Adblock Plus to Allow Independent Board to Decide Which Ads Are `Acceptable’

jos

Ads are the cancer of the internet.

Ads are the reason we have "free" content, no ads = PPV.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Ads are the reason we have "free" content, no ads = PPV.

"Free" content on the internet that we pay for to ISPs. But I know what you mean and agree half way, I don't mind things like the Sponsor Spots on LTT but I mind when there are ads all over a site, especially when they have sound cause most of those don't mute unless your PC is mute.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

So pretty much any ad.

This was doomed to fail to begin with

This is what happens when someone realizes there is more money to be made, quite sad to be honest.

If this really goes down the drain the way some people are saying it will, it will make one of the most loved browser extensions turn into the biggest flop

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This is what happens when someone realizes there is more money to be made, quite sad to be honest.

If this really goes down the drain the way some people are saying it will, it will make one of the most loved browser extensions turn into the biggest flop

Yeah, my money is on this being really bad for ABP

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Yeah, my money is on this being really bad for ABP

I cant imagine why (other than money) they would go on and do this, they used to be so in touch with their community and they always interacted and listened to what their users said.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

"Free" content on the internet that we pay for to ISPs. But I know what you mean and agree half way, I don't mind things like the Sponsor Spots on LTT but I mind when there are ads all over a site, especially when they have sound cause most of those don't mute unless your PC is mute.

Oh yeah, ads with sound or autoplay are annoying, I do hate those, or when the entire page is full of ads, man that's the worst, fortunately here here on the forum the ads are not intrusive.

YouTube's unskippable ads are also annoying, but if I like the content from a channel I just whitelist it.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

AdBlock has now 100% confirmed that they are implementing the program. There is an option to opt out and block all ads on all websites if you want to, but most people are most likely going to stay with the default Acceptable Ads Program.

​"The Acceptable Ads program has been managed in an open and public forum. Users determined the original criteria and can object in our forum to whitelisting proposals, but since we were the only ad blocker to offer such a compromise we have taken on a large role in the day-to-day maintenance of the criteria. We have been looking for a way to make the Acceptable Ads program completely independent while also updating the criteria to evolve with changing forms of online advertising. An independent board solves both issues."

d312f22c39.png

I wouldn't  mind Amazon ads, just not ones that are annoying af that don't even apply to me 

I once turned off ads on facebook to check one of my ad campaings and I got a freakin' virus. I turn them off only on selected YT channels (LTT is not one of them because I watch videos on Vessel only :P )

I'm glad about this change, hopefully it's enabled for all by default until disabled.

As soon as advertisers figure out that the more obtrusive the advertisement, the fewer people are going to see it, the web will become a better place.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

People need to accept the fact Ad's are staying for as long as the internet is. I never have a problem with it (unless it's an ad in the middle of a song) but that is just poor design. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

This is fine with me. Unobtrusive, and more importantly, malware free ads are completely fine to me. 

I generally use Ad-Block now to actually keep my PC from having some code injected into my browser via 3rd party compromised ad.

Cant read the the quote (dark theme) my eyes!

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I am so use to not seeing advertising on my rigs that when I use a tablet or phone and see them it's always scary how targeted they are with tracking. They know me so well. 

I am so use to not seeing advertising on my rigs that when I use a tablet or phone and see them it's always scary how targeted they are with tracking. They know me so well.

Must be nice. I buy a graphics card and, boom, I get ads for graphics cards weeks later.

Ads for fantasy football after the super bowl.

Get ads for cable TV which I haven't had in years.

And Hulu displays pregnancy test ads in Spanish all the time. I speak almost no spanish. Nor am I a girl.

Must be nice. I buy a graphics card and, boom, I get ads for graphics cards weeks later.

Ads for fantasy football after the super bowl.

Get ads for cable TV which I haven't had in years.

And Hulu displays pregnancy test ads in Spanish all the time. I speak almost no spanish. Nor am I a girl.

What about that spanish speaking girl you slept with?  ;)

dont care about adds in page only dont want to see ads before and during a video..

This is good, this is a step in the right direction. For me, it's not that I have a problem with ads, it's that I have a problem with what ads have become.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

People need to accept the fact Ad's are staying for as long as the internet is. I never have a problem with it (unless it's an ad in the middle of a song) but that is just poor design. 

Think of the not-to-distant future when webpages as HTML text and images are download is no longer a thing.  Instead, every user will have a rendered video feed which is interactive.  At this point, ads will become unavoidable because the connection to the webserver is streaming a video feed of the website to you.  At any point, the video can render whatever it wants and not show any website content for 30 seconds, even after you are on the page for 2 minutes.

Sure, a new type of ad-blocker will come in the form of drawing black boxes over where the pre-calculated banner and image ads would be located for sites, but it still doesn't block the situation where the video feed would cut the website content for at least 30 seconds for a "full screen" ad.

This will happen when servers become so ridiculously powerful as well as Internet connection speed, where it becomes trivial to convert websites into video feeds.

This is why I was never really into ad blocking, because now websites will become even more aggressive in countering ad blockers, and this video-feed solution is basically the be-all, end-all.

Wow, that just confirmed which extension I have was passing through scam websites into new tabs, thanks.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW