Open Letter to Linus Media Group

coolfreak

Grow your business into something more than just a ad money machine. Like start a PC shop, something. Or you won't be around in 5 years.

... Everything about this post especially this part. Are you serious dude. Nobody in their right mind would do this.

Open Letter to Linus Media Group;

Howdy, 

Sometimes viewers don't know what to think of what they see. Is that acting? is that real? Is it both? So am not sure what is going on over at Linus Media Group, their Mission statement. Their not much of a company, 

So am rather bothered by the hints of racism that's getting laughs lately.

If that's really how it is and feel sorry for Dennis for being dragged into this company's messy startup. What i do believe is real on the show, is his face expression and the looks nicks give back at him for annoyance.

Picking up the pieces of whats wrong your company, for examining. I don't think it was wise to hire someone who's English isn't their first language. Doing so you have proven you don't really have a framework for integrating new hires from the places they come from.

Two things you are not capable of doing, have a policy for abuse in the workplace and have a policy for workplace support and training for living in your country for new hires that are from overseas.

Nothing against Dennis, feel sorry for him for what is probably his first time in Canada, from Taiwan. Only to experience the slight hand of clever racism/abuse.

on the border line of English;

For our Asian chums or anyone who's ear cannot understand much English. They know and we know all too well that when we both speak English to each other, what was understood is poor. We misinterpret what they say and vise versa. You must work to bridge the cap but this is often too hard and takes a long time to accomplish.

things that could be achieve:

• if Dennis's current working visa status renews and he see's a future there in Canada. He needs citizenship obviously, but also can start now with becoming a Canadian and learn English.
  • start more alternative means of cash flow
  • get serious advice/training for running a business 

And what this gets you is employees who become resentful and authoritarian and frustrated by the lack of English that is spoken, clearly you have to a plan for his involvement, why did him hire otherwise? Only to get a hint of racism in your workplace. You created all of this Linus, for the well being of your employees. Sort it out, for god's sake man. 

Grow your business into something more than just a ad money machine. Like start a PC shop, something. Or you won't be around in 5 years.

Have you been to BC, Canada before?

Maybe you kids should be reminded about the curious case of Catherine Genovese. She was murdered decades ago while almost forty witnesses watched by her over thirty minutes long execution. When witnesses were asked why they didn't call the police, they replied that they just didn't know.

Confusion, though, does not make for good news copy. So the press as well as the other media—several papers, TV stations, and magazines were pursuing follow-up stories by now—emphasized the only explanation available at the time: The witnesses, no different from the rest of us, hadn’t cared enough to get involved. We were becoming a nation of selfish, insensitive people. The rigors of modern life, especially city life, were hardening us. We were becoming “The Cold Society,” unfeeling and indifferent to the plight of our fellow citizens. In support of this interpretation, news stories began appearing regularly in which various kinds of public apathy were detailed. The Times actually appears to have developed an apathy “beat” for a period following the Genovese revelations. Also supporting such an interpretation were the remarks of a range of armchair social commentators, who, as a breed, seem never to admit to bafflement when speaking to the press. They, too, saw the Genovese case as having large-scale social significance. All used the word “apathy,” which, it is interesting to note, had been in the headline of the Times’s front-page story, although they accounted for the apathy differently. One attributed it to the effects of TV violence, another to repressed aggressiveness, but most implicated the “depersonalization” of urban life with its “megalopolitan societies” and its “alienation of the individual from the group.” Even Rosenthal, the newsman who first broke the story and who ultimately made it the subject of a book, subscribed to the city-caused apathy theory.

