According To 8chan's /tech/, Windows 10 Could Be Fairly Malicious

Ok, why is this forum full of micro$oft white knights? Who are you protecting? Anyway... Windows is going downhill. I knew that things will only get worse after windows 8. It as far as I see I was right. Widnows 10 is nothing more than a giant steaming pile of shit, that beats even vanilla 8 with it's bullshit.

Also, everything mentioned in the OP is true. Here is more "reputable article" on the matter.

They aren't lying and tell you clearly about what's happening. They are being honest not giving overly long fine print in hope you won't read it. I would suggest taking your tin foil hat off, removing your windows 8 nostalgia Goggles and looking at this in context not isolation. Every windows has a launch hate train following it staffed by nut jobs and misinformed. I would suggest finding far more dangerous targets...like lets numerous ad companies who go out of the way to hide their presence/not bother to tell you what they do unless you ask

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Ok, why is this forum full of micro$oft white knights? Who are you protecting? Anyway... Windows is going downhill. I knew that things will only get worse after windows 8. It as far as I see I was right. Widnows 10 is nothing more than a giant steaming pile of shit, that beats even vanilla 8 with it's bullshit. 

Also, everything mentioned in the OP is true. Here is more "reputable article" on the matter.

There is not protecting anything. It is about providing false information, false scares to others.

So far, no one that says that it is what the title say it is, has any proofs or any supporting arguments that it is.

As for collecting information, it is clearly mentioned. Microsoft did not hide anything, even mentioned it at BUILD even and IGNITE event.

Cortana even asks you if you want it to track your interest, access to your calendar, etc.

And based on all that info, it is fraction that what Google. Yet, people are fine with it with their Android phone, and Chrome web browser.

And to be fair I Agree that the hybrid control panel needs to become one smooth one while this is better it's needs to be better still. His complaints about torrented updates I don't agree video games like WOW have torrented updates for years and will improve user experiences for everyone.

However data hoovering to rival Google...hardly

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

There is not protecting anything. It is about providing false information, false scares to others.

So far, no one that says that it is what the title say it is, has any proofs or any supporting arguments that it is.

As for collecting information, it is clearly mentioned. Microsoft did not hide anything, even mentioned it at BUILD even and IGNITE event.

Cortana even asks you if you want it to track your interest, access to your calendar, etc.

And based on all that info, it is fraction that what Google. Yet, people are fine with it with their Android phone, and Chrome web browser.

Nothing in the 8chan post is false.

I went through and checked all the things to see if it was true, and it is.

Data collection is not clearly mentioned. It was clearly mentioned in the TP but everyone assumed it would not be in the final release, which it is now confirmed that it is.

And why are you bringing up Google? "others does it too" us not a valid excuse. All that says is "Microsoft is as shitty as Google",which is not a good thing. It's a terrible thing.

Nothing in the 8chan post is false.

I went through and checked all the things to see if it was true, and it is.

The claims it makes are false. End of story.

Until you give me evidence that Windows 10 is malicious, it is false.

Data collection is not clearly mentioned. It was clearly mentioned in the TP but everyone assumed it would not be in the final release, which it is now confirmed that it is.

Clearly mentioned. You aren't using Windows 10 to know.

And why are you bringing up Google? "others does it too" us not a valid excuse. All that says is "Microsoft is as shitty as Google",which is not a good thing. It's a terrible thing.

Never said that. I said that it is not as bad as Google, and people are fine with Google policy.

And again, you can turn off or not use these features, much like you don't have to use Google services.

It's not undisclosed? Then can you please tell me what data they collect? Not in vague terms but like actual "they collect X and Y and Z and A and B".

All I can find are some very vague terms that don't actually tell you what they collect and how much.

That article about Microsoft getting the source code reviewed is 12 years old, and a lot has changed since then. For example Microsoft has entered the ad business and are far more interested in personal details now. Don't assume that Microsoft are exactly the same as they were 12 years ago.

Also you didn't answer my question. Do you or do you not think that collecting an undisclosed amount of personal information without the majority of users' knowledge is bad?

Like I said before, even Microsoft themselves classifies it as malware, regardless of how much info they collect.

They tell you in the agreement/options when installing so it's your fault for not knowing

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

The claims it makes are false. End of story.

Until you give me evidence that Windows 10 is malicious, it is false.

I am at a loss for words... Did you miss my post where I validated their claims and found them to be true? I went over all the things in the OP, validated that they were true, gave my opinion on them, told everyone which one them can and can't be disabled and then offered help to anyone who did not believe me and wanted to check it for themselves.

You are extremely deep in denial if you still don't think the claims are valid.

If you want to be pedantic over the use of "malicious" then fair enough, but all the things 8chan claimed that Windows 8 does it actually does. If you don't think they should be classified as malicious then fair enough, but some people will, and arguing over semantics doesn't impact the things Windows 10 actually does.

