Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

Usually that would be a facepalm

Unless she was using it for a very large storage NAS or for Btc mining

nope, from my knowledge its for normal office stuff like web browsing and such

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Damn that's crazy

yeah, i wish i could search for accounts on pcpp to find the actual build

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

Ask manerreli and maybe he will add that feature

will do

Spoiler

this is from my aunt, "my co workers said that you need atleast 3x the total wattage pcpartpicker says"

Using that logic, if PCPartPicker said your system will consume 1000W, take that x3 and you have a power supply that doesn't exist and therefore, a system that can't exist(unless you do some modding with multiple power supplies).

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Using that logic, if PCPartPicker said your system will consume 1000W, take that x3 and you have a power supply that doesn't exist and therefore, a system that can't exist(unless you do some modding with multiple power supplies).

yep, and it is possible to use mulitple psu's in one system, just have them power different things like one for the gpus and one for the rest

Spoiler

yep, and it is possible to use mulitple psu's in one system, just have them power different things like one for the gpus and one for the rest

You still need to start both.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You still need to start both.

yep

Spoiler

Oh boy, Have i got a gripe for people who dont understand how internet connection works .

My sis : RIDSKA , WTF HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE INTERNET , ITS NOT WORKING , DID YOU HACK THE INTERNET ?!?!

Me : calm down sis , ill take a look what is the problem and try to fix it .

After 8 to 15 min of troubleshooting , i found out that the ISP ( Internet service provider ) side was the problem , so it sould take a few minutes for them to get back online .

Me : ok sis the ISP was down so it should take no more th-.

my sis : TURN the ISP back on .

Me : 0_0 wait wha - .

after se said that , my sis was serching the router for the word ISP written all around it with big letters.

she thought that i turned off the ISP and hacked our router and re routed the net all to my self and then broke the router.

after the internet came back on , i tried to explian her how a internet connection works , but she was too consintraited on shouting at my face and tried to tell my mother that i was a hacker ( and BTW , do not get me started about my mother and tech , both of them are like water and oil , they dont mix ) .

(⌐■_■) 

The time when I was at the refuse store at the local tip, and they slapped a price of $10 on an ancient AMD 486 computer.

Then they only asked $20 for a HP workstation beast-mode machine with dual Pentium III processors LOL

(not really a quote, but pretty dumb)

Were you un-dumb enough to purchase it though ? Hehe...

I have a new one:

" So I learned that not all CPUs run at the same speed due to variations in the manufacturing process. The higher quality the silicon used, the higher the clockspeed that can be achieved. That's why we have i7's ranging from $200, to $1000, essentially they're all the same chip".

In a way they are right though. First you have binning of components as well as disabling defective units on chips and selling them as lower end like i7 with some defective HT to an I5 and such. They aren't all the same chip of course, but that's not TOO far off.

I do all my gaming on an older ASUS monitor with 1440 x 900 resolution. Seriously, not even 1080p.

It might seem dumb when my other (more powerful) computer has a far bigger screen.

But I'm an engineer who uses just enough energy and resources to get the job done to a satisfactory standard, so you won't ever see me playing Minecraft on an overclocked Core i7 5960X with 64GB DDR4 RAM and two Titan X's in SLI.

It's a stark contrast to many retarded gamers out there who just want all the power known to mankind and build the most overkill gaming rigs ever known to mankind.

Jesus..at least go with a nice 22" 1080p monitor. If you want to save electricity hook it up to a Duron 600 and a Geforce 256 or something to offset the horrible 1440 x 900 resolution.

"The more used space on the hard drive the more it slows down the computer!"

This is due to the fact that mechanical drives formatted with NTFS do tend to slow down when they get down to the last 10-15 percent free space. Other file system formats don't tend to slow down as much.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_optimization.htm

This is due to the fact that mechanical drives formatted with NTFS do tend to slow down when they get down to the last 10-15 percent free space. Other file system formats don't tend to slow down as much.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_optimization.htm

The amount of people still quoting my post without reading my replies is fucking ridiculous.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

The amount of people still quoting my post without reading my replies is fucking ridiculous.

Because you did not qualify that post. If you said something later, that's cool. Wasn't trying to flame anyone.

that's the easy part ...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5637/cpa-167/Lian_Li_Dual_Power_Supply_Adapter_Cable.html

but 3x the watts needed is just ridiculous!

I'm not saying it's hard, but the whole idea is absolutely absurd.

"My Xbox One has over a terabyte of memory"

that actually is true if he has a Xbox one with the 1TB hard drive!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

that actually is true if he has a Xbox one with the 1TB hard drive!

In that case, it would be 1TB of storage, not memory. ;) 

Memory = RAM.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

In that case, it would be 1TB of storage, not memory. ;)

Memory = RAM.

Erm, no(ish).  Hard disk is ROM (read only [wait for it wait for it] memory).

Whilst some people know that sometimes ROM is refered to as storage, it is not incorrect to call it memory.

For years I had a problem of how could it be read only when you wrote to it all the time.

Then I decided to just accept RAM is the stick stuff whilst ROM is hard drives etc (E)PROM is the sort of stuff I would call 'real' ROM in that you (pretty much) only read from it, stuff like the BIOS and to a lesser extent the CMOS.

Perhaps a better way would be :-

HDD (SSD) is non-volatile memory (rather than ROM)

System memory is volatile memory (rather than RAM)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"