Valve: 'Vulkan is the Future, Not Much Reason to Create DX12 Backend'

HKZeroFive

---

Let's hope for a nice competitive relationship...

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

If Vulkan proves to perform the same like DX12 and the driver support is good on Linux, and devs decide to put it on the box. It can become a hit.

I really hope it will be one! 

Just wondering, DX12 support goes quite a long way back on AMD cards, does that actually also count for Vulkan?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

If Vulkan proves to perform the same like DX12 and the driver support is good on Linux, and devs decide to put it on the box. It can become a hit.

I really hope it will be one!

Just wondering, DX12 support goes quite a long way back on AMD cards, does that actually also count for Vulkan?

Still going to have to get over that big catch 22 every other new console has struggled with in the last decade or so. Studios will not develop for a platform unless there is a perceived audience for it. The general public will not buy into a platform unless there are games for it. Neither one wants to go first so you end up with a stalemate. The Wii U is a prime example of this. (Although Nintendo have made some rather silly decisions in the last few years that have not helped them)
Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

The fact it comes to Windows 7 and Linux/OS X makes it a billion times better than DX12, which forces you to downgrade to Windows 10.

Not OS X though... Unless Apple makes a driver for it, which is probably bound to happen anyway. But currently no support.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Still going to have to get over that big catch 22 every other new console has struggled with in the last decade or so. Studios will not develop for a platform unless there is a perceived audience for it. The general public will not buy into a platform unless there are games for it. Neither one wants to go first so you end up with a stalemate. The Wii U is a prime example of this. (Although Nintendo have made some rather silly decisions in the last few years that have not helped them)

Well tbh most pc's support openGL just fine, so i think it will probably be the same with Vulkan. So even tho the main market is fine with DX, there is not really anything needed to make the step to Vulkan, it's even smaller than going from Dx11 to Dx12 so i don't see a reason why devs wouldn't go 4 it.

With DX12 devs limit themself to W10 users, with Vulkan they don't. And i don't really see a disadvantage when going Vulkan atm... Probably lack of benchmarks :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I really REALLY hope that the Devs take this advice to heart, and support Vulkan in a big way. Mainly because I REALLY do not want to switch to windows 10.

I want to be able to play an AAA game on my desktop, save, and continue it on my steam machine.

HTID

I think Gabe is at a point where he has such a large chip on his shoulder that he'd support anything that competes against what ever MS is doing or supports.

I'm by no means saying anything about Vulkan, it could be great it could be awful, I don't know, it is just that Gabe seems so against anything MS is involved with that it could blind him and hurt Valve in the future.

Before win10 release i would of and have said no way but now with the ultimate shit storm win10 is, i can see this being way more feasible.

Right now we have a plethora of DX12 games launching the next 6 months. I have no idea about any Vulkan games coming. Either way OpenGL is a useless poc, so Vulkan is definitely welcome either way.

They could add Vulkan support to DX12 games, like they did with mantle games that also supported DX11.

AMD's performance in OpenGL is pretty bad.

Vulkan is heavily based on mantle, which was created by AMD, I think it should work fine.

if vulken dosnt support consoles then its dead in the water....end of

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Vulkan is heavily based on mantle, which was created by AMD, I think it should work fine.

True but partially relevant only: AMD it's still way behind in Linux driver support. Now there's a lot of promise for their upcoming drivers but it's just not coming fast enough and might only support Fiji (which is not even that easy to find on stores today) so we're still talking 6 to 12 months away from any real Linux + Vulkan + AMD feasibility.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Linux users, raise your glasses. *clink* :D 

Really hoping this come through to fruition. Now to just get all the devs on board... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

if vulken dosnt support consoles then its dead in the water....end of

Yeah, the game industry is so focussed on those brainless sheeps. AAA Publishers cater to them and put less effort to supporting the other platforms.

Main Rig : 5600X, NH-U14s, MSI B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI RTX 3070

Server : i7-7700k, Hyper 212 RGB, ASUS Prime z270, 16GB DDR4 2133, MSI GTX 1070

I really REALLY hope that the Devs take this advice to heart, and support Vulkan in a big way. Mainly because I REALLY do not want to switch to windows 10.

