The LIGHTCANON - [flashlight]

Enderman

Here is a (somewhat) strange question

How well would this light up a room?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

Here is a (somewhat) strange question

How well would this light up a room?

its like, a very intense point of light, so if you point it at something white like a ceiling then it lights up the room pretty dim

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

its like, a very intense point of light, so if you point it at something white like a ceiling then it lights up the room pretty dim

So basically a lamp on roids

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

10 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

So basically a lamp on roids

its not as bright as a lamp though, theres only like 500lm coming out of this thing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 hours ago, TravisB said:

Do you know of a video or have one that I could watch to know how to make one of those?

How to make this flashlight?
I have all the build log videos on my youtube channel, link on my profile :)

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

Quick lil update

So I made some modifications including gluing the temp sensor to the heatsink using arctic silver thermal adhesive for more accurate readings.

I also removed the LED driver and connected the LED directly for "direct-drive" maximum power

This means the LED will draw current depending on the battery voltage

11806543285_ce2c0a2e5d_o.jpg

If you follow the light gray line, the current going through the LED at 4v is about 6 amps, but the resistance of the wires and switch in my flashlight probably reduce that a little

so the amount of power I'm getting is slightly more than with the cheap chinese LED driver

I just did a second test with my light meter and got about 37000 lux at 5.3m which is 1M lux at 1m :)

So this flashlight is capable of doing 1M lux, just without the driver restricting it!

SUCCESS! :P

Anyway, now I'm just looking for small things to improve, such as neater wiring and things like that.

PS. I have discovered a new type of lens called "catadioptric" and advertises a ultra-narrow beam angle of less than 2 degrees http://www.carclo-optics.com/optic-10158?beamangle=1%20to%2010%20degrees

This seems a bit wider than what my lightcannon can do (although i havent measured beam angle of the lightcannon)

But it may be a lot more light efficient, possibly making up for the extra spread, and possibly making a much more powerful flashlight in the near future ;)

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

This thread is dead, but I love this thing. Planning on building one soon :3 Any updates after nearly a year, OP?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

3 minutes ago, Divide_By_0 said:

This thread is dead, but I love this thing. Planning on building one soon :3 Any updates after nearly a year, OP?

Haha thanks :) I still have to do the 1400m test, I'm just really lazy to go out late at night.

Currently working on other projects not flashlight related, but I have some good idea for my next flashlight builds.

I'll make sure to post an update in this thread when I begin another flashlight so be sure to follow :)

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Brynjar said:

I really enjoyed this post, I'm amazed there is enthusiasts making their own $400+ flashlights. Have you had a chance to take more pictures ? 

Not yet, but it's getting darker out now and closer to winter so it might be easier for me to do the 1400m test sometime soon.

I also have parts ready for a new type of flashlight, so follow the post for a notification when I start building it :D

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Prysin said:

either the forum didnt notice for 7 months, or you didnt....

I didn't lmao.

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone!

I have made some modifications to the light to increase performance!

Some time ago I removed the cheap V10+ driver and ran the LED in direct drive off of a lipo battery, but with 4.2V the LED was only drawing ~3-4 amps, so I decided to spend $20 on a good quality constant-current driver from MTN electronics, which runs off a 3s battery and provides as much voltage as necessary to achieve 6 amps to the LED. http://www.international.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=67_115&product_id=691

Now the LED is running at full power, and I have taken some beamshots in the mountains :)

First test, 950m to the top of a mountain, the target is a radio antenna.

bandicam 2016-12-21 22-14-31-758.jpg

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

IMG_0064.JPG

Zooming in you can see the antenna is well lit up, even though it is a bit blurry because of my camera :P The red dot is the signal light at the top of the left antenna.

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0079.JPG

Second test, 300m to a nearby mountain, target is a large metal cross.

bandicam 2016-12-21 22-16-13-085.jpg

IMG_0121.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

Just below the cross:

IMG_0106.JPG

Hope you guys enjoyed :D

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

*looks at last 2 pictures

IS THAT @Enderman HIM/HERSELF?!?!?!

No, clearly that is not me, that is a human.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, clearly that is not me, that is a human.

oh, but what about this?

who is this?

i like trains 🙂

2 minutes ago, Implosivetech said:

oh, but what about this?

who is this?

Uh, friend helping out while I record with the camera.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Uh, friend helping out while I record with the camera.

are you sure?!?!

i like trains 🙂

1 minute ago, Implosivetech said:

are you sure?!?!

Don't take this too far, or the endermen will come!

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

• 7 months later...

*necro*

first result for light canon is

Screen Shot 2017-09-10 at 9.10.27 PM.png

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

20 minutes ago, JDE said:

*necro*

first result for light canon is

Search for "lightcanon flashlight" and it's the first result :)

Also, now that people will read this topic again (luckily necros are allowed in the build log subforum!), I have recently built the second version of this flashlight.

Build log on a separate flashlight forum, check it out if you want: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55370

4.63 million candela, over 3x more powerful than the LightCanon, and the current world record for aspheric LED flashlight :o:D 

Maybe I should also post it on LTT if people are interested?

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

-snip-

now i have to make a photoshopped version where this other link is at the top about a Canon Flashlight

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.