Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

See, this is why that whole "customer is always right" thing ticks me off, why I could never work in tech retail and why I think it's complete BS. 

The problem is that mentality was created for specific scenarios and doesn't apply everywhere, especially these days when sometimes, the customer literally does not know anything about what they are trying to do

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It's not a basic item for average Joe. This thread also is not about tech knowledge but about tech stupidity. That's a huge difference. My brother doesn't know about the internals of computers, but can use them just fine. Just like people who know jack about cars but can still drive one...

Calm down m8, it's just somewhere in my memory, alright? No need to get upset. Fact is, it's something that's completely irrelevant and uninteresting for the staggeringly vast majority of people and that will almost never cause confusion. It's just elitist to go 'people use a wrong word, lol, they're so dumb'.

Sure, I wouldn't expect "average joe" to know, and might even expect him to use the wrong terms, thinking that he does know.  But for anyone thinking or claiming that they are "tech savvy", these are important, and basic things that you expect people not to get wrong

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Sure, I wouldn't expect "average joe" to know, and might even expect him to use the wrong terms, thinking that he does know.  But for anyone thinking or claiming that they are "tech savvy", these are important, and basic things that you expect people not to get wrong

Yeah, but I wasn't talking about those. I don't give a toss about showoffs, exposing their BS usually just ends in them yelling or whatever. I have a much better time having a giggle about it.

Nonsense, Both of them run on some kind of version of BSD. It would be possible to get them to PS4 and PS3 to run Linux. BSD is similar to linux (both are part of the unix family).

1. Linux is just unix-like, not part of the unix family.

2. You could ("could" as simple past here, not subjunctive) actually run Linux on the PS3, which was not some kind of hack, but rather an intended and marketed feature (dubbed "OtherOS"), but Sony removed the option through a firmware update, later SKUs don't have that option at all.

"There's a battery in that thing?"

"Yea, it's like 8 gigs"

8 GAh? 8 GWh? Either way, it's astonishingly high.

It's not a basic item for average Joe. This thread also is not about tech knowledge but about tech stupidity. That's a huge difference. My brother doesn't know about the internals of computers, but can use them just fine. Just like people who know jack about cars but can still drive one...

Calm down m8, it's just somewhere in my memory, alright? No need to get upset. Fact is, it's something that's completely irrelevant and uninteresting for the staggeringly vast majority of people and that will almost never cause confusion. It's just elitist to go 'people use a wrong word, lol, they're so dumb'.

I was not trying to be or sound aggressive or pissed BTW.

No offence but your arguments make no sense.

It's not about being able to use a PC, it's about simple knowledge. Like I said, you don't need to know how a car work to use the proper term when talking about it; "a car" or other valid variants. This is the same, CPU means "central processing unit", PC means "personal computer" they aren't synonyms and never will be, it's not elitist to point it out or laugh at it.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

"I have used all the 3G I have this month"

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

"Consoles have been faster than computers for ages now, stop being such a PC Elitist"-A friend I promptly ended a friendship with.

To be honest, I have a PS4 and a PC, and from what I can tell, they're good for their own thing. No point crowding around a PC monitor when friends come over but holy crap, an even $1000 PC slower than a console?

I'm from Thailand, and elementary schools here teaches kids that the whole rigs are called CPU.

So 90% of people here will always say something like, turn on your CPU.

That might just be a leftover from old terms/phrases (like calling your car, "my wheels"). I remember growing up seeing ads calling computers CPU even though that's just a part of the whole. Haven't seen or heard it used like that in years 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I'm from Thailand, and elementary schools here teaches kids that the whole rigs are called CPU.

So 90% of people here will always say something like, turn on your CPU.

That's really unfortunate...

Just happened. Walked by while the people I rent a room from were watching the news. The news said Twitter was cutting jobs. "How the hell do you cut jobs when it's just a website, did they fire the keyboard?"

Head, met desk.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

"If I took the ram out of someones computer and put it in mine, could i see their browser history?"

Athlon X4 860K, Sapphire Radeon R7 260X, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Gigabyte GA F2A68HM-H, WD Blue 1Tb, EVGA 500w, Corsair Air 240

"If I took the ram out of someones computer and put it in mine, could i see their browser history?"

Hey, don't laugh - there was a video going around a while ago showing how you could gain access to an encrypted hard drive using a similar method.  Basically, if you were able to snatch a laptop while it was still powered on, you could open it up, get one of those cans of compressed air and blast it upside down at the ram to chill it to like -50C which would greatly slow the rate of decay*, then pull it out and stick it in a special dock that scans it for the key.

