Why you should never buy a console at launch

TopWargamer

What's a console?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Why you should buy a PC over console:

You'll save tons of money with Steam sales. So much money that it will be sufficient to pay double for the PC than the console. And you will still have some left.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Also don't buy an apple product 

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

Well that was enjoyably silly.

There is one reason to buy a console at launch. To support the companies you want to. It's literally throwing away money, but if you really like them that much, you should do it imo.

I'd do it with the PS4 if I wasn't buying a 9970 on release. PC>Console, but I'll probably get a PS4 around January/February simply because Sony knocked it out of the park for me this generation. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

but I'll probably get a PS4 around January/February simply because Sony knocked it out of the park for me this generation. 

What about it was that good? The PS4 only looked good in comparison to all the bad press that the Xbone was getting. I never saw anything that it was offering that wasn't the same as any other current gen consoles other than the crappy social media features.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

What about it was that good? The PS4 only looked good in comparison to all the bad press that the Xbone was getting. I never saw anything that it was offering that wasn't the same as any other current gen consoles other than the crappy social media features.

Then you weren't looking.

• Streaming to PS Vita (the $500 PS4 + Vita bundle is very tempting) in the house.
  • Streaming PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3 games from the cloud for absolute backwards compatibility. This will start being implemented around January/February.
  • It has Free to Play games such as Planetside 2 and Warthunder (among others) that are available on PC. Managing a group of friends for such games is simply easier on Console as more people will have one.
  • It's pretty powerful compared to a gaming PC for the same price. The bold is the important part.
  • You get 2 free games every month for PS+. These are good games too. Deus Ex Human Revolution and Uncharted 3's Single player campaign are two examples. $5 for both of those? That rivals a Steam Sale sir. While they've been doing this for a while, it's still pretty awesome. Everything else (the streaming, online gameplay, social media/sharing features, etc) is gravy. Glorious fattening gravy.
  • Being able to play games for others over the internet. This isn't so much a "it will be fun" thing, but a "that is freaking cool" thing. It's sort of social media related but I wouldn't call this "crappy".
  • Instant on. The equivalent of a PC's Sleep mode. Pretty much awesome. Consoles haven't had an equivalent. This means you can turn the system "off" (aka put it to sleep) during a game and turn it back on later and resume accordingly.
  • Download updates for games as well as games in the background while playing another game due to a secondary CPU that is dedicated to handling such things. I LOVE this. I hate waiting for updates on my PS3.
  • Play a game as it downloads. Literally what it sounds like. If your game is 10% done downloading, you can start playing it as the rest of it downloads. That's handled in the background with the previously mentioned secondary chip.

That is all I have. There may be more.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

• Streaming to PS Vita (the $500 PS4 + Vita bundle is very tempting) in the house.
  • Streaming PS1, PS2, PSP, and PS3 games from the cloud for absolute backwards compatibility. This will start being implemented around January/February.
  • It has Free to Play games such as Planetside 2 and Warthunder (among others) that are available on PC. Managing a group of friends for such games is simply easier on Console as more people will have one.
  • It's pretty powerful compared to a gaming PC for the same price. The bold is the important part.
  • You get 2 free games every month for PS+. These are good games too. Deus Ex Human Revolution and Uncharted 3's Single player campaign are two examples. $5 for both of those? That rivals a Steam Sale sir. While they've been doing this for a while, it's still pretty awesome. Everything else (the streaming, online gameplay, social media/sharing features, etc) is gravy. Glorious fattening gravy.
  • Being able to play games for others over the internet. This isn't so much a "it will be fun" thing, but a "that is freaking cool" thing. It's sort of social media related but I wouldn't call this "crappy".
  • Instant on. The equivalent of a PC's Sleep mode. Pretty much awesome. Consoles haven't had an equivalent. This means you can turn the system "off" (aka put it to sleep) during a game and turn it back on later and resume accordingly.
  • Download updates for games as well as games in the background while playing another game due to a secondary CPU that is dedicated to handling such things. I LOVE this. I hate waiting for updates on my PS3.
  • Play a game as it downloads. Literally what it sounds like. If your game is 10% done downloading, you can start playing it as the rest of it downloads. That's handled in the background with the previously mentioned secondary chip.