Clearly mentioned. You aren't using Windows 10 to know.

I am using Windows 10 and I didn't know about it. Read the comments in this thread and you can clearly see that people did not know about it. Read the old threads about the data collection and you will see that a lot of people wrongly assumed that all the data collection would go away when the TP was over and the retail version rolled out.

They tell you in the agreement/options when installing so it's your fault for not knowing

The agreement is very vague (and it will be changed in 2 days to include more rights to Microsoft and less rights to users), and some of the data collection is not included in the options during setup such as the telemetry.

I am at a loss for words... Did you miss my post where I validated their claims and found them to be true? I went over all the things in the OP, validated that they were true, gave my opinion on them, told everyone which one them can and can't be disabled and then offered help to anyone who did not believe me and wanted to check it for themselves.

If you want to be pedantic over the use of "malicious" then fair enough, but all the things 8chan claimed that Windows 8 does it actually does.

I am using Windows 10 and I didn't know about it. Read the comments in this thread and you can clearly see that people did not know about it. Read the old threads about the data collection and you will see that a lot of people wrongly assumed that all the data collection would go away when the TP was over and the retail version rolled out.

The agreement is very vague (and it will be changed in 2 days to include more rights to Microsoft and less rights to users), and some of the data collection is not included in the options during setup such as the telemetry.

Then lets wait until it's released (the agreement ).

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

If you want to be pedantic over the use of "malicious" then fair enough, but all the things 8chan claimed that Windows 8 does it actually does. If you don't think they should be classified as malicious then fair enough, but some people will, and arguing over semantics doesn't impact the things Windows 10 actually does.

Funny thing, I have asked people to do the same set of steps as you have stated, and so far, their results consistently contradict your own.

And to clarify:

1- I recall in a discussion that you mentioned that as long as it was written in the ToS, Google is not collecting information without consent. Why is it magically different here, under the exact same circumstances? 

2- If the disbelief of 4chan/8chan/reddit is completely arbitrary, then so is the personal blacklist for the likes of Polygon and Kotaku.

In both cases, it is one or the other, you cannot have it both ways.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I see no validations from you. All I see is a small segment of the privacy policy that you point out which has been covered by Microsoft.

Only the information is not false.

No comment. I guess you expect people to star hacking and tracing where the information is going and what is used for.

Making it clearly mentioned does not make it OK. All of these monitoring features are ON by default and sometimes not easy to turn off. Especially for ordinary unsuspecting users that might not be OK for microsoft to be collecting/selling their info.

I wouldn't say it's fraction of what google is doing. The whole "windows 10" is potentially much worse, because it's build in the OS. Something that is running always, not just a app or a service like google. Also, what makes you think that everybody is OK with google and chrome and android? I don't use chrome because of the privacy concerns. And I also don't have a smartphone.

They aren't lying and tell you clearly about what's happening. They are being honest not giving overly long fine print in hope you won't read it. I would suggest taking your tin foil hat off, removing your windows 8 nostalgia Goggles and looking at this in context not isolation.

But of course they are being honest. How generous of them.

Oh I love the "tin foil hat" argument. It's just so clever. And I don't have nostalgia glasses, especially for windows 8.

Every windows has a launch hate train...

I wonder why that is... Could it be because it gets worse with every new windows? And having people to adapt things that change for the worse? hmm...

I would suggest finding far more dangerous targets...like lets numerous ad companies who go out of the way to hide their presence/not bother to tell you what they do unless you ask...

I do not think that ad companies are the biggest problem here.

HARDWARE INTERRUPT MOTHAF#%A!
WINDOWS 10 = adware, driven by spyware

Few people are going to see the explanations to the extent of the default settings harvesting their data because they're deliberately out of the way. Most people only ever choose express settings. The fact that you can delve into the esoterica and manually make it less bad doesn't make it OK.

Then lets wait until it's released (the agreement ).

It's already out (just not in effect yet). The European Digital Rights organization is very critical against it.

Funny thing, I have asked people to do the same set of steps as you have stated, and so far, their results consistently contradict your own.

In what way did they contradict the results I got? What I did was a clean install of Windows 10, used all the default settings and then went and checked all the settings outlined in the 8chan post.

If you have seen people get different results then I am very surprised.

1- I recall in a discussion that you mentioned that as long as it was written in the ToS, Google is not collecting information without consent. Why is it magically different here, under the exact same circumstances?

I don't remember that conversation so I sadly can't say how they are different right now.

But just to be clear, I am by no means okay with all the shitty things Google does either. I would be ecstatic if it was announced tomorrow that Google, Microsoft and all other big data collecting companies started caring about their users privacy and gave full control over what data is and isn't collected about their users. It would be fantastic.

