Spotify set to end free music streaming under pressure from Universal, Warner and Sony

itsmefurqan

Welp, I guess Pandora gets to continue to have my babies. I'll just have to pirate all of the songs I have saved right now lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yeah... I'm curious whether or not that means they make no where near as much as they do from subscriptions? It's a lot of audio ads (can't even mute them), and a lot of free users, so surely it must be somewhere near their subscription revenue.

I believe something like 90% of their revenue comes from paying customers. They make almost nothing off the free users.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Guess I'll have to shell out the 5 bucks a month for premium then. :/

who cares...

if you cannot spare $9.99 USD a month to do shit legal, then seriously, cut down the candy.

Piracy is first and foremost based upon affordable availability.... most of you can afford $9.99 pr month. You just dont want to. Cheapskates.

Well i use premium. I wouldn't buy individual albums but 10 bucks a month to not rob artists is a good deal in my opinion

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

if you cannot spare $9.99 USD a month to do shit legal, then seriously, cut down the candy.

Piracy is first and foremost based upon affordable availability.... most of you can afford $9.99 pr month. You just dont want to. Cheapskates.

I can agree with this in the most basic sense. If you listen to a lot of music, then $10 per month is literally nothing. This of course, assumes you live in a western (or otherwise 1st world) economy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

And if this becomes a reality, we will be seeing the following headline

"Pirating sees sudden surge as spotify removes ad supported music"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

sooo umm what does this mean for youtube ??

Nothing, most music videos these days are uploaded by Vevo accounts and Vevo is owned and operated by Google along with UMG, SME and ADM. Unofficial videos will probably get copyright nuked (if they haven't already) but the music will still be there.

Spotify stops going free so people instantly resort to piracy eh? No doubt that some will, however, there's other alternatives that still offer free music. Even if other streaming services go, you'll still have Youtube. If there's still services out there that'll be just as good or better then I see no reason to pay tbh. I've come across a lot of artists that spotify doesn't have but sites like Youtube do so... *shrugs*

Some people here say that if you wont shell out 10$ a month, you are a cheapskate. I personally want to say, i would pirate music any day before paying for it. It is just so damn easy, that paying each month is like the easy way out. For music, 10$ per month is too damn much. Spotify for free is conveinient, but for music without spotify, a youtube to mp3 is dead easy for offline use, or a playlist with adblock enabled. It will be over my dead body to pay for music until they do something that is different and more convenient than just pirating or running adblock 4 dayz

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

This is why I prefer to buy, download, and keep my music through legit DRM-free sources.

Might be a RIP for Spotify...was good while they were around tho.

We shall see. The benefits of Premium are quite good, and it's very inexpensive. Furthermore, they very often run promotional sales, where you can get 3 months for $0.99 per month Premium, or $35 a year, etc.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Since iTunes is now "illegal", i am not surprised if everyone just downloads free MP3s. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Is playing 4 ads in a row not enough for them? 

it is even in my country where nobody advertises on spotify, but they have to play ads so you subscribe, so they "advertise" their own free features like radio and playlists and stuff and it's the same frickin 4 ad every time (or it used to be like 3 months ago when I didn't have a premium acc) and it is even more annoying then real ads, it forced me to subscribe, but at least here it is cheapest in the EU, 5 euros a month

Some people here say that if you wont shell out 10$ a month, you are a cheapskate. I personally want to say, i would pirate music any day before paying for it. It is just so damn easy, that paying each month is like the easy way out. For music, 10$ per month is too damn much. Spotify for free is conveinient, but for music without spotify, a youtube to mp3 is dead easy for offline use, or a playlist with adblock enabled. It will be over my dead body to pay for music until they do something that is different and more convenient than just pirating or running adblock 4 dayz

Just because it's easy doesn't make it right.

If everyone pirated it or ran ad-block, you wouldn't have any music to listen to, because a majority of musicians wouldn't be able to survive. Sure there will be those who do it exclusively because they enjoy it, but they deserve compensation.

Paying a monthly subscription, especially once you're an adult or even a teenager with a job, is painless and easy (Assuming you don't live in places that make it exceptionally difficult to pay for online things, like in India).

Why can't all of you be legit and straight up pay for it, no need to whine about it when it's only a small amount to pay for. 10 bucks a month or that 3 month thing(their still running it?) is not much compared to how much music you get on spotify. Ofc i don't even use spotify but these people complaining about it not being free is out of proportion.

I just use iTunes/Windows Media player/VLC with my own CDs. 

well apple music appears to be a failure so that'll probably give spotify execs more bargaining power. 

Well who cares? Just abuse the free trials  :P

I'm on my 4th free month now

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Paying for Spotify (if you're a student) is literally like skipping ONE kebab meal for a month. Don't tell me you can't afford that. 

How much more convenient do you want it to be before you will pay for your music? You want the singer to come to your house and sing it to you? And BS if you think pirating is easier..

won't effect me. I don't listen to music

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Heaven forbid people PAYING for things they LIKE. 

this isnt a thing,so not a necessity.most ppl cant afford another monthly bill for...music.even most of the ppl who afford it they wont pay. they allready pay for the internet bill and with youtube especially music lack is not a problem.at all

so yes this will increase piracy. and again,songs arent things,so its not theft

You all should just go to premium:

• They don't have everything, but they have a LOT of music, and it makes it far easier and cheaper to expand your taste than buying records does.
  • They offer offline playback of music, so there's no argument for people who listen offline, and they don't limit your offline storage amounts or usage.
  • You get a range of sound quality from normal MPx to high-end audio (beware of data usage).
  • You don't have to store physical media or have dedicated storage (unless you want it all offline).
  • If you can't afford $10 more a month, how can you afford monthly fluctuations in your spending (likely much more than $10). For that matter, how can you afford to buy music at all?

There will still be free music that you can obtain legally. If you don't take any of those avenues, you're stealing, plain and simple. For those of you who say that only physical things could be stolen, explain to me the phrase "They stole my idea!". Not according to your logic.

Don't be a bad person.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• If you can't afford $10 more a month, how can you afford monthly fluctuations in your spending (likely much more than $10). For that matter, how can you afford to buy music at all?

There will still be free music that you can obtain legally. If you don't take any of those avenues, you're stealing, plain and simple. Don't be a bad person.

today you can`t live without electricity,household water,etc but you can without music.ppl will just NOT pay for another monthly bill even if they afford it.especially with youtube.among other things

and no,if you pirate music you are NOT stealing. digital piracy is not theft. check it with your US court. stealing an actual music cd from the store and downloading an album from the internetz are two extremely different things