Nobody can say why the thirty-eight did not lift the phone while Miss Genovese was being attacked, since they cannot say themselves. It can be assumed, however, that their apathy was indeed one of the big-city variety. It is almost a matter of psychological survival, if one is surrounded and pressed by millions of people, to prevent them from constantly impinging on you, and the only way to do this is to ignore them as often as possible. Indifference to one’s neighbor and his troubles is a conditioned reflex in life in New York as it is in other big cities. As the Genovese story grew—aside from Rosenthal’s book, it became the focus of numerous newspaper and magazine pieces, several television-news documentaries, and an off-Broadway play—it attracted the professional attention of a pair of New York-based psychology professors, Bibb Latané and John Darley. They examined the reports of the Genovese incident and, on the basis of their knowledge of social psychology, hit on what had seemed the most unlikely explanation of all—it was that thirty-eight witnesses were present. Previous accounts of the story had invariably emphasized that no action was taken, even though thirty-eight individuals had looked on.

Latané and Darley suggested that no one had helped precisely because there were so many observers.

The psychologists speculated that, for at least two reasons, a bystander to an emergency would be unlikely to help when there were a number of other bystanders present. The first reason is fairly straightforward. With several potential helpers around, the personal responsibility of each individual is reduced: “Perhaps someone else will give or call for aid, perhaps someone else already has.” So with everyone thinking that someone else will help or has helped, no one does. The second reason is the more psychologically intriguing one; it is founded on the principle of social proof and involves the pluralistic ignorance effect. Very often an emergency is not obviously an emergency. Is the man lying in the alley a heart-attack victim or a drunk sleeping one off? Are the sharp sounds from the street gunshots or truck backfires? Is the commotion next door an assault requiring the police or an especially loud marital spat where intervention would be inappropriate and unwelcome? What is going on? In times of such uncertainty, the natural tendency is to look around at the actions of others for clues. We can learn, from the way the other witnesses are reacting, whether the event is or is not an emergency. What is easy to forget, though, is that everybody else observing the event is likely to be looking for social evidence, too. And because we all prefer to appear poised and unflustered among others, we are likely to search for that evidence placidly, with brief, camouflaged glances at those around us. Therefore everyone is likely to see everyone else looking unruffled and failing to act. As a result, and by the principle of social proof, the event will be roundly interpreted as a nonemergency. This, according to Latané and Darley, is the state of pluralistic ignorance “in which each person decides that since nobody is concerned, nothing is wrong. Meanwhile, the danger may be mounting to the point where a single individual, uninfluenced by the seeming calm of others, would react.”

The Psychology of Persuasion
ROBERT B. CIALDINI

In science, there's no evil and demonizing some entity is therefore anything but scientific. If morality isn't under constant scrutiny, we forget its existence. In more technical terms, morality isn't isomorphic to ethics. (ISIS, feminism...)

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

True, but I'm sure if you were just a fly on the wall and a group of friends walked past, saying the n word to an african american person in the group, that wouldn't be ok (even if it is a joke)

Why is racism towards dennis ok but yet towards other minorities not ok? In my workplace if I said some of those things, I'd be fired pretty fucking quickly and I'd be in a cell by the end of the day.

I don't remember it being illegal to make a racist comment lol its illegal to discriminate sure, but that's what you're wanting him to do. instead of hiring him for his job, you want him to discriminate against him because he is asian and not hire him for the amazing work he does. what they said doesn't even compare to the n word nor would it be up to you to decide how an african america gets talked to by his friends. this isn't some random group of guys walking by and being racist, they are all friends that work together. lol outside perspective with 0 evidence other than videos that are purposefully edited to contain humor.

Listen man if you think their being racist and abusing Denis cause he's new and the fact that's he's Asian check out Berkels chanel and you will see that Berkel taran and Denis went to college together for a couple years and made videos together so obviously there friends and it's just some friendly fun and screwing around to have fun, if he didn't like it he would leave simple as that, and if you don't like it ou can leave or just not watch the videos, simple as that

Spoiler

The Ninja (current gaming pc)  Case- h440 red/black cpu- i5-4690k@ 4.3ghz cooler- coolermaster hyper 212 evo moboGigabyte z97x-sli ram- adata xpg v.1 2x4gb 1600mhz gpu- asus strix gtx 970 hdd- wd blue 1tb ssd- kingston hyperx savage 240gb psu- evga 600b peripherals: mouse- razer death adder 2013 keyboard- corsair k70 with chery mx-reds headset- HyperX Cloud 2

my laptop- toshiba satelite p850, cpu- i7-3630qm ram- 8gb 1600mhz hdd- 1tb 5400rpm gpu- Nvidia gt630m 2gb

did you know we have a gun thread ? well we do 

and a car thread ! 