Sadly most of that is either gimmick you can get by installing software on your PC or is just silly or already has been implemented. Diablo 3 could be played as you are downloading. Was it a deal breaker? no. How many times do you install same game? 1 time usually, maybe few times if it's absolute classic. You can as well leave PC overnight to download a game and get it full and running by the morning.

Etc. etc.

Consoles are very expensive business but they are aimed at people who can't count to few hundred dollars. Why? You buy PS4 and Vita for 500$ together. Great. What can you do with it? Nothing. What do you have to do now? Buy games. How much do games cost? 50$? 60$? and in some countries perhaps more? Great, on PC you have same pricing intially or only slightly cheaper.

Deus Ex? I bought it for 10$ 2 months after it came out. And i have it forever in my steam account without having to pay a subscription monthly. You have to with PS4 if you want to maintain your library. Stop paying and you lose everything. You have to pay. Once you start paying, few months forward you have a library that you won't want to lose. So you will keep paying. You have to.

PCs are much better for your pocket. You buy some parts that may look more expensive at first. But then you imagine how much you'd have to pay to get all the games you really want to have on consoles. And you count 10 games. 10 games for 50$. 500$. There are sales on consoles but let's face it, not many times is an AAA game on sale for more than 25%-33% off.

Well on steam those 10 games might just as well be 10$ each if you wait a month or few.

We also have GOG etc. without DRM.

I could go on and on and on.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

AND WE GOT HUMBLE BUNDLEEEEE!

www.humblebundle.com

Sadly most of that is either gimmick you can get by installing software on your PC or is just silly or already has been implemented. Diablo 3 could be played as you are downloading. Was it a deal breaker? no. How many times do you install same game? 1 time usually, maybe few times if it's absolute classic. You can as well leave PC overnight to download a game and get it full and running by the morning.

Etc. etc.

Consoles are very expensive business but they are aimed at people who can't count to few hundred dollars. Why? You buy PS4 and Vita for 500$ together. Great. What can you do with it? Nothing. What do you have to do now? Buy games. How much do games cost? 50$? 60$? and in some countries perhaps more? Great, on PC you have same pricing intially or only slightly cheaper.

Deus Ex? I bought it for 10$ 2 months after it came out. And i have it forever in my steam account without having to pay a subscription monthly. You have to with PS4 if you want to maintain your library. Stop paying and you lose everything. You have to pay. Once you start paying, few months forward you have a library that you won't want to lose. So you will keep paying. You have to.

PCs are much better for your pocket. You buy some parts that may look more expensive at first. But then you imagine how much you'd have to pay to get all the games you really want to have on consoles. And you count 10 games. 10 games for 50$. 500$. There are sales on consoles but let's face it, not many times is an AAA game on sale for more than 25%-33% off.

Well on steam those 10 games might just as well be 10$ each if you wait a month or few.

You made this about PC VS Console.

That's not at all what we are talking about. He said "I never saw anything that it was offering that wasn't the same as any other current gen consoles."

I was listing the things that it's doing that's new to consoles. Regardless of what is said about PC VS Console, you can't build a gaming PC with the equivalent power of a PS4 for the same price. You can get 2 free games every month for the effective cost of $5 and those are AAA games, and the consoles can do more and more every generation.

That's an answer to gaming price to performance ratio, the Steam Sale/PC games being cheaper, and functionality, the three major advantages PC's have. The gap is slowly closing between PC's and Consoles because they are essentially the same things in different forms.

Do not take this the wrong way. PC Master Race. However, Consoles, specifically PS4, are worth it this generation. Even if you only consider exclusives. 

† Christian Member †

Etc. etc.

^ all of this.  And if you want to play with friends, gotta go out and buy more controllers which are going to be darn expensive.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

You made this about PC VS Console.

That's not at all what we are talking about. He said "I never saw anything that it was offering that wasn't the same as any other current gen consoles."

I was listing the things that it's doing that's new to consoles. Regardless of what is said about PC VS Console, you can't build a gaming PC with the equivalent power of a PS4 for the same price. You can get 2 free games every month for the effective cost of $5 and those are AAA games, and the consoles can do more and more every generation.

That's an answer to gaming price to performance ratio, the Steam Sale/PC games being cheaper, and functionality, the three major advantages PC's have. The gap is slowly closing between PC's and Consoles because they are essentially the same things in different forms.

