MS plans to return to PC gaming, by supporting STEAM on W10

zMeul

"We are not intending to compete with Steam," he told me, "If anything, we want Steam to be even more successful—they've done great things for PC gamers in terms of having a single store."

"Over time do we want more developers to come over to our store and offer it in addition to Steam? Absolutely. Is competition good for people? Absolutely."

These are opposites of each other MS!

Ummmm... How can they support it better? Make it subscription based?

- snip-

I like this new Microsoft. Acknowledging that not all of their implementations are best while still trying to offer competitive goods of their own. Dare I say Microsoft is cool again.

Oh and fuck Origin or whatever else. Steam is the only one i can tolerate.

PC is about choice. Choice in terms of hardware, software, distribution etc.. It's what seperates us from consoles. If the PC wasn't an open platform then AAA PC gaming would have died in the mid 2000s. Steam would never have been invented, the thing which saved pc gaming

Lol so Gaben's gigantic brainfart, creating SteamOS, because he had a hissy fit on Windows 8 (because it had an app store), is now completely unfounded? Well we already knew that. SteamOS is pretty much DOA (less than 0.9% Linux marketshare in Steam users). Much derp Gaben.

Are you for real?

Of course Linux has 0.9% marketshare in steam users. Steam games that support linux haven't been around for long, and the amount of games that support Linux are still dwarfed by their Windows-only counterparts. SteamOS hasn't even officially released yet, it's in beta. Now, as Steam Machines launch later this year, that number will increase, and that launch will also mark the stability of SteamOS (hopefully).

Is Linux ever going to overtake Windows on Steam marketshare? Probably not. Is that 0.9% number going to increase? Probably.

Are you for real?

Of course Linux has 0.9% marketshare in steam users. Steam games that support linux haven't been around for long, and the amount of games that support Linux are still dwarfed by their Windows-only counterparts. SteamOS hasn't even officially released yet, it's in beta. Now, as Steam Machines launch later this year, that number will increase, and that launch will also mark the stability of SteamOS (hopefully).

Is Linux ever going to overtake Windows on Steam marketshare? Probably not. Is that 0.9% number going to increase? Probably.

A game's support of Linux has nothing to do with steam; Linux has been out for decades. Also Valve claims there are 1000 Linux games on steam already: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2896797/steam-hits-1000-linux-games-days-after-valves-big-steam-machine-reveal.html

SteamOS is just a standard Debian Linux distro with steam installed, using Big Picture mode as standard. None of that has anything to do with a game supporting Linux. Nothing to prevent anyone from installing SteamOS or any other Linux distro right now.

The reason a lot more games are on Windows, is because it's the de facto standard platform, and that Direct X is actually useful. OpenGL is a mess, but hopefully Vulkan can change that. That is really the only hope Linux could ever get at gaining market share for gamers.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1. pay

2. press the install button

3. press the play button and i am in-game

If any game on Steam adds a single extra step to this - i will just fucking pirate it without hesitation.

Oh and fuck Origin or whatever else. Steam is the only one i can tolerate.

Try GOG.

Also, this is an extremely random post. What is wrong with you people?

give me a remake of Halo 1-4 (+5 & 6) for PC on steam and we are good to go..

Halo 1-3 is coming to steam this holiday season.

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

'MS plans to return to PC gaming' for the 8th time (3rd time this year alone)....

Actually they have said it more than 20 times since 2001. Once i read a post where a guy listed all the quotes and dates. It was pretty funny :D

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

A game's support of Linux has nothing to do with steam; Linux has been out for decades. Also Valve claims there are 1000 Linux games on steam already: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2896797/steam-hits-1000-linux-games-days-after-valves-big-steam-machine-reveal.html

SteamOS is just a standard Debian Linux distro with steam installed, using Big Picture mode as standard. None of that has anything to do with a game supporting Linux. Nothing to prevent anyone from installing SteamOS or any other Linux distro right now.

The reason a lot more games are on Windows, is because it's the de facto standard platform, and that Direct X is actually useful. OpenGL is a mess, but hopefully Vulkan can change that. That is really the only hope Linux could ever get at gaining market share for gamers.

SteamOS will be launching pre-loaded on a variety of different Steam Machines. As you might know not everyone is a DIY fanatic and as such people like to hop on these plug-and-play solutions. If Steam Machines kick off, you will automatically see an increase in Linux market share on Steam. This will in turn cause more developers to adopt the platform (hopefully).

Of course I'm only talking in a hypothetical sense but it is a plausible scenario. And as you said Vulkan could bring about improvements in game performance on Linux.

SteamOS will be launching pre-loaded on a variety of different Steam Machines. As you might know not everyone is a DIY fanatic and as such people like to hop on these plug-and-play solutions. If Steam Machines kick off, you will automatically see an increase in Linux market share on Steam. This will in turn cause more developers to adopt the platform (hopefully).

Of course I'm only talking in a hypothetical sense but it is a plausible scenario. And as you said Vulkan could bring about improvements in game performance on Linux.

Yeah I get your point and agree that Steam Machines could boost the market share of Linux, but considering Steam Boxes so far has been overpriced I'm not that sure. The biggest problem for Linux in the gaming market is the lack of a proper gaming API, as OpenGL is a massive steaming pile of fail. The success would mostly depend on Vulkan being as good as we hear it could be. It being based heavily on Mantle certainly helps. After all the only working AAA OpenGL games only works properly on Nvidia, as they themseles rewrites most of the shaders for the game themselves.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Lol so Gaben's gigantic brainfart, creating SteamOS, because he had a hissy fit on Windows 8 (because it had an app store), is now completely unfounded? Well we already knew that. SteamOS is pretty much DOA (less than 0.9% Linux marketshare in Steam users). Much derp Gaben.

Much lighting a fire under Micrsoft's ass.

meanwhile they wont release the forza 6 port they made

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Microsoft: "We are forging ahead in our efforts to support gaming on Windows. We will continue to allow you to install Steam on your PC."

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Try GOG.

Also, this is an extremely random post. What is wrong with you people?

Might aswell go back to pirating then abandoning 500 steam games just because of the DRM circlejerk.

I don't care about GOG or other any platforms, I just want to use Steam. And not in terms as a store, because I almost never buy anything from Steam itself, I mostly buy my games on GMG and G2A/Kinguin.

I still have and use Origin and Uplay, i don't mind those.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

i did read all this as i cba to much effort but cool microsft want to help steam 

but i read some people ho had some live tile ideas well dont right them on here submit your feedback to Microsoft if you never tell them ur idea it will never happen i no u think what's point of telling them it will never happen well ye it never happen if no one ask for it 

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Halo 5 for PC or riot

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Halo 5 for PC or riot

And Forza?

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Kevin Unangst, senior director for PC gaming in the Xbox group,

Hmmm I wonder if that department is a place where they stash employs that have grown afoul at the leadership.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Actually they have said it more than 20 times since 2001. Once i read a post where a guy listed all the quotes and dates. It was pretty funny :D

I really want to find the post! Do you know where it is?

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

It was over 5 months ago, sorry. But u could do a searcg for all "Microsoft gaming" topics and read the comments if u have a lot of time

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE