MSI Unveils Their New Z170 Gaming Motherboards

Oshino Shinobu

MSI has shown off their new Gaming line of Z170 motherboards, and quite clearly, they have stuck with the red/black theme (which is fairly disappointing, to be honest).

The new boards are the Z170 Gaming M5, M7 and M9 ACK. 

enthusiast-gaming.png

The one thing I really do like is the red lining between the CPU socket and RAM slots. If they release boards in different colours, I hope they do the same with them. 

The most basic MSI Z170A Gaming M5 mainboards will allow users to build systems with Intel’s top-of-the-range “Skylake-S” processors, multiple graphics cards and modern solid-state drives.

The more advanced MSI Z170A Gaming M7 will have similar feature-set, but more sophisticated CPU VRM, more advanced overclocking capabilities and slightly improved design.

The most advanced MSI Z170A Gaming M9 ACK will sport very advanced multi-phase CPU VRM that can be cooled down using a liquid cooling system, very sophisticated overclocking capabilities, maximum feature-set, Killer network processor that supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Gigabit Ethernet as well as a special backplate.

No real surprise with the elevation of features as you go up the series, although it seems like there may be a bigger difference between the M5 and M7 than there was between the Gaming 5 and 7 for the Z97 chipset. I'm not convinced with the backplate on the M9 ACK though, it seems like it doesn't really serve a purpose, rather than to look kind of cool (on the back of the board). I guess it provides some added durability, but really, how often is a motherboard being bent? The liquid cooling support for the VRMs is a nice touch. It seems like they're done a much better job in general of separating the boards features than last time. There wasn't really much reason to go for anything over the Gaming 5 before.

The boards are set to hit the market next month, along with the i7 6700k and i5 6600k

EDIT: There appears to be some kind of TURBO BOOST (GAME BOOST) dial on the bottom of the high end boards. Not sure what it does, but it goes to 11! I'm prepared to bet that it's some sort of gimmick, rather than anything useful. (Unless it's used for keeping overclock profiles in there, so it can be changed on the go. That could be good for overclockers out there)

game-boost.png

Source

Wow, I really love the red bits on the PCB. Really nice.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Sexayy

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

really cool for people with a red themed build

I like it, IMO a nice visual upgrade from my Gaming 5.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

That Gaming M7 is looking sexy... the only thing I don't like about MSI boards is the Killer ethernet though :(

Hmm id have to research. These and compare prices and feature to what I plan on getting ( Gaming 5 ) I may spend a little more on a M7 with a Skylake processor. It'll,go great with my red and black themed build. I don't plan on HUGE overclocks so basically the difference between the m5 and m7 is it looks a little better and can support higher overclocks ect ect? Or am I missing something,

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hmm id have to research. These and compare prices and feature to what I plan on getting ( Gaming 5 ) I may spend a little more on a M7 with a Skylake processor. It'll,go great with my red and black themed build.

It definitely looks like they've made them so that the higher end boards actually offer some benefits this time. 

I'm not a fan of the looks myself, but I have to hand it to MSI, they've done a good job of not making the two higher end boards obsolete like they did with the Z97 series. (well, we'll have to wait for pricing to really find out)

Makes me wonder what the OC line of boards will look like from them.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

It definitely looks like they've made them so that the higher end boards actually offer some benefits this time. 

I'm not a fan of the looks myself, but I have to hand it to MSI, they've done a good job of not making the two higher end boards obsolete like they did with the Z97 series. (well, we'll have to wait for pricing to really find out)

I edited my post

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Makes me wonder what the OC line of boards will look like from them.

Something other than red/black I hope. I'd like a black/purple board myself. 

I edited my post

Yep, looks like the M5 is for just general gaming, but the M7 has beefed up power delivery and is better for overclocking. 

Looks good. Will need to take another look afterwards. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

Yep, looks like the M5 is for just general gaming, but the M7 has beefed up power delivery and is better for overclocking. 

Same they have stuck with Yellow and Black for the OC line so far. So it would be nice to see a company do a mobo that has purple on it finally.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

So the M5 would be good, if it's only like a $30 difference give or take a few dollars I misewell just get it. I plan on overclocking, not right away but after like a year. Probably like .5 ghz or a full 1ghz depending on how I feel about it. My plan is to get skylake and use the iGPU or get something small to hold me over on 1080p until Pascal GPUs come out. The iris pro graphics will be Ike heaven to me though. Let's be serious I have an a6-3650 right now lol. But if it's over $40 I'll live with a smaller overclock and the little less enchanted design.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand another generation of black and red :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yeah, it's disappointing, but it sells. A company needs to release a board with interchangeable coloured parts. 

BlackAndRedMasterRace

It does seem like most Mobos are black and red, or blue and black. You see some yellows, silvers, or all blacks but I rarely see

Greens, purples, oranges, and pinks which I see quite a few people have as their color schemes for the setup.

BlackAndRedMasterRace

It does seem like most Mobos are black and red, or blue and black. You see some yellows, silvers, or all blacks but I rarely see

Greens, purples, oranges, and pinks which I see quite a few people have as their color schemes for the setup.

Black out boards :wub:

MSI%20X99S%20SLI%20Plus%20Top.png

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Or just straight black. Let the rest of the components determine build color..

Yep. MSI had some ones that were pretty close. Like the X99 SLI Plus. Shame they never did a similar one for Z97

I like how as the motherboard gets more shroudings, the guy gets more/stronger armor. That's all I have to comment about the design. Will wait until reviews for further judgements.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!