Resume Question.

ThyFeared

On my Resume should I include that I've built 5 computers and include a portfolio of them? It's a general question and also do I need to title this in my experience section as self employed?

That depends on where you're applying to. I'd rather not, cos if there's a word around the office you can build/fix computers - you're gonna have a bad time.

Unless you're applying to a job that directly involves building PCs, of course.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Probably not. It's more of a hobby than anything.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

On my Resume should I include that I've built 5 computers and include a portfolio of them? It's a general question and also do I need to title this in my experience section as self employed?

Mention building computers, absolutely. 

If it's a job of building computers, then yeah, you can provide more info. 

If its not a job of building computers - they don't care. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

That depends on where you're applying to.

Mostly entry level IT positions and local computer shops

depends on if this is relevant to the job you are going for.

Probably not. It's more of a hobby than anything.

Could still be handy maybe

If it's relevant to the job you're applying to, add it to the letter/email and not the resume IMO.

Maybe add that you know how to build PC's under skills or whatever.. But I don't think there needs to be a big explanation on what the PC's you made were about.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Then my answer is yes, you should put it on your resume. Maybe not portfolio, just a note that you know your way around that stuff.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

If its relevant use it, and bring a portfolio of your work as well.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Mention building computers, absolutely. 

If it's a job of building computers, then yeah, you can provide more info. 

If its not a job of building computers - they don't care. 

I've just never had a job so I thought putting this in my experience section would make it look not bad

If it's relevant to the job you're applying to, add it to the letter/email and not the resume IMO.

Maybe add that you know how to build PC's under skills or whatever.. But I don't think there needs to be a big explanation on what the PC's you made were about.

I've just never had a job so I thought putting this in my experience section would make it look not bad

Only if it's relevant to the job that you are applying for.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I would definately go into a little bit more info, say you have build xx desktops for xx reasons. But dont include a list. If they need to know what the sp[ecs were for some reason, then they will ask. So bring a portfolio, to show how proud of your work you are, but not in the initial resume. 

Othwewise its just too much info and most just want to know "can you build systems or not?"

Source: Worked at a computer repair shop, and was interviewed for several others. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

yep, i would include this. tough i would put it under hobbies and interests!

Applying for my job in engineering i did a portfolio of my things like my tesla coil, my oil submerged pc and i will add my coil gun(s) to the list once ive completed them. Always get asked about them by other engineers, feels like it gained me an upper hands and some respect, however i have had to fix a mig welder, and two lots of fairy lights now people know im good with electronics. 

200 applicants for the job, they picked me. 

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Do you have a skills section on your resume? (Like where you would put what programs and stuff you know, like your excel and Word and stuff..)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yep, i would include this. tough i would put it under hobbies and interests!

Yeah I'll just do that

Applying for my job in engineering i did a portfolio of my things like my tesla coil, my oil submerged pc and i will add my coil gun(s) to the list once ive completed them. Always get asked about them by other engineers, feels like it gained me an upper hands and some respect, however i have had to fix a mig welder, and two lots of fairy lights now people know im good with electronics. 

200 applicants for the job, they picked me. 

That's pretty cool :o

Do you have a skills section on your resume? (Like where you would put what programs and stuff you know, like your excel and Word and stuff..)

I'm putting it in my skills section. I'll still make a portfolio but only bring it if asked or I think it would help me

Thanks for all the help guys

I would find a way in wording it nicely.

" Over the years i've gained plenty of practice regarding ESD procedures and the safe handling of electronics, this has helped protect the thousands of < enter currency >  worth of hardware in the custom built computers i've planned and speced personally. "

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

I would find a way in wording it nicely.

" Over the years i've gained plenty of practice regarding ESD procedures and the safe handling of electronics, this has helped protect the thousands of < enter currency >  worth of hardware in the custom built computers i've planned and speced personally. "

You generally want to avoid first person pronouns on a resume.

Is it relevant to the job: If yes,  then yes. If no then no. Unless you have very little or no job experiance than you might add it, just to show you are dedicated to learning and you have the passion to learn about and finish a project. 

Depends what it's for. On a general CV that going to be handed out to any available job, then maybe mention that you build PCs, but don't go into detail. If you're applying for a job that it's relevant to, then mention it in more detail, but don't include pictures or details of the build in the CV. Attach a portfolio along with your CV instead.  

Bring the portfolio even if they don't ask you to initially.

Then if they ask for it during the interview, you have it with you already.

Instead of having to say you left it at home because they didn't mention it.

Bring the portfolio even if they don't ask you to initially.

Then if they ask for it during the interview, you have it with you already.

Instead of having to say you left it at home because they didn't mention it.

Yeah that's what I meant mostly.