if you upgrade hardware w windows 10 you will have to buy it! :(

Maverick5500

Let me get this straight:

People get a free upgrade of Windows 10, and are complaining that it has restrictions?

If you actually bought a retail copy of Windows 10, you can install it on AS MANY DIFFERENT MOBOS AS YOU WANT. So long as they aren't simultaneously activated (no sharing of the product key).

If you build a new PC, you can reuse that key. This is for the purchased copy.

Even if it's free, it doesn't mean acceptable.

I appreciate microsoft move, i see it as a goodwill from them since 8 was disastrous. But making people migrate since " why not?" And suddenly you have restrictions that force you to buy windows 10 at the end... I hope that my windows key won't turn invalid after i upgrde it to 10.

OEM versions are hardware locked and have been for years now.

If you own a real version, you can reinstall it but can only have it activated on one PC at a time. (Which means you call a robot at Microsoft and activate the new computer.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

People on Twitter were freaking out over this and all MICROSOFT IS SO HORRIBLE OMG HOW COULD THEY WOE IS ME. I'm reading those comments (and some hysteria from this thread) and kind of shake my head. First off, it irks me that the main source of outrage is a single imgur pic. May as well grab something from Wikipedia lacking citation while you're at it.

If anything, this sounds like the basics of an OEM license that can give some people hassle over installing a new motherboard. Unless you're a tester with a workbench, chances are very slim you'll be really changing out the mobo frequently. Sincerely doubt your Windows install will suddenly break the moment you change RAM or upgrade your GPU - the main components people change. Been into computer hardware since 2001 and do not believe Microsoft would do something this irresponsible. Sounds more like people overreacting on the Internet again without verified sources beyond one image.

Well, they only gave out Win10 as an FREE UPGRADE

So if you think about it they do have a point there, but like you can just boot up win 7 or 8 and update it again not that hard

Okay. So i'm definitely a Windows insider, yet my install shows this:

LKj4Rcl.png
8qgUeiG.jpg

When i was using WIn10 a few days ago, i remember a watermark saying that the pc wasn't activated. But that doesn't seem to be there at the moment. IDK.

The reminds me of what those KMS tools do, but that **** hasn't gone near my pc.

I'm more amazed by the fact that someone on a tech forum is using their phone to take portrait pictures of a screen.

OEM pre built PC's windows keys are injected into the bios, to get them out the bios and off the the activated list is a pain in the ass, basically if you have a system like this you are screwed and are going to need another key. 

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Guys, there is slop in the HWID. You can upgrade most parts without having to reactivate.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

OEM pre built PC's windows keys are injected into the bios, to get them out the bios and off the the activated list is a pain in the ass, basically if you have a system like this you are screwed and are going to need another key.

There are tons of tools that can read keys from UEFI.

There are tons of tools that can read keys from UEFI.

yes. read, but not de-activate them....and if you manage to de-activate them, they become a dead key that can not be re-activated.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I've transferred my windows 8 key multiple times, it just said that my key had already been used call some bullshit number and fill in the like 8 part code thing.

I've transferred my windows 8 key multiple times, it just said that my key had already been used call some bullshit number and fill in the like 8 part code thing.

If you have OEM license of Windows, you are not supposed to. You are supposed to purchase a new license. Only it is fine if you have a retail license of Windows. Doesn't mean it works, that it makes it legit.

If you have OEM license of Windows, you are not supposed to. You are supposed to purchase a new license. Only it is fine if you have a retail license of Windows. Doesn't mean it works, that it makes it legit.

Well that's what happens if you get a OEM license, shouldn't your Windows 7/8 key just be converted to a retail Windows 10 key, so it should theoretically be perfectly fine.

I guess I'll find out when I upgrade to lga2011v3.

Well that's what happens if you get a OEM license, shouldn't your Windows 7/8 key just be converted to a retail Windows 10 key, so it should theoretically be perfectly fine.

I guess I'll find out when I upgrade to lga2011v3.

Nope. Microsoft said that your Windows 10 remains OEM.

yes. read, but not de-activate them....and if you manage to de-activate them, they become a dead key that can not be re-activated.

Deactivate? How and why would one do that?

Nope. Microsoft said that your Windows 10 remains OEM.

I'm up for arguing with Microsoft on the phone later in the year, going to go with the my old PC blew up angle.

Is this legitimately a problem? It's ALWAYS been the case with ANY software. All you have to do is call MS support and tell them you had to swap components for whatever reason; simple.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

So I am good to upgrade to nVidia Pascal next year without rebuying windows key? I do own a legit OEM W7 Home key though and I don't want to upgrade to W10.

your fine.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Because of stuff like this piracy exists.

If you are unhappy with the free offer, then don't get the free offer. You can go at the store and buy a retail copy of Windows 10, and enjoy it as you want. Or you can remain in your current version of Windows.

I wonder about the key in Window 10... I retrieved mine after upgrading from a retail 8 (with Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder). They key is different from my 8 key. When I clean installed, I typed it and it was accepted... Wonder if it's considered Retail 10. 

So I contacted tech support myself and got a different answer, he said that I should install the previous OS. And then upgrade the hardware, afterward I should upgrade to Win 10 again. 

lf401eH.png

Seems like a lot of hassle to me for a simple hardware upgrade. I will just wait until I get my pc-problems sorted out and then I will upgrade.

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

I wonder about the key in Window 10... I retrieved mine after upgrading from a retail 8 (with Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder). They key is different from my 8 key. When I clean installed, I typed it and it was accepted... Wonder if it's considered Retail 10. 

Probably not classed as a retail, its probably an upgrade....although there are retail upgrades....M$ need to come out and clear up this confusion...i may upgrade to a socket 2011 system later this year and won't be happy if i have upgraded a retail key for a upgrade key that is bound to my current MOBO and can not be unbound.

For the record, I re-used my Windows key without resetting it when I switched to Intel - key worked just fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I'm more amazed by the fact that someone on a tech forum is using their phone to take portrait pictures of a screen.

That's just what i did, no big deal.

Any thoughts on the actual problem?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Probably not classed as a retail, its probably an upgrade....although there are retail upgrades....M$ need to come out and clear up this confusion...i may upgrade to a socket 2011 system later this year and won't be happy if i have upgraded a retail key for a upgrade key that is bound to my current MOBO and can not be unbound.

If you have Windows 7/8 RETAIL, from NOW until July 29th 2016, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Upgrade, change your hardware, put your computer in the dish washer, buy again new parts that just broke due to the stupid idea of putting it in the dish washer, you'll have your Windows 10 upgrade for free.

If you have OEM, then in ANY CASE you need to buy a new license of Windows.