a while.

Also, forgive my rant, but that post you linked actually annoys me.

The poster of that reaction is assuming we all use only electricity to heat our water AND that we leave lightbulbs on when we exit the room.

While the difference in power draw may "only" be 1-2 lightbulbs, all bits help (and then we're not yet talking about cooling, just electricity consumption.)

I've been turning off lights when I leave the room since I can remember, and our water is heated by the sun. I only shower for 10 min tops (and the water isn't on constantly), I already make so much effort to reduce my footstep in those areas, and now you're telling me that I can't want the most efficient hardware for my system just because it makes "just" 2 lightbulbs of difference?

Sure, there's a lot of hypocrites among those "lower TDP = better" guys, but am I not allowed to go a bit further?

As a sidenote: They don't even sell lightbulbs in belgium anymore. Only LED or those other power saving thingies. you know why? Because lightbulbs use too much power.

So sure, it often doesn't have a big impact when compared to other things you can do, but it was enough for me to care about it.

/rant

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Yeah, because Nvidia hasn't been rebadging for years now...

Actually they aren't.  They have in the past rebadged some cards, it is usually only with their budget lineup.   The problem with AMD is that every current card except the Fury lineup is a Rebadge of a rebadge.   

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Actually they aren't.  They have in the past rebadged some cards, it is usually only with their budget lineup.   The problem with AMD is that every current card except the Fury lineup is a Rebadge of a rebadge.

1. Its refreshed there are improvements. A rebadge means NOTHING changed.

2. Why does it matter? Why design a new chip if you already have something with the right price/perf?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

19553521_14219085400276_0.jpg

NVIDIA.png

This graph makes it look a lot worse then it should be :P look how the graph is drawn.. but besides that indeed AMD has a hard time now and i dont understand why.. Almost their whole line up has a better value then nvidia's.

1. Its refreshed there are improvements. A rebadge means NOTHING changed.

2. Why does it matter? Why design a new chip if you already have something with the right price/perf?

Why innovate if you can just keep on selling the same product, amirite?

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Why innovate if you can just keep on selling the same product, amirite?

is it really innovation if you make something brand new that does the exact same thing as the old one? Not to mention and did improve. With the proof of the 390 competing with the 970 and the 390x competing with the 980

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Are people not allowed to make their own choices? The gpu market is so close in terms of performance these days that we DO have to look at smaller details when making a decision. When the performance difference is this small, are people not allowed to look for other things like heat output/power consumption, available services, software bundles, ...? All those things rise in value when performance is nearly equal, like it has been for a while.

The poster of that reaction is assuming we all use only electricity to heat our water AND that we leave lightbulbs on when we exit the room.

While the difference in power draw may "only" be 1-2 lightbulbs, all bits help (and then we're not yet talking about cooling, just electricity consumption.)

I've been turning off lights when I leave the room since I can remember, and our water is heated by the sun. I only shower for 10 min tops (and the water isn't on constantly), I already make so much effort to reduce my footstep in those areas, and now you're telling me that I can't want the most efficient hardware for my system just because it makes "just" 2 lightbulbs of difference?

Sure, there's a lot of hypocrites among those "lower TDP = better" guys, but am I not allowed to go a bit further?

As a sidenote: They don't even sell lightbulbs in belgium anymore. Only LED or those other power saving thingies. you know why? Because lightbulbs use too much power.

So sure, it often doesn't have a big impact when compared to other things you can do, but it was enough for me to care about it.

/rant

^^ What he said

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

510 -> 605 (Fermi GF119)

GT520 -> GT610, GT620 (OEM), 705 (Fermi GF119)

GT530 -> GT620 (retail) (Fermi GF119)

GT440 (DDR3) -> GT630 (DDR3), GT730 (DDR3, 128-bit) (Fermi GF108)

GT440 (GDDR5) -> GT630 (GDDR5) (Fermi GF108)

GT545 (DDR3) -> GT640 (OEM) (Fermi GF116)

GTX560 SE (OEM) -> GT645 (Fermi GF114-400-A1)

GT630 (Kepler) -> GT740 (Kepler GK107)

GT630 (Kepler rev 2) -> GT710, GT720, GT730 (128-bit & GDDR5) (Kepler GK208)

210 -> 405 (OEM) (Tesla GT218)

GTX680 -> GTX770 (Kepler GK104)

I probably missed some aswel...

/rant

So you are eating vegan aswell, then?

If you eat meat you can just do all the other stuff, because if you research it animal products pollute way more than any of that other stuff you do saves...

they improved the cards slightly, and they are still competitive with the Nvidia couterparts. (In fact judging by the DX12 benchmarks they are better in some cases. Not bad for 3? generation old tech)

510 -> 605 (Fermi GF119)

GT520 -> GT610, GT620 (OEM), 705 (Fermi GF119)

GT530 -> GT620 (retail) (Fermi GF119)

GT440 (DDR3) -> GT630 (DDR3), GT730 (DDR3, 128-bit) (Fermi GF108)

GT440 (GDDR5) -> GT630 (GDDR5) (Fermi GF108)

GT545 (DDR3) -> GT640 (OEM) (Fermi GF116)

GTX560 SE (OEM) -> GT645 (Fermi GF114-400-A1)

GT630 (Kepler) -> GT740 (Kepler GK107)

GT630 (Kepler rev 2) -> GT710, GT720, GT730 (128-bit & GDDR5) (Kepler GK208)

210 -> 405 (OEM) (Tesla GT218)

GTX680 -> GTX770 (Kepler GK104)

960 -> 760

I probably missed some aswel...

Except for the 770 none of those are non budget cards.   

If you go back and read my post you will see that I specified that they had done it with budget cards.  

Also lets not forget that at this point AMD has rebadged a rebadge and jacked up the price again.   

It is bad business and it is bad for the industry.  If they would bother to come up with something new maybe they could help push things forward.   Instead they are warming things over again.  The fury is nice but lacking.  The entire 3XX series should have been new.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.