Dumbest Tech Questions/Quotes You've Ever Heard

NInety

No problem at all! For example:

Customer: "Where can I get a BIOS upgrade for by 286 computer?"

Tech Support: "The unit should have been shipped with the latest bios."

Customer: "Well, I upgraded the processor myself, and my computer doesn't seem to work."

Tech Support: "What did you upgrade the processor to?"

Customer: "I upgraded it to a 486DX-50."

Tech Support: "Sir...the 286 chip is soldered on the motherboard!"

Customer: "I know, I took out my handy soldering iron and took it out and put the 486 on myself."

Tech Support: "Sir, the 486 is bigger than the 286."

Customer: "I know, I had to use quite a bit of solder to solder the extra pins together."

this is gold.

Sig under construction.

No problem at all! For example:

Customer: "Where can I get a BIOS upgrade for by 286 computer?"

Tech Support: "The unit should have been shipped with the latest bios."

Customer: "Well, I upgraded the processor myself, and my computer doesn't seem to work."

Tech Support: "What did you upgrade the processor to?"

Customer: "I upgraded it to a 486DX-50."

Tech Support: "Sir...the 286 chip is soldered on the motherboard!"

Customer: "I know, I took out my handy soldering iron and took it out and put the 486 on myself."

Tech Support: "Sir, the 486 is bigger than the 286."

Customer: "I know, I had to use quite a bit of solder to solder the extra pins together."

Di......Did this really happen....?. 0_0 ....

i.. i am genually shocked ..... omfg

(⌐■_■) 

LOl i love these:

What computer do you have: "Windows"

What tablet do you have "A Samsung" - I don't but this was an answer i got from some relatives who are tech noobs :)

"What's a transistor"

"What's a power supply"

"Macs don't get viruses"

"What's a Hard Drive"

"Why build a PC when you can just buy one"

"How do i open Chrome?" - this is a personal favorite lol

"What's an SSD"

"What phone is that" - When people see my phone lol

"What's C++"

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Erm, no(ish).  Hard disk is ROM (read only [wait for it wait for it] memory).

Whilst some people know that sometimes ROM is refered to as storage, it is not incorrect to call it memory.

For years I had a problem of how could it be read only when you wrote to it all the time.

Then I decided to just accept RAM is the stick stuff whilst ROM is hard drives etc (E)PROM is the sort of stuff I would call 'real' ROM in that you (pretty much) only read from it, stuff like the BIOS and to a lesser extent the CMOS.

Perhaps a better way would be :-

HDD (SSD) is non-volatile memory (rather than ROM)

System memory is volatile memory (rather than RAM)

HDD isn't ROm because ROM means you can't edit data xD. A calculator has a ROM lol. Everybody gets confused with this seriously people!

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

"What's a transistor"

"What's an SSD"

"What phone is that" - When people see my phone lol

"What's C++"

I don't think those are dumb/stupid tech questions! Even on tech forum like this one, most people won't be able to answer one of these!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

HDD isn't ROm because ROM means you can't edit data xD. A calculator has a ROM lol. Everybody gets confused with this seriously people!

I think it is very clear from my post that I DO NOT agree that an HDD is a ROM, but I am sure for some class it was labeled as such so I just accepted that for some reason memory that could be written to was called read only.

See the PERHAPS para.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

"What phone is that"

When people ask me that question eather A, i tell them the answer or B, tell them its a smartphone and leave it at that and let them figure it out .

(⌐■_■) 

When people ask me that question eather A, i tell them the answer or B, tell them its a smartphone and leave it at that and let them figure it out .

Well it's a lot easier then introducing the idea that microsoft makes phones (everyone thinks there's either Android OR IOS but people are picking up on the fact that some people have Windows Phones).

But they're like "cool", and they're like I'll stick to my phone lol.

You got to admit cortana is actually cool though xD

tech-cortana.jpg

I don't think those are dumb/stupid tech questions! Even on tech forum like this one, most people won't be able to answer one of these!

Without a picture I am unable to answer No3 "What phone is that".

However the other three...

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I wrote a "personal statement" paper (it was bad) but in my teachers comments he said "Conclude how you built a cpu." I asked him what a cpu was and he pointed at the monitor...

