MS plans to return to PC gaming, by supporting STEAM on W10

zMeul

I think there is a more updated list somewhere else, but this is the best I could find on a short notice...

To be fair, they have announced Gears of War Ultimate and Halo Wars 2 for "Windows 10", whatever that means, hopefully it'll be a Steam release, but afaik no one knows.

I haven't seen anything other than Gears of War that shows they're serious, but even then that could just be them throwing us a bone.

I LOVED Halo for PC. One of the first games I played multiplayer online, and I was fairly good. Amazing game.. Then I bought Halo 2, as I got Vista at launch (for free, legit copy). That game was so old and UGLY! I played like half an hour, then dropped it. Microsoft ruined everything Halo.

For me this is not necessarily about Microsoft releasing games, but about managing the Windows platform in a pro gaming way. For instance, Windows 10 recognizes when I launch a game, and pops up a message of how to take a screenshot. Things like that are nice as Windows can be updated later on to use this identifying feature much better. As for games, making XBONE exclusive games available on PC as well would be a start. I understand a delay, but as long as it releases within a reasonable time, it would be nice.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Until I see an announcement saying "all Xbone exclusives will be ported to PC" I'm still calling bullshit on their "one ecosystem for Windows and Xbone" line.

That is all.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Bring us 64 Bit FSX then i'm fine.

Whatever happened to the old Microsoft PC games that were good........

You mean Microsoft Adventure? :P

Nope, still not going back to steam

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Steam? on Windows? wow revolutionary 

Basically they are going to do nothing

What a time to be alive amirite?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well, this is fine by me. Steamworks works, GFWL was almost nothing but issues. Halo Wars 2 on Steam here we go!

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Bullshit for media, if they wanted to really support PC gaming they would have at least, at least included a download steam app in win10 install/upgrade

No one gives a shit about xboxlive and store on win10 except those who probably already own consoles.

I disagree. That's taking it a step too far, as it alienates other platforms. On top of that, the number of PC gamers really isn't all that high in the grand scheme of things.

I just wish they would ban Uplay on Windows 10 so buying Ubi$hit games means you can play them without having to pirate them.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

I don't understand the talk of unifying Xbox and PC into one ecosystem. They keep saying that but what does it mean?

As for supporting steam? Steam already works great... I don't know what Microsoft plans to do. I guess it's a PR statement. He can't really say anything else since steam are the guys who almost singlehandedly engineered the PC gaming resurgence.

I think a lot of you are misinterpreting it. I'm pretty sure all they're saying is they aren't going to release all MS games on the windows store and exclude/remove games from steam.

MS will of course acknowledge that other gaming platforms exist on the PC side of things, ut that doesn't mean they have to really try to support them beyond letting them exist in their sandbox. MS will no doubt restrict the sales of truly AAA titles to the Xbox Store, and allow full integration into what they have now - not selling them on Steam is the only thing I can think of that would differentiate things. 

By all accounts, and ignoring the internets hyperbole, the current integration of gaming in Windows 10 is pretty nice. Built in friends list, party chat, and a avenue for matchmaking all in one. Along with the ability to stream from a Xbox and soon stream to other devices. MS isn't half assing this like GFWL was.

TBH, hearing MS say "we will do more" is getting tiresome. They give us the OS and they fund the development of the API that makes the gaming happen - what more do they really need to do? They need to just stop talking about it. They gave us a huge sandbox, we can't expect more and they need to stop promising more  

Great. Up next: Microsoft will make a consistent and focused effort in approaching designers by supporting monitors....even digital ones!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Where do I sigh up for Alpha? Is it gonna be closed? What about Beta? I have to get in, will buy someones invite.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

if STEAM was the only one making a profit, a whole lot of other services wouldn't still be around; like GoG, Origin ...

me? I'd rather support GoG Galaxy than STEAM

There's a difference between making a profit and making a steam-like profits. (and I'm not just talking about Valve here, anyone selling games on Steam is probably making much more money from it then they are on other platforms even when you include the 30% cut Steam takes) Do you think Steam is worth billions? Do you think Uplay is worth billions? Do you think Origins is worth billions? Do you think GoG is worth billions? I'm not talking about the game franchise they're selling on it but the platform itself. I dont consider any of these to be worth billions except for Steam personally. I'd honestly be surprised if Uplay has over 1 million active accounts. I think Origins is probably number 2 but I really really doubt it's anywhere close to Steam's numbers.

in june 2014, the concurrent users online record was 8 million, today it's 9 million + daily.

I really want MS to make a windows specific app or feature that embeds steam on your windows. Like tile support. And yes i use steam tiles.

There was already a 3rd party app for that called PinSteam.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

...SteamOS is pretty much DOA...

I LOL'd so much at this

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

if STEAM was the only one making a profit, a whole lot of other services wouldn't still be around; like GoG, Origin ...

me? I'd rather support GoG Galaxy than STEAM

I Like Origin Support,I Got Sim City On A Wrong Account,They Combined THe Accounts And Gave Me All The Sim City DLC

"because MS, beyond XBox services on Windows 10 doesn't hany any other intention for PC gaming - MS' idea of PC gaming doesn't go beyond XBox; that's their primary platform and will stay as such"

And yeah, this makes me sad whenever I see this. Their idea of PC gaming doesn't simply be that way which is Windows but some console.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I honestly expected steam to be shipped with win10, or the minecraft win10 edition be on Steam or something.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

still waiting for FS XI

would be a good way to advertise DX12... just sayin'

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

If you're expecting for every Microsoft published game to appear on PC then you are going to be disappointed because it's not likely going to happen. Microsoft needs to carefully choose what they want to bring to PC because they can't have people thinking "PS4 + PC and you get to play everything because all X1 games are on PC". I think Microsoft has been doing a decent (not great) job at supporting PC for a while now. I mean they aren't bringing you the main Halo series or Forza series but they have been at least adding GFWL games (e.g. Age of Empires III) to STEAM and then remastering (e.g. Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations) or porting other games to STEAM (Fable series, shitty Halo spinoffs); and of course they release "indie"/small games like Ori and the Blind Forest. Microsoft in the last 3 years has published 18 games on STEAM, they aren't all AAA games or anything but they are still doing something. And of course, don't forget that this year, since they got a new head of the Xbox division, they announced that these games are coming to PC:

• Fable Legends
  • Killer Instinct
  • Sea of Thieves (Rare's new game)
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,  
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Gigantic (new MOBA)

If you're expecting for every Microsoft published game to appear on PC then you are going to be disappointed because it's not likely going to happen. Microsoft needs to carefully choose what they want to bring to PC because they can't have people thinking "PS4 + PC and you get to play everything because all X1 games are on PC". I think Microsoft has been doing a decent (not great) job at supporting PC for a while now. I mean they aren't bringing you the main Halo series or Forza series but they have been at least adding GFWL games (e.g. Age of Empires III) to STEAM and then remastering (e.g. Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations) or porting other games to STEAM (Fable series, shitty Halo spinoffs); and of course they release "indie"/small games like Ori and the Blind Forest. Microsoft in the last 3 years has published 18 games on STEAM, they aren't all AAA games or anything but they are still doing something. And of course, don't forget that this year, since they got a new head of the Xbox division, they announced that these games are coming to PC:

• Fable Legends
  • Killer Instinct
  • Sea of Thieves (Rare's new game)
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition,  
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Gigantic (new MOBA)

Then make us get them a year later .