2- If the disbelief of 4chan/8chan/reddit is completely arbitrary, then so is the personal blacklist for the likes of Polygon and Kotaku.

Well of course. That's why I always encourage people to find multiple sources and test things out for themselves. That's why I didn't just go "oh my gawd this is terrible!" as soon as I read the title. I encouraged people to look into the validity of the claims for themselves before saying 8chan were correct or not.

Then when I had checked everything for myself I posted a list where I responded to each claim in an objective and nonbiased way and explained which things you could and could not disable. At the end of the post I gave my short personal opinion.

>Using 8chan as evidence for anything

>Using a -chan for anything other than spam

OP...just...please..

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

-snip-

Well, for starters, they make a universal claim that the telemetry setting can be fully disabled with a simple tick in a checkbox.

Also, about the multiple sources, where is it? Why has nobody else reported on it? If it was such a big issue, then I would have been brought up by the third party to verify the accusations. Notice that it has barely even been mentioned outside of 8chan; does that not say something?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

>Using 8chan as evidence for anything

>Using a -chan for anything other than spam

OP...just...please..

>Green texting on LinusTechTips

>Text isn't even set to green.

Just... please...

Using 8chan as evidence would be foolish. It's one of the least trustworthy sources on the Internet. But even a broken watch is right twice a day so I thought it was worth checking out. And wouldn't you know it, they were actually telling the truth. Luckily for us 4/6 of the claims they made are things that can be disabled. But again, only 4 out of the 6 things listed...

Well, for starters, they make a universal claim that the telemetry setting can be full disabled with a tick in a simple checkbox.

Who did it? I just checked it out and it can't be fully disabled. Can you please provide me with a screenshot or something? I only got the option for "basic", "enhanced" and "full (recommended)" in the settings.

In the policy I can set it to 0 but the help text clearly states that setting it to 0 on non-Enterprise versions will have the same effect as setting it on 1.

I wonder why that is... Could it be because it gets worse with every new windows? And having people to adapt things that change for the worse? hmm...

I do not think that ad companies are the biggest problem here.

If that's the case lets go back to xp

Wait that was hated on release

Oh wait hate

Windows 98

Some hated that too never mind

Point being symptoms dont necessarily indicate the cause and humans hate change.

Delivery true information in a needlessly negative or incorrect tone can deceive people into emotions and thought chains. Case in point kyubey from madoka magica...

Let's answer this question, if this is the last Microsoft OS you simply can't hold out forever like you did with Windows XP "windows 7 will not get that treatment".

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Let's answer this question, if this is the last Microsoft OS you simply can't hold out forever like you did with Windows XP "windows 7 will not get that treatment".

Here's my big problem with Microsoft and personal data collection.

Being forced to accept a policy that I disagree with if i want to continue to play games in the future.

In 2 or three years when games aren't backwards compatible with DX11 and there is no other way to play them, other then to upgrade to W10.

That is the only thing that makes me even consider a W10 upgrade. Even if that's the case I probably won't do it under the current policy.

If that's the case lets go back to xp

Wait that was hated on release

Oh wait hate

Windows 98

Some hated that too never mind

Some people still hate Vista and fail to admit that win7 is like service pack to windows vista. I still think that Vista is the best windows to date in terms of experience.

Delivery true information in a needlessly negative or incorrect tone can deceive people into emotions and thought chains. Case in point kyubey from madoka magica...

I agree with you here. But 9/10 it's totally justified and in many cases for the better.

Well, for starters, they make a universal claim that the telemetry setting can be fully disabled with a simple tick in a checkbox.

Also, about the multiple sources, where is it? Why has nobody else reported on it? If it was such a big issue, then I would have been brought up by the third party to verify the accusations. Notice that it has barely even been mentioned outside of 8chan; does that not say something?

I gave another source a few posts back. It's pretty much common knowledge now.

You do know that most of these can be turned off, right? In fact, during setup if you didn't choose Express Settings you would have seen TWO pages of privacy settings where you can turn such things off.

If people are so paranoid, they should just compile their own version of Linux.

Also, 8Chan? Really?

Unless Linux picks up A LOT of fucking pace for gaming and productivity in the coming 12 months.

We both know that's not going to happen anytime soon... it might never happen. :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.

snipity snip snip

Well Pando Media Booster is only a threat to your data cap if you have one. It's distributed with League of Legends and if it was some form of threat of any kind it would have been pointed out long ago. or should just serve as more proof as to why this information is mostly being used by an 8chan user to try and be an internet hero.

Also Cortana, Siri, and Google Now all work the same, so again a non-issue.

Wifi Sense fully disable-able(new word are fun amirite)

And Ive heard from several people that Windows Defender can be fully turned off permanently if there is another anti-virus/malware installed. I cant confirm/deny this though.

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

What the flying fuque?