I see you didn't read my post. I'm not speculating what happens when cameras aren't rolling. I'm just saying that they should think more how they want to show their professional relationship while on cam. Though vlogs are meant as casual, they can be seen as truth (which started this thread) as people don't see the whole picture. Get my drift? 

Mod reply on first page. They are monitoring this but I've yet to see anything that would result a lock.

To skip past everything, I don't think it matters to comment on your past posts. The one thing I would say, doing what Linus as done for so long (creating YT content) and growing his company, I am 99% sure he has already decided how he wants to show the professional relationship of his company on camera and that is why this is being allowed. TBH, viewers come and go, I don't think he's worried about changing his show, himself, or his company to gain or keep the minuscule amount of viewers he would only POTENTIALLY lose over something like that. I can only speak for myself saying that it is very clear to me that they are friends just poking fun. My friends and I rip each other pretty hard, but out of friendship not to be rude.

Psychology has been brought in, now it's a party .

I guess you could call that a moral standpoint..

When the going gets weirdthe weird turn pro.

True that. It seems like everything is called racist nowadays, and it's getting really annoying.

I'm Korean, jokes about being Asian aren't new to me, nor do I find most of them offensive. My friends mess around with me sometimes, and I even joke that I'm Kim Jong Un on occasion. And it's the same with Dennis. He has good friends who care about him and also joke around a lot with him. Taran was subject to it as well and still is, as is Nick Van Berkel. Talking on the front of racism, I'm surprised OP wouldn't even bother mentioning "Nicky V" and the joke about all New Yorkers being Italian and having that sort of accent. That's also a joke, and as a New Yorker, a funny one at that.

I personally love the humor and don't believe that Dennis is being prejudiced against. It's just normal relationships as friends, and nothing more. People now seem to try to find the malice in even a friendship.

This^ My best friend is Asian, adopted by one of my dad's best friends. I joke about him working a rice field all the time, and he jokes about me being a stereotypical white dude (neither are true, obviously). They're open jokes that both of us have no problems with. The kid has had my back is some really shitty situations. But at the end of the day, he's still my "chink" and I'm still his "cracker." We say some super sketchy things about one another, gotten kicked out of businesses for some of the stuff we say because "it makes for a hostile environment," but again, we both know we are joking.

I think people take the racism thing too far. If you're not involved in the conversation, or it is clearly obvious that the two parties are not in any distress about the situation, just screw off. Bud out, not you conversation. Now, if I were verbally abusing him, and it was obvious that he was harmed by that, yeah, step in. But otherwise, just screw off.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Start a PC shop? Linus still works at NCIX. He doesnt want to ruin the business that got him a job, a life, a company, fame and a Lambo.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't? I think he contracts out to them as a personality? I could be wrong but in the past he did say that he stepped away from NCIX to make LMG.

OP in a nutshell "LMG is supporting racism"

OP's Solution "don't hire people whose primary language isn't English"

That is some fine anti-discrimination work OP.

You should see the banter that occurs on a building site. You would be writing an open letter to congress. 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

True, but I'm sure if you were just a fly on the wall and a group of friends walked past, saying the n word to an african american person in the group, that wouldn't be ok (even if it is a joke)

Why is racism towards dennis ok but yet towards other minorities not ok? In my workplace if I said some of those things, I'd be fired pretty fucking quickly and I'd be in a cell by the end of the day.

