Google makes its own 200$ wireless router - OnHub

GoodBytes

I got 2 questions.

1) Why the hell does it only have 2 Ethernet ports? For 200 dollars they should have had at least a few more.

2) Why does the router need a speaker?

Really.. if that is the case, it might fall apart before you open the box, and maybe even built-in backdoor.

why backdoor...your the antitinfoil guy?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I got 2 questions.

2) Why does the router need a speaker?

So that it can make fun of you when you visit questionable sites. And remind you every 3 min that you are connected to the internet. "THIS GOOGLE ONHUB YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET!!!!". I really don't know.

why backdoor...your the antitinfoil guy?

:P TP-LINK was found to put a backdoor on some or all (not confirmed) of their routers in 2013. No information is that was intentional or security bug or rogue employee.

Wow.  Didn't think I'd find routers that I'd hate more then the garbage cisco/Linksys has been vomiting out the last few years for consumers.

Really need to just build our own from now on cause I for one want options, and I'm going to assume that DD-WRT is not going to happen here since...well it's google.

If everyone could just tell me what the fuck is wrong with everything instead of spitting out useless error codes that YOU HAVE A WHOLE DAMN KNOWLEDGE BASE DEDICATED TO, random, cryptic light flashes and beeping, the world would have been a better place.

Flash light means activity. Each light on your router represents what the icon bellow it or text indicates.

A solid light means that it has a stead connection. Usually steady light is on the power light, and that the wireless or wired connected device is on, is turned on/have signal, but has no activity. blinking means it has activity.

That is about it.

Microsoft Wifi, not yet

Windows laptop, check

Microsoft router, not yet

Microsoft browser, check

Microsoft search, check

Microsoft OneDrive, check

Microsoft phone, check

Microsoft tablet, check

LOL MS is smarter, you only need windows 10 that's it!

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

I wish it had more ethernet ports, but other than that it looks pretty solid. 

COMIC SANS

I'm not sure who they're targeting here. I would think the people that would spend $200 on a router will probably know how to set it up and would want to do some more advanced things with it. But yeah, since we don't know exactly how it's going to work it might as well have an "expert" mode with more advanced settings and things like that.

Should have Google Fiber in the next year.  May as well just get Google everything.  My meta-data is going through Google either way!  :ph34r:

You lucky lucky bastard.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Haha cool it kinda reminds me of Amazons Alexa.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

And then everything you do on the internet will be sent to Google for their own good.

No thanks.

Ye ole' train

And then everything you do on the internet will be sent to Google for their own good.

No thanks.

Ehh NSA already knows everything we do anyways.

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

You know... usually when you spend a good amount on a quality router from a good manufacture, you have no wireless problems. They have excellent range, powerful enough to handle big loads from a demanding home environment.

I think Google tries to pull what I call the "Apple switch effect". You know the reaction that people have when they always buy those 400$ laptop, and always complain on how crap their system is, and then switch to Apple, and goes "OMG!!! Apple is soo amazing!!!" without knowing the real reason it is so amazing it is because they just cashed out 2000$.

They are many crap routers out there, and many people buy the low end stuff, not to mention most ISP give you meh routers at best, or worst: all-in-ones, where it is literary: Jack-of-all-trades-Master-of-none. So cashing out 200$ on a this router, they'll get amazing experience, solid network.

But one thing it can't solve is some wireless setups that people set up. Where they put their router in a closet, or behind a bunch of furniture, and what, where it can overheat, or block the signal not allowing it to get good range.

I know, but when deciding on a router the one that was a step up from mine was 30$ more and had a quad core instead of a dual core(I believe, only diffrence was a stronger cpu). what difference does it make? 

not much but i would say a quad core might be able to handle QoS + 1Gbps down

but with 1Gbps down why would u need  QoS :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Now if they would just make one with Ethernet, that'd be great.

This. My first thought was want, but after seeing it had only two I was like "meh".

all you need is a $20 switch. I bought a 24 port manged Gb switch off eBay for $35.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

all you need is a $20 switch. I bought a 24 port manged Gb switch off eBay for $35.

Extra cables = no bueno. 

i'm a potato

Extra cables = no bueno. 

is 1 extra short Ethernet cable. and a power cable that bad?

I personally would not run any Ethernet though my router, I use the switch. 

So this is googles equivalent to apples routers?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

google making it's own router? more like slapping a sticker on one of TP-Links'

and no lights .. oh wait  :lol: diag LEDs are a must, at least you could put a sw to turn them off - some manufacturers already do that

Not quite -- the switch will take care of your local network, but you still need a router to do NAT.

I wonder if Google's reasoning behind having fewer Ethernet ports is that most people are using wireless nowadays, with far fewer using wired connections. You could still plug a switch if you needed more than 1 wired connection.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Not quite -- the switch will take care of your local network, but you still need a router to do NAT.

I wonder if Google's reasoning behind having fewer Ethernet ports is that most people are using wireless nowadays, with far fewer using wired connections. You could still plug a switch if you needed more than 1 wired connection.

What i mean is add a switch to your setup, the google router has 2 Ethernet, so 1 to wan and other to switch to get more wired ports.

Sounds good in theory, but only 1 gigabit port on the back? You can get a Linksys WRT1900 for 50 dollars less and it comes with a half decent app. I guess if you plan on having a switch to give you more gigabit ports or you don't have more than one device requiring a wired connection then this could work, but it still seems a bit steep just for more convinience. Google is claiming that their router won't have any connection issues, but any other router at this price point is going to have similar or better hardware and won't have any connection issues either. It's because everyone is running the crappy router that came from their ISP's or 13 year old WRT 54G's that can't handle more than 1 device.

google fiber, check.

google laptop, check

google router, check

google browser, check

google search, check

google drive, check.

Google Fi

Google/Andriod

Google Ethernet switch 

Google Desktops

Google calendar 

Google Mail

and

Web
Toolbar
Google Apps for Work
Google Cloud Platform
Google My Business
AdSense
AdMob
Analytics
Google Domains
YouTube
Google Play
Books
Image Search
News
Video Search
Picasa
Geo
Maps
Earth
Panoramio
Specialized Search
Custom Search
Patent Search
Google Shopping
Finance
Scholar
Trends
Gmail
Drive
Docs
Sheets
Slides
Forms
Build free surveys
Drawings
Sites
Translate
Voice
Google Wallet
Google Cloud Print
Google Keep
Google Store
Google+
Blogger
Groups
Hangouts

i might have missed a couple
Project Free wifi
Project Car
Space
Project Glass
Project Contact Lens

Yeah no thanks. I will stick with my Edge Router Lite + Unifi AP

Also "Simplicity" is nice and all for the first person to set it up, but please tell me it allows some sort of power user mode so that when trouble shooting the techies can still do atleast something with it.....

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

hmm this is great but I like DD-WRT, open-WRT, and Tomato too much. Guess im just too hardcore for this.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1