if you upgrade hardware w windows 10 you will have to buy it! :(

Maverick5500

Am I missing some sort of context here? You can reverse to windows 8.1

ex5JMQX.png

ex5JMQX.png?1

Then the webinarr I was in last week involving the Microsoft OEI license team for Australia plus partners from Dicker Data were wrong.

That's a bit of an issue when the distributor for Microsoft is incorrect..

Then the webinarr I was in last week involving the Microsoft OEI license team for Australia plus partners from Dicker Data were wrong.

That's a bit of an issue when the distributor for Microsoft is incorrect..

Well, they weren't completely wrong. It seems that after a month, the upgrade is indeed permanent. :P

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Well, in my case, I was able to revert back to 8.1 even after deleting the Windows.old folder.  I simply used Microsoft's media creation tool for Windows 8.1, chose x64, English (United States), and my Edition.  During the installation setup, I chose the Custom Install option and deleted all existing partitions from my drive and continued the traditional install steps.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

You are the only person saying these things about keys being upgraded and usable with Windows 10, so I'd like to know the source and proof of this information.

From 1st hand experience over the past few days I have discovered.

1)  A Windows 7 retail key when upgraded to Windows 10 can not then be used to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on another machine.

2)  After upgrading a Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 you can wipe the drive and use the same copy of Windows 7 to install fresh on a new different machine and it activates online fine.

3)  I am yet to find out if after doing scenario 2 you can then upgrade to Windows 10.  I will post results when I try.

From 1st hand experience over the past few days I have discovered.

1)  A Windows 7 retail key when upgraded to Windows 10 can not then be used to install a fresh copy of windows 10 on another machine.

2)  After upgrading a Windows 7 machine to Windows 10 you can wipe the drive and use the same copy of Windows 7 to install fresh on a new different machine and it activates online fine.

3)  I am yet to find out if after doing scenario 2 you can then upgrade to Windows 10.  I will post results when I try.

As I suspected. Some of the information on these forums is so bad...