if you upgrade hardware w windows 10 you will have to buy it! :(

Maverick5500

I am sure you did a lot of my friends have made the switch from AMD to Intel and had to do it also why you getting so defensive lol.

what am i defending?

Returning after 8 years dormant

I asked micorosft support, and they told me that if I reinstall my original copy of windows, because I had reserved it I will always be able to upgrade from that OS back up to 10, so the license will revalidate. However, I'm not quite sure how that would work, so take it with a grain of salt.

from my understanding you can do this for the first year of win 10

The MOBO issue?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Pretty sure you don't have to rebuy. If you use a microsoft account the key is tied to said account and you can deactivate the key prior to changing hardware and be able to reuse the key. on win 10 i am certain you can just reinstall it using your account as it will be able to detect if you log in the same account from 2 different machines at the same time.

I have a friend who works for micrrosoft licencing team.. I'll try get some inside info if possible.

that would be awesome :)

show some light on the topic

It has been an outrage for over a fucking decade now with hardware changes, not sure if it can even be called "news" so to speak (nothing personal OP I know you're just reporting the articles and comments)

-------

Current Rig

-------

Microsoft sucks ass i knew it was too good to be true.

The whole OS is filled with bloatware, and spyware i had to run so many tweaks and reg fixes to its unbelievable.

Without this i wouldnt even use win10 http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/63498-Windows-10-TNBT-(The-next-big-tweak)-official-thread

I cant do a fresh install from USb my windows wont activate.

And now if upgrade my hardware i have to buy windows hahaha aint gonna happen, i upgrade something in my PC almost every year.

It wont be long until someone releases an activator guys so use that instead if you upgrade hardware, dont give M$ a single penny they dont deserve it.

But if you dont upgrade your Disk with windows on it, it might still work, i see in windows defragmenter windows upgrade creates a new recovery volume with an ID similar to an activation ID i usually delete that and reformat on clean install which is why probably i didnt manage to make a clean install so far i should reformat just the space where i install windows, and leave the recovery and extra volumes there.

I think as long as you dont delete that you might still be able to reinstall even if you change ther rest of the PC hardware.

And then i think you could reinstall your 7 or 8 copy activate and make an upgrade to 10 if you change hardware until next year, but after that you will be stuck to your installed copy and HDD you installed it on, what a bunch of crap, typicall microsoft nonesense.

image.jpg

It's been the same for ages at this point, afaik

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Hoping this is just the same shit as windows 7 and 8 had where you just have to call up M$ and have them activate it for you...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Hardly an issue as things stand.

You can activate pretty much anything at the moment, like literally anything. I'm pretty sure If I were to spam update enough on my 11 year old Windows XP machine, that's sitting in the garage, it would eventually upgrade to Windows 10, and activate.

Edit: I'm gonna kappa this, cause I feel like I need to kappa this.

I've installed a windows 7 oem key on two different motherboards without any issues...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Does this mean I have to buy a new washing machine too?  what about my clothes dryer? 

Some people just over react to everything. :rolleyes:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I've installed a windows 7 oem key on two different motherboards without any issues...

Really? how im trying to do that atm

Does this mean I have to buy a new washing machine too?  what about my clothes dryer? 

yes you will have to buy new washing machine

I think I understand what is happening or is meant.

When we upgraded to Windows 10, we didn't have a product key. A hardware ID is generated from the motherboard and associated with our Microsoft account.

So, if we upgrade our system NOW -> no problem. Install Windows 7/8 and then upgrade for free to Windows 10.

But after 1 year, where the free upgrade to Win10 special will be over, Microsoft didn't share any details on how we would handle hardware upgrade.

So you can STILL install back your old Windows 7 or 8, assuming it isn't OEM license, with your new hardware. But you can't upgrade to Windows 10 for free as the offer will have ended by then. And you can't directly clean install, as the hardware id associated with your Microsoft account, is different now with the new system.

As most people here buys the OEM license of Windows 7/8, I don't think this is an issue, as in any case you are supposed to buy a new license. For those where it worked, well it is just luck as your hardware is very similar to your old one, but you are not supposed too. Microsoft has always clearly stated: New Motherboard -> new OS (assuming OEM license of course). Those that are affected are those with a retail version of Windows.

I have a feeling that if the App Store performs well for Microsoft, the company can convince its shareholders and investors that having Windows 10 for free all the time is the way to go. This might explain the offer limit of 1 year, and not a few months (usually 3 and you have to pay.. just a discounted price, never free). They want the App Store to work, like it does for Apple and Google own app stores.

Argh! The outrage! Cmon moose, I told you to stop applying logic to these situations. :P

I think I understand what is happening or is meant.

When we upgraded to Windows 10, we didn't have a product key. A hardware ID is generated form the motherboard and associated with our Microsoft account.

So, if we upgrade our system NOW -> no problem. Install Windows 7/8 and then upgrade for free to Windows 10.

But after 1 year, where the special will be over, Microsoft didn't share any details on how we would handle hardware upgrade.

So you can STILL install back your old Windows 7 or 8, assuming it isn't OEM license, with your new hardware. But you can't upgrade to Windows 10 for free as the offer will end. And you can't directly clean install, as the hardware id associated with your account, is different now with the new system.

As most people here buys the OEM license of Windows 7/8, I don't think this is an issue, as in any case you are supposed to buy a new license. For those that it worked, well it is just luck as your hardware is very similar to your old one.

yes this is what i mean

but you didnt buy oem you would still be on that version yes? (after this first year)

The support guy is just confused, I'm sure. I doubt that Microsoft has changed their definition of a device and it's probably still only the motherboard that it's tied to.

This doesn't affect me, though. I have a free Windows 10 key through DreamSpark, so I'm safe for my planned motherboard upgrade so long as I keep the key written down somewhere (assuming that I don't need to use the key before my account expires next year so long as i order it in time).

Lol everybody who upgraded to 10 freely thought 'Windows 10' was 'Christmas' & Microsoft was Santaclaus,

it was just a slick  lure & satan on the other side xD

dcb1690c2cb99d7e4ab6ea5c0e153961965da7eb

Details separate people.

Argh! The outrage! Cmon moose, I told you to stop applying logic to these situations. :P

UUUUUURGH!!!!!!   Nothing has changed, why are people enraged? Why did I think anyone would remember that it was always going to be like this?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

UUUUUURGH!!!!!!   Nothing has changed, why are people enraged? Why did I think anyone would remember that it was always going to be like this?

rebuying the os when you have a retail version (not oem)

People conveniently forgot these kinds of things exist and act so outraged over something that has been like this for what? 20+ years? 

Really? how im trying to do that atm

yes you will have to buy new washing machine

I just type in the code and I'm good to go...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10