Racism is only ok against white people because it is impossible to be racist against white people. Well at least that is what the news media tells us. I see it different growing up and working in a town that has a larger black population than white. A few my close friends are black (i am Southern Caucasian America) and we say "racist" things to each other all the time just bsing around joking. Hate is all in how you say it not necessarily in what you say. You can feel the hate from an old southern white lady when she says "bless your heart" while showing a cheesy ass i hope you die in you sleep smug smile on her face lol.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

If any of you guys didn't pick up on that, OP's a complete loon :P

I find the OP racist for not following his own topic /s 

post-21562-0-91501500-1441263164.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

"I don't think it was wise to hire someone who's English isn't their first language."

Claims Linus is a racist, doesn't believe he should've hired the person based on race/language.

GG

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

Lol so basically I just read a short essay on why you dont like Dennis and how he doesnt speak flawless English.

They hired him for his skill in editing, its not like his English isnt understandable and over time it can only get better.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

LMG is full of Canadians, with the exception of maybe one or two Americans, and Dennis. Considering the majority of them are Canadian, i can't even imagine how many sorry's they edit out, and then apologize to one another for having to remove them. bad joke is bad

Point is, its comedy. One of the latest videos on Vessel had Nicky V (ha) mention that he and Dennis went to college together. If you want something to be offended about, come to Ohio and yell at the White Castle that stopped selling those Corndog Bites before i got to try them. Jerks.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Do they really need a trigger warning for the overly sensitive people?

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Do they really need a trigger warning for the overly sensitive people?

Triggered

gn5I2vZ.gif

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Open Letter to Linus Media Group;

Howdy, 

Sometimes viewers don't know what to think of what they see. Is that acting? is that real? Is it both? So am not sure what is going on over at Linus Media Group, their Mission statement. Their not much of a company, 

So am rather bothered by the hints of racism that's getting laughs lately.

If that's really how it is and feel sorry for Dennis for being dragged into this company's messy startup. What i do believe is real on the show, is his face expression and the looks nicks give back at him for annoyance.

Picking up the pieces of whats wrong your company, for examining. I don't think it was wise to hire someone who's English isn't their first language. Doing so you have proven you don't really have a framework for integrating new hires from the places they come from.

Two things you are not capable of doing, have a policy for abuse in the workplace and have a policy for workplace support and training for living in your country for new hires that are from overseas.

Nothing against Dennis, feel sorry for him for what is probably his first time in Canada, from Taiwan. Only to experience the slight hand of clever racism/abuse.

on the border line of English;

For our Asian chums or anyone who's ear cannot understand much English. They know and we know all too well that when we both speak English to each other, what was understood is poor. We misinterpret what they say and vise versa. You must work to bridge the cap but this is often too hard and takes a long time to accomplish.

things that could be achieve:

• if Dennis's current working visa status renews and he see's a future there in Canada. He needs citizenship obviously, but also can start now with becoming a Canadian and learn English.
  • start more alternative means of cash flow
  • get serious advice/training for running a business 

And what this gets you is employees who become resentful and authoritarian and frustrated by the lack of English that is spoken, clearly you have to a plan for his involvement, why did him hire otherwise? Only to get a hint of racism in your workplace. You created all of this Linus, for the well being of your employees. Sort it out, for god's sake man. 

OP, you claim this an "open letter;" however, did you personally print it out and mail it to the LMG HQ in BC, Canada? Because if you didn't, then it's not a "letter" and simply an internet forum post garnering unneeded attention and speculation from users who do not know the inner operations at LMG by 1 iota.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

There's this thing called a joke. Maybe you should try it sometime. Seriously though, I don't think Linus would tolerate any real abuse in the workplace. I've met him and Linus is a good guy and really seems to care about Dennis.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

Just want to make you aware that Nick Van Berkel has know Dennis for a long time and is mates with him outside of the work place, so as for social integration that's pretty much covered

I can't stop spending money my stupid home lab, help.