Cross platform means more places to put their games on. Even the likes of EA SHOULD take that to their advantage. If they stubbornly go to DX12... they must be some greedy or stupid cunts... maybe both.

Cross platform means more places to put their games on. Even the likes of EA SHOULD take that to their advantage. If they stubbornly go to DX12... they must be some greedy or stupid cunts... maybe both.

EA is part of the Khronus Group develop in the API. If they do not adopt it, then the API is already dead. You have also got to bare in mind that there is far more at play here then maybe a small number of Linux gamers but they would gain. Microsoft have shown in the past that they are willing to buy loyalty. From a business point of view, if the incentive is good enough, then why would you develop for a rival platform with a small user base.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

-snip If they stubbornly go to DX12... they must be some greedy or stupid cunts... maybe both.

You wanna think about that statement for a minute? It IS EA we're talking about here. The Video Game Industry equivalent of Comcast.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Why are we listening to Valve about this?

You know, the guys that haven't made any games in like a few years.

So what if EA decides to go with DX12 or Vulcan? (i can see them doing both)

We haven't had anything other than synthetic benchmarks to look at. This could change completely when we see the first few DX12 games hit the shelves.

Microsoft more than likely won't sit there and let someone else build a better API, there's always room for improvement.

EA is part of the Khronus Group develop in the API. If they do not adopt it, then the API is already dead. You have also got to bare in mind that there is far more at play here then maybe a small number of Linux gamers but they would gain. Microsoft have shown in the past that they are willing to buy loyalty. From a business point of view, if the incentive is good enough, then why would you develop for a rival platform with a small user base.

Well, I'm unaware of EA being part of the Khronus Group, nor am I aware of Khronus Group's existence. But you have a point. I just wish I could totally ditch Windows for Linux.

You wanna think about that statement for a minute? It IS EA we're talking about here. The Video Game Industry equivalent of Comcast.

I'm just saying if greedy cunts like them would support an API thats crossplatform and somewhat reverse compatible to a degree, why not other lesser cunts in the gaming industry who develops and publishes games? But oh well... I may have needlessly raised my hopes.

"Ginsberg adds that Vulkan is far superior than DX12 in various areas"

Did he elaborate further or did he just throw around some claims?

Well he elaborated on one point where Vulkan just blows D12 out of the water and that's platform compatibility.

Y u gotta be like dis Trik

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You forget that Vulkan benefits from WDDM 2.0 too. It's a large part of DX12's efficiency. As for Linux, neither AMD nor NVidia are going to put the focus needed to get drivers as good or better than the Windows ones.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Well he elaborated on one point where Vulkan just blows D12 out of the water and that's platform compatibility.

True but I'd prefer performance metrics. Closed system or not, I would prefer the more efficient API wins. Not just the open source API because open source. 

When he says various areas I would prefer various benchmarks.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

i dont care about crossplatform, i just want to get the BEST gaming experience. If vulkan beats dx12 on drawcalls, no problem, otherwise i guess i will upgrade to w10

DX 12 will be irrelevant and it should be because its windows 10 only.

Devs must be insane to use DX12 on W10 and DX11 only on vista/7/8/8.1 when theres vulkan equivalent(vulkan will work even on winXP go figure). Its not like they cant swap just the D3D12 component for vulkan and still be able to use dx audio/input etc.

I understand that driver quality will be low on linux since DX windows got most support over the years, but on windows at least OGL/Vulkan can compete to DX, theres no reason to write dx12 anymore its too limited.

Why are we listening to Valve about this?

You know, the guys that haven't made any games in like a few years.

I think the main reason people listen to Valve is that they have set themselves up in a PR position as an 'open-source hero' where they are the ones who are trying to push the idea of playing games on a Linux distro against the established 'closed-source platform' throne of Microsoft.

Valve may not be the first to suggest such an idea, but they have been the ones to push forward the concept further than any attempt before now.

Obviously they are not alone, but the first thing you think of playing games on Linux other than Wine now is Steam and/or Valve.