world's first white lasers

jos

a thin layer of semiconductor that measures roughly one-fifth of the thickness of human hair in size with a thickness that is roughly one-thousandth of the thickness of human hair--with three parallel segments, each supporting laser action in one of three elementary colors. The device is capable of lasing in any visible color.

The technological advance puts lasers one step closer to being a mainstream light source and potential replacement  to LEDs. Lasers are brighter, more energy efficient, and can potentially provide more accurate and vivid colors for displays like computer screens and televisions. Ning's group has already shown that their structures could cover as much as 70 percent more colors than the current display industry standard..

Another important application could be in the future of visible light communication in which the same room lighting systems could be used for both illumination and communication. The technology under development is called Li-Fi for light-based wireless communication, as opposed to the more prevailing Wi-Fi using radio waves. Li-Fi could be more than 10 times faster than current Wi-Fi, and white laser Li-Fi could be 10 to 100 times faster than LED based Li-Fi currently still under development.

it is a single semiconductor piece capable of laser operation in the three fundamental lasing colors. The piece is small enough, so that people can perceive only one overall mixed color, instead of three individual colors

Hope it will reach market soon

Source: http://www.nanowerk.com/nanotechnology-news/newsid=40895.php

I have a question... How can a laser be White if white isn't a color on the Visable spectrum of light?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I have a question... How can a laser be White if white isn't a color on the Visable spectrum of light?

..how the hell do you see white then? Think about that.

Lasers are distinguished from other light sources by their coherence. Spatial coherence is typically expressed through the output being a narrow beam, which is diffraction-limited. Laser beams can be focused to very tiny spots, achieving a very high irradiance, or they can have very low divergence in order to concentrate their power at a great distance. Lasers are characterized according to their wavelength in a vacuum. Most "single wavelength" lasers actually produce radiation in several modes having slightly differing frequencies (wavelengths), often not in a single polarization. Although temporal coherence implies monochromaticity, there are lasers that emit a broad spectrum of light or emit different wavelengths of light simultaneously. There are some lasers that are not single spatial mode and consequently have light beams that diverge more than is required by the diffraction limit. However, all such devices are classified as "lasers" based on their method of producing light, i.e., stimulated emission. Lasers are employed in applications where light of the required spatial or temporal coherence could not be produced using simpler technologies.

Hmm...laser based point to point communication, I did that a while ago for voice using 2x torn down green laser pointers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

While light is all the colors combined. Shine a white light through a prism and you get a rainbow.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

White is a mixture of all the colors of light if I remember correctly, but normal light is all rays (hence why a Prism makes a rainbow). 

Lasers are distinguished from other light sources by their coherence. Spatial coherence is typically expressed through the output being a narrow beam, which is diffraction-limited. Laser beams can be focused to very tiny spots, achieving a very high irradiance, or they can have very low divergence in order to concentrate their power at a great distance. Lasers are characterized according to their wavelength in a vacuum. Most "single wavelength" lasers actually produce radiation in several modes having slightly differing frequencies (wavelengths), often not in a single polarization. Although temporal coherence implies monochromaticity, there are lasers that emit a broad spectrum of light or emit different wavelengths of light simultaneously. There are some lasers that are not single spatial mode and consequently have light beams that diverge more than is required by the diffraction limit. However, all such devices are classified as "lasers" based on their method of producing light, i.e., stimulated emission. Lasers are employed in applications where light of the required spatial or temporal coherence could not be produced using simpler technologies.

I'm not even gonna pretend I know what that means.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It's magic. You know.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Next up is RGB Disco lasers.

Combine that tech with this tech:

Laser-Projection-Keyboards.jpg

Razer Chroma Projection Keyboards incoming....

I'm not entirely sure, but I think white lasers were already a thing, so I will assume this uses better technology.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Simple, all three of your photoreceptor pigments are excited with near equal energy levels. You really should look into the anatomy of the eye and the science of optics. There's a reason "white" isn't a color of the rainbow or visible in a color-separating prism.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Because it's not a laser. It appears to be three lasers whose beams overlap.

I'm not even gonna pretend I know what that means.

He didn't really answer your question. He more sort of repeated it in more verbose language. The idea of coherence is about the light waves being emitted all being in phase. This almost always requires the light to be only one colour -- ie what you said was true that you cannot have a white laser.

He didn't really answer your question. He more sort of repeated it in more verbose language. The idea of coherence is about the light waves being emitted all being in phase. This almost always requires the light to be only one colour -- ie what you said was true that you cannot have a white laser.

What i said is Laser uses stimulated emission. it is the process by which an incoming photon of a specific frequency can interact with an excited atomic electron, causing it to drop to a lower energy level.  An electron in an excited state may decay to a lower energy state which is not occupied, according to a particular time constant characterizing that transition. When such an electron decays without external influence, emitting a photon, that is called "spontaneous emission".  lasers can also have a spectrum consisting of multiple lines, and some (particularly mode-locked lasers for ultrashort pulses) can have a large spectral width of 100 nm or more with a frequency comb structure. Here they created 3 lasers in a semiconductor using stimulated emission, thie3 lights are RGB.they kept the three sources so close that eventhough the output is 3 lines of RGB we see it as white light. hence it have spatial coherence and hence laser

Finally! White lightsabers!!!

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Simple, all three of your photoreceptor pigments are excited with near equal energy levels. You really should look into the anatomy of the eye and the science of optics. There's a reason "white" isn't a color of the rainbow or visible in a color-separating prism.

But it is in the visible light spectrum technically because it's a color you can see. Orange is a mix of colors but it's still counted, so there's no difference for white.

But it is in the visible light spectrum technically because it's a color you can see. Orange is a mix of colors but it's still counted, so there's no difference for white.

No, orange is an actual hue that exists as a single wavelength in the spectrum. White can only be produced by mixing a lot of lights of different wavelengths at the same energy levels.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

No, orange is an actual hue that exists as a single wavelength in the spectrum. White can only be produced by mixing a lot of lights of different wavelengths at the same energy levels.

..still the same thing imho..

Don't have a PhD in the field to know for sure though.

..still the same thing imho..

Don't have a PhD in the field to know for sure though.

White does not exist as a single thing. Orange does. White is not a color in the spectrum. It's a compound "color" like brown is. Orange can be brought to you by a single light source at a certain wavelength. It's a singular color in light, a compound color in pigment. http://designbycoffee.com/hierarchy-of-color-consensus-seen-in-culture/

You can't get white without multiple wavelengths being present. You can get orange with only 1.

White does not exist as a single thing. Orange does. White is not a color in the spectrum. It's a compound "color" like brown is. Orange can be brought to you by a single light source at a certain wavelength. It's a singular color in light, a compound color in pigment. http://designbycoffee.com/hierarchy-of-color-consensus-seen-in-culture/

You can't get white without multiple wavelengths being present. You can get orange with only 1.

Okay but as with brown, brown is considered a color, is it not?

Okay but as with brown, brown is considered a color, is it not?

every colour exists out of a singlewave length, except for black(no wavelength) and white(every wavelength)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

every colour exists out of a singlewave length, except for black(no wavelength) and white(every wavelength)

You're missing my point. Brown is technically considered a color even though it's a mix of different wavelengths. The only difference is that white is more wavelengths.