Without a picture I am unable to answer No3 "What phone is that".

However the other three...

From his sig, this is his phone;

microsoft_lumia_640_xl_ndtv_2.jpg

BTW;

If you asked me to identify a phone I wouldn't be able to! Seriously, how many variant and "flavors" of phone is there out there? You really expect people to know every one out there?

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

From his sig, this is his phone;

microsoft_lumia_640_xl_ndtv_2.jpg

BTW;

If you asked me to identify a phone I wouldn't be able to! Seriously, how many variant and "flavors" of phone is there out there? You really expect people to know every one out there?

I would probably be able to identify most smart phones.

The thing is they don't even know what type of phone it is LOL. :)

microsoft_lumia_640xl_collection-1005706

I was working on a school history project with this kid who thinks he knows a lot about computers any here is the conversation

Him "well class is over save the PowerPoint to your hard drive"

Me "I don't have a hard drive in my laptop"

Him "of course you do all computers have hard drives"

Me "no my laptop has a solid state drive"

Him *getting all angry because he thinks he smarts about tech* "wtf is a solid state drive, that doesn't exist - you made that term up"

To be fair, you were being a bit of a smartarse by saying you didn't have a hard drive...

To be fair, you were being a bit of a smartarse by saying you didn't have a hard drive...

Yeah but the correct response at the end would be something like "pfft whatever you know what I mean" not flip out and claim ssds don't exist :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I asked my friend what kind of GPU he had in his laptop, he said "Oh, it's a 1080p"

Me, kind of playing along, asked "Oh, cool. Who makes it?"

He comes out with "Windows"

I kind of break it to him gently and say "[FRIEND'S NAME], Windows doesn't make GPUs."

He then says "Ok, fine, fine, it's a Microsoft 1080p."

I was going to call him out on the fact that MS does not make GPUs and that 1080p is a resolution, not a GPU type, but I tried to be the nice guy and just let him keep believing that he had a Microsoft 1080p. Ignorance is bliss for him, and he gets really defensive when anyone disagrees with him, so I left it there.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I asked my friend what kind of GPU he had in his laptop, he said "Oh, it's a 1080p"

Me, kind of playing along, asked "Oh, cool. Who makes it?"

He comes out with "Windows"

I kind of break it to him gently and say "[FRIEND'S NAME], Windows doesn't make GPUs."

He then says "Ok, fine, fine, it's a Microsoft 1080p."

I was going to call him out on the fact that MS does not make GPUs and that 1080p is a resolution, not a GPU type, but I tried to be the nice guy and just let him keep believing that he had a Microsoft 1080p. Ignorance is bliss for him, and he gets really defensive when anyone disagrees with him, so I left it there.

I don't know if letting him continue believe that can really be considered "nice" :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't know if letting him continue believe that can really be considered "nice" :P

I thought it was better than starting an argument with him about it, he's the kind of person who as soon as you start politely disagreeing with him starts shouting death threats, even to "friends." He likes to pretend that he is second only to Bill Gates in the computing world, so I just left it there.  :)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I thought it was better than starting an argument with him about it, he's the kind of person who as soon as you start politely disagreeing with him starts shouting death threats, even to "friends." He likes to pretend that he is second only to Bill Gates in the computing world, so I just left it there.  :)

Its a good thing most of us techies aren't generally the angry violent type or there would be so many people like that getting beaten up in school :P

Sister: Why did you turn off the PC?

Me: I turned off the monitor

Sister: no that is a pc

Me: ;-;

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

4b0d8c241d9adfcd59e09a1ed84a6dbf.jpg this guy was selling a "legendary" gaming PC on eBay for $1400 AUD ($1000 USD) it also had a 6770.

He's saying that because he wants to get rid of it c: (I'd buy the graphics card alone just for folding and such.)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

He's saying that because he wants to get rid of it c: (I'd buy the graphics card alone just for folding and such.)

for $1000? :P

Also I'd like to know his logic behind believing that better ram will get his OC from 3.2 GHz up to 3.6 GHz

How much is that £9.99 keyboard?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)