* contrary to popular belief, RAM isn't actually cleared the instant it loses power - it takes time to decay, and although this is pretty quick, it can be slowed by a large drop in temperature

... or at least all of that is true according to the video :) ...

And no, it's not a valid way to say "computer", in any circumstances, it's like saying "engine" when you meant "car",

More like saying 'car' when you mean 'motor ca'r

People quite often say train when they mean the locomotive that pulls (or pushes) the train.

And they often say 'steam roller' for the machine which compacts and flattens road surfaces (when was the last time anyone saw a steam powered one?).

I have heard the system called; the computer, the CPU, the tower, the hard drive.

I do not feel any conclusions can be drawn about someone's stupidity if they have 'grown up' in an environment that doesn't use the right words.

Tad like the confuion surrounding the HDD; is it memory, is it storage.  As long as some clarification is sought (or through context you know what is being talked about) then it is not a problem, if you are willing to ask further questions and the other party is willing to answer them.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

See, this is why that whole "customer is always right" thing ticks me off, why I could never work in tech retail and why I think it's complete BS.

As a 15 year old I've been contemplating whether to work in tech retail as my first part-time job. Unfortunately I don't think be able to go a whole day without wanting to kill a random ignorant and obnoxious customer (and in Australia there is an abundance of said people).

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY

Le USD $300 Second Hand Potato

CPU: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8GHz Motherboard: Intel DP55WG RAM: 12GB Corsair Budget 1333MHz (2x2GB+2x4GB) GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 512MB Case: Cooler Master Elite Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB PSU: Cooler Master Generic 500W (came with case) Displays: 21.5" 1080p Acer G226HQL Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (Mx Reds) Mouse: Logitech G502 Sound: Turtle Beach X12's Operating System: Windows 10

Yep... My peripherals cost me more than the rig itself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

download-button-orange.png
Download-button-small3.jpg
Download-button.jpg
download-button.png
459441d1443497489-download-button-1-.png
04_simple_download_buttons_psd.jpg

All these sh*ts....
Don't know which one to click <_<

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Before that job I always assumed it was the worker being lazy or rude. Turns out, at least from my experience, its a rude customer that keeps demanding the impossible to the point where the worker just says forgets it and give him w/e junk they want. Many times my ex co-workers would come back exhausted and would say things like "I was trying to help, but they didn't bother listening"

then customers come back angry about a 'bad' experience and leave horrible reviews lol

Every day I worked in retail that was me

CMR "Hi will this £250 pentium dual core 4gb of ram laptop play *insert game here*"

Me "no, this would only be suitable for basic browsing and office work"

CMR "I will take it anyway"

me "do you need office or any software etc"

CMR "no i have all that"

me "fine, here you go , have a nice day"

1 week later

CMR to tech desk "excuse me your salesman sold me this, it wont play games and has no office software on it"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Every day I worked in retail that was me

CMR "Hi will this £250 pentium dual core 4gb of ram laptop play *insert game here*"

Me "no, this would only be suitable for basic browsing and office work"

CMR "I will take it anyway"

me "do you need office or any software etc"

CMR "no i have all that"

me "fine, here you go , have a nice day"

1 week later

CMR to tech desk "excuse me your salesman sold me this, it wont play games and has no office software on it"

To be honest - light games can be played on a potato :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

This doofus sitting next to me in English class keeps touching my laptop screen while I browse the forums... It's annoying as fuck...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

This doofus sitting next to me in English class keeps touching my laptop screen while I browse the forums... It's annoying as fuck...

Tell him "Next time you touch my screen I will chop off your finger" and pull a pair of scissors out of your backpack - worked for me :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

To be honest - light games can be played on a potato :D

not light games, im talking like "far cry 3" etc etc, that was just an example

so many times I would suggest something, hardware, software, speakers anything and they would just complain later that it wasnt right when I told them 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Tell him "Next time you touch my screen I will chop off your finger" and pull a pair of scissors out of your backpack - worked for me :P

He saw that then proceeded to touch the screen again. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

He saw that then proceeded to touch the screen again. 

well - you could move to a different seat or live up to what I told you and cut off his finger xD - if you cut only the tip it will regrow.

not light games, im talking like "far cry 3" etc etc, that was just an example

so many times I would suggest something, hardware, software, speakers anything and they would just complain later that it wasnt right when I told them 

Yeah - I know that feeling :/