Do not take this the wrong way. PC Master Race. However, Consoles, specifically PS4, are worth it this generation. Even if you only consider exclusives.

They are not worth it and the more people buy them the worse it will be.

Do you realise how shitty the specification is? Those 4-5 cores for gaming... 1,6GHz. That will stop games from evolving. It's weakest link in whole console business this next generation.

Imagine. 6-7 years without ANY advancement in AI, because consoles cant handle that... Not only on consoles because games are made for consoles first and then ported to PC. Will those developers out there improve AI specifically for PCs? I doubt it. And AI is just a top of an iceberg.

Also remember that after you buy that console you still need to have a pc/computer in your house to do the essential tasks.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

After the disaster of the 360's launch (RROD), i'll never bother with a console at launch....

I'll probably pick up a PS4 at some point...

For those turning it into a PC v Console war, grow up, they are both out there for you to enjoy, there is no need to take a side, 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Long lineups, limited stock, price, defects that will get iron out later on (RROD, YLOD anyone?)... I don't plan to buy another console on launch day again. 

The last good launch console I had was a PS2 and that's still rock solid to this day.  Dodged the Disc-Read Error bullet on that one.  Had the unfortunate event of experiencing RROD and YLOD on launch Xbox 360 & PS3 (replaced both of them since).

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

They are not worth it and the more people buy them the worse it will be.

Do you realise how shitty the specification is? Those 4-5 cores for gaming... 1,6GHz. That will stop games from evolving. It's weakest link in whole console business this next generation.

Imagine. 6-7 years without ANY advancement in AI, because consoles cant handle that... Not only on consoles because games are made for consoles first and then ported to PC. Will those developers out there improve AI specifically for PCs? I doubt it. And AI is just a top of an iceberg.

Sounds like blind console hate to me, personally.

You do realize the APUs in the consoles are not out for PC, correct? These are next generation APUs. Lower core clock is important, but is not as significant because of this fact. You also ignore the boost clock, which is 2.3GHz IIRC.

You are also ignoring that games will not be made for console then ported to PC anymore since making them for console, effectively, preps them for PC accordingly since they use the same architecture.

I could go on. 

Also remember that after you buy that console you still need to have a pc/computer in your house to do the essential tasks.

Yes, and many people already own that PC. For enthusiasts like us, it is a moot point. However, for people who already have a pre-built Dell, a console is the cheaper choice so as to not make moot their purchase of that computer or to make what they already own unused.

I think that the only people who should choose PC over console, monetarily, are those that have neither and want the best. The rest should choose console for various reasons.

I want both. Because I like both. Specifically exclusives. If said exclusives were on PC, I would be a strictly PC gamer. If Sony made a PC component, I would prefer that so long as it were of high quality. Simply because they are what got me into gaming to begin with (PS1). I am an advocate of brand loyalty but with a pre-requisite of quality. If a product is low quality, no amount of brand loyalty or "good vibes" will make me interested.

After the disaster of the 360's launch (RROD), i'll never bother with a console at launch....

I'll probably pick up a PS4 at some point...

For those turning it into a PC v Console war, grow up, they are both out there for you to enjoy, there is no need to take a side, 

Agreed. I am kind of glad I will not be able to purchase the PS4 at launch for that very reason. I will have a heads up on problems so I can wait for better versions of the PS4 if necessary.

† Christian Member †

Very catchy tune. I never buy anything at launch anyways as I normally wait for any bugs/manufacturing defects to come to light first.  

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Why you should buy a PC over console:

You'll save tons of money with Steam sales. So much money that it will be sufficient to pay double for the PC than the console. And you will still have some left.

Well that depends on how many games you buy doesn't it genius

Intel i5 3570K | Msi GTX 660 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | AsRock Z77 Extreme 6 | Sharkoon T28 

Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Rocaat Pyra | Steelseries 7H | Corsair SP2500

Well that depends on how many games you buy doesn't it genius

In worst case you will save few bucks by going PC route no? :)

And i still think getting 10 games instead of 2 is better.

Or apple product...

EVER...

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

In worst case you will save few bucks by going PC route no? :)

And i still think getting 10 games instead of 2 is better.

5au62TS.gif

COMIC SANS