Men who Harass Women in online games are worst players.

Ellis_D

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/21/study-harassment-from-weaker-gamers/

https://theconversation.com/sexism-in-video-gaming-is-just-another-form-of-bullying-44354

According to a study by Michael Kasumovic and Jeff Kuznekoff, the most vocal abusers of women online are the ones most threatened by their presence in the digital sphere. The short explanation for this is because less-skilled men have the most to lose playing games against a woman

In the experiment, Miami University's Jeff Kuznekoff played Halo 3 online using a (pre-recorded) male voice for responses. As he rose to the top of the leaderboard, he found that the lower-ranked males behaved more subserviently and offered comments of praise over the in-game chat. Then, he repeated the experiment using a female voice, and the responses from the lower-ranked players grew increasingly negative. By comparison, equally successful male players at the top of the tree were also positive and encouraging to their female teammates.

As such, men are so terrified of being emasculated that they'd rather create a hostile environment for women than let them join the field of play. In addition, higher-status male players who see the successful female as an equal are more supportive because they feel a sense of equality with them. The team feels that this sort of hostile behavior will continue as long as there's a cultural belief that "losing to a girl" is a notable failure.

ZOYdfSh.jpg

The predicted relationship of the number of negative comments male players made towards a female- or male-voiced teammate as a function of their skill level

What do you guys think?  I'll definitely agree that most people I end up muting are towards the bottom of the leaderboard although I doubt "losing to a girl" is the root of the problem because I know I've witnessed harassment towards female players at every rung of the leaderboard, not just the top.  Still, it's a fairly interesting theory.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Damn, where I live, the guys like girls who play.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I used to play cod all the time with my girlfriend. she always got compliments or holy shit its a girl when we were in public chat. never once was she ripped on. 

IN COD

or could look at it as its all just 12 year olds that where excited to talk to a girl

Actually I can see it. Like I'll trash talk every now and again and I pretty often hit MVP in a pub, but the single most annoying and flaming players are coincidentally the worst. 

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Maybe you shouldn't be playing Halo 3 lol

I agree. 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

are those british scientists again?

do they have nothing to study else?

how about we get some quantum computers at room temperature?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

This is more of societal issue than anything.  Things are beginning to change as you see more and more females playing video games.  While yes, there are some females who are out there seeking attention, most just want to play like everyone else.  One core problem a lot (not everyone) has is they are too proud to admit anyone male or female are better than them.  Players always look for an excuse (lag, bug etc) vs just admitting that the other player is better.  That pride causes conflicts with old society values of: "You got beat by a girl" mindset.  As unfortunate as it is, if a player gets beaten they often get hostile (I myself am guilty at times).  So, the 'easiest' place to take that hostility is on that something 'different'.  It's due to anonymity that being online brings.  90% of what rude things people say online they wouldn't say to someone in person.  

There is both sides of this issue though.  You have the idiots harassing, and you have the 'white knights'  who make it their soul purpose to defend those getting harassed.  Again, if people would play the game own up to when someone is better, many online communities would 100x better than they are.  Now, I'm not saying you can't be competitive.  There is healthy competitiveness, but it should drive to make you better not bring someone else down.   

i play with a woman on cs and ive only encountered this once and he regreted it after everyone else in the game slammed him for it

Obviously, because they're focusing on the woman and not the game.

It's pretty logical

^this.

Same thing always applies to dipshits in voice or text chat.

Shut the f**k up and play, then maybe you won't suck so much.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Its not even that lol. They are probably getting pissy because of noob tubes and bullshit quickscoping lol.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

NO NO NO! Keep this anti GamerGate cultural Marxism bullshit from this forum!

EVERYONE gets harassed on the internet in games, stop victimizing women and be a pathetic white knight beta male.

white-knight-3.jpg

Only noobs "harass" other players, and they whine and "harass" everyone. Ironically that makes this entire article sexist.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

are those british scientists again?

do they have nothing to study else?

how about we get some quantum computers at room temperature?

Miami Universities Mr Kasumovic and Mr Kuznekoff, yep they are definitely British.

Uhhh, no shit? If you don't get called a faggot at least once per day while online, then you're not interneting correctly. The web and online gaming (across platforms) are a hostile place. Getting called a "fucking hacker" and getting your mother insulted is part of the game, and, imo, part of the fun.

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

"losing to a girl is a notable failure"

actually, the problem is:
"losing is a notable failure"

did they study the other countless cases where young boys were harrased? why just women, why not young boys?

the people conducting this seem to have a very specific agenda, or else would of added a third group (female, male, AND children)

men are hostile. no shit sherlock.

men are even MORE hostile when they are losing. no shit sherlock.

are men (PEOPLE, not men, the fuck?) MORE abusive towards smaller, weaker, and less intimidating creatures when in a competitive area? NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

who paid them to do this study? I'm assuming someone had to pay these people, what a joke!

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

Maybe you shouldn't be playing Halo 3 lol

Just got told!!!

are men (PEOPLE, not men, the fuck?) MORE abusive towards smaller, weaker, and less intimidating creatures when in a competitive area? NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

That is one gigantic stereotype if I ever saw one.  

"losing to a girl is a notable failure"

actually, the problem is:

"losing is a notable failure"

did they study the other countless cases where young boys were harrased? why just women, why not young boys?

the people conducting this seem to have a very specific agenda, or else would of added a third group (female, male, AND children)

who paid them to do this study? I'm assuming someone had to pay these people, what a joke!

You seem hostile.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

NO NO NO! Keep this anti GamerGate cultural Marxism bullshit from this forum!

EVERYONE gets harassed on the internet in games, stop victimizing women and be a pathetic white knight beta male.

white-knight-3.jpg

Only noobs "harass" other players, and they whine and "harass" everyone. Ironically that makes this entire article sexist.

"white knight beta male"? Do people actually say this rubbish out loud? lmfao hooo boy

Not entirely sure what gamergate has to do with workers owning the means of production, but then again I suspect only a tiny minority of people who like to feel clever by complaining about Marxism actually know what it means.

"white knight beta male"? Do people actually say this rubbish out loud? lmfao hooo boy

Not entirely sure what gamergate has to do with workers owning the means of production, but then again I suspect only a tiny minority of people who like to feel clever by complaining about Marxism actually know what it means.

All those words and terms have definitions. Go look them up. That includes cultural Marxism.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

All those words and terms have definitions. Go look them up. That includes cultural Marxism.

I know what the words you use mean. The issue is you used them so hilariously out of context that I don't think you know what they mean.