"Windows 10.1 beta" - New memory managememt: live compression/decompression - RAM usage may fluctuate. Beta testers enjoying it now.

GoodBytes

Microsoft details its new improved memory management that is coming up in the next version of Windows 10. We don't know if it will part of 10.1 officially, but as it is a big feature, it is safe to assume so. Currently, Windows Insiders on the Fast ring are using it as we speak. The early release is probably due to ensure the most testing is done. Already, it is known that Google Chrome 64-bit specifically, crashes due the new memory management. Microsoft already warmed Google about it to work together in solving the issue, but we know no details if Google has responded.

The new memory management system allows Windows 10 to run better on a system with low amount of memory. The target is low cost systems with low memory, old systems, and smartphone running Windows 10.

It works by detecting when you are low in memory, and when you are it will compress in place unused for a while pages (program memory) in place (for maximum performance), instead of moving it to disk pagefile. The problem with secondary storage (HDD/SSD), is that those are way slower than your RAM. So avoiding it, keeps the system operating faster. When a program is which its memory pages where compressed is accessed by the user, Windows decompresses it, once again in place.

As a result of this behavior, expect Windows processes and your programs memory usage, to fluctuate on the task manager, and CPU usage may increase as it decompresses/compressed your pages, which should be visible when you ate getting close to low memory (memory pressure). Doing so reduces disk read/write of disk, and increases system responsiveness.

Microsoft says:

One of the primary goals of any operating system is to manage and share resources efficiently. How well and operating system arbitrates competing memory requirements is particularly important, because it impacts the user’s perception of system responsiveness.

In practice, compressed memory takes up about40% of the uncompressed size, and as a result of a typical device running a typical workload, Windows 10 writes pages out to disk only 50% as often as previous versions of the OS.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-educates-insiders-windows-10-handles-memory

Thanks for the tip: @deviant88

Office build number of Windows 10 is: 10240

Windows 10 Insider Preview fast ring Build where this feature was introduced: 10525

Awesome.

I like it a lot :P Very lightweight and smooth.

I just started to VM it and I'm not particularly pleased. Maaaaaybeeeeee it's because I'm using it on a VM but it seems that a lot of people are having problems with it so I'm not so sure about that. ;)

Cool. really useful for all the cheapo tablets, and the compute stick like devices. gonna check this out further

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Welp, I guess this is how we're naming Service Packs now.

Hopefully they can fix this mess of an OS.

you lovely person, its a beautiful and smooth os

Edited by colonel_mortis
Sunshine and rainbows

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

I just started to VM it and I'm not particularly pleased. Maaaaaybeeeeee it's because I'm using it on a VM but it seems that a lot of people are having problems with it so I'm not so sure about that. ;)

Yeah, some people are having problems while others aren't. Give it a month, i'm sure most if not all major issues will be fixed. I've got 5 systems now with W10 and all work better than before to my surprise.

Edited by colonel_mortis
More sunshine and rainbows

wait is this a update or a new os? wutdafauq

Remember 8.0 got the update 8.1.... think that.

still, most problems are related to some poor design decision (namely the not-yet-complete separation of the "modern ui" from the desktop, which is still a lot better than it ever was in 8/.1) rather than to the underlying os. In the time I used it it never crashed (except when my psu started to die) and was all around very responsive. It's no vista, that's for sure.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i can confirm its very smooth to use compared to windows 7. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

still, most problems are related to some poor design decision (namely the not-yet-complete separation of the "modern ui" from the desktop, which is still a lot better than it ever was in 8/.1) rather than to the underlying os. In the time I used it it never crashed (except when my psu started to die) and was all around very responsive. It's no vista, that's for sure.

Eh, I'll just wait a few more months.

i can confirm its very smooth to use compared to windows 7. 

Only times I had problems with 7 being smooth was my HDD being slow and when I broke the OS beyond repair.

ladies ladies lets not fight ;)

Never!

Huh, I was more interested in the new feature that allows you to CHANGE THE FUCKING COLOR OF THE TITLE BAR OF A WINDOW.  :angry:

Me too, chrome looks horrible this way and I can't see which window is active.

well wait a few weeks. i get fixes and updates almost daily anyway, and ive never encountered a problem with it. 

I can't even update Windows 8, what makes you think I can update 10?

quality posts are a rare thing on LTT these days, lets not ruin this one :D, i'm sure there are plenty one liners with source threads you guyz could cuddle.  

All posts by me and Luka are quality.

I can't even update Windows 8, what makes you think I can update 10?

All posts by me and Luka are quality.

Well its auto updates and they are small, a few kB in size on average.

And yes, very very true, ask @BonBon Scott or @ShadowCaptain

I can't even download shit at a decent rate to begin with, even if they are "small" sizes.

Yeah, some people are having problems while others aren't. Give it a month, i'm sure most if not all major issues will be fixed. I've got 5 systems now with W10 and all work better than before to my surprise.

Most of the issues people are having is because they did a upgrade install.  It works exactly how Microsoft made it to work, which isnt much different than anything else they do.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

yeah I havnt even noticed a single update, or any restarts

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

OTish: Anyone want to start placing bets how many service packs Win10 will get?

You don't know what a service pack is, do you? Because this isn't it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit