How long did your first PC build take to build?

trapizi

My first ever build took me about five hours, from taking the first component out of the box to Windows finishing installing.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

It depends on how nice you want it too look. You can spend HOURS on cable management, and cleaning / perfecting the case for the look you are going for. Especially if you put LED lighting. You can truly spend a day just customizing the system.

Thanks!

Chris R.

It depends on how nice you want it too look. You can spend HOURS on cable management, and cleaning / perfecting the case for the look you are going for. Especially if you put LED lighting. You can truly spend a day just customizing the system.

This. I'd say an average build will take you an hour or two as long as you have some kind of idea where the things and cables go (maybe watch one of Linus' build guides beforehand), but if you want it to look nice, be prepared to put in some hours.

I short-circuited my motherboard even with an anti-static mat and wrist strap. I took it to a nice local computer shop that new a lot about building PCs. If you're worried, you can probably find someone to build it with.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

First one took me about 3-4 hours...

My personal best is 22 minutes for a mobo, cpu, stock cooker, ram, hard disk, and PSU with very rough cable management...

Custom water loops and building properly can take me days though...

Some people are super anal and only do one software install AT A TIME, costing a lot of time as well...

Opinions will vary on the subject, there is a time and place to go hammer multiple installs to save time, alongside setting up windows, doing multiple installs on a fast PC and an SSD is a cakewalk and if your not pumping too many at once, its all good and fast.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

My first build took me 2 hours for hardware and then another hour-ish for win 7 install. I don't think it'll take 5 hours

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

I spent 18 hours building and leak-testing black glacier (its what i call my PC)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3-4 hours and a lot of sweat and discomfort from wondering, if any of the steps you did was right. Just don't rush, don't be afraid and if you have questions - use google or ask here :)
P.S. If I were you, I would wait and build it, when I move to the new place, because shipping the parts around won't be hard(everything will be in boxes).

also be sure to have a second pc/laptop/tablet/whatever just in case you need to look for help on the web

When I built my current rig(my first) it took me close to 6hrs. I had trouble with one of my ram being DOA, thankfully it was only a mock setup. After that I kinda took a slower pace just to be on the safe side, making sure each piece work.

I didn't want to blow shit up esp when I just splurged $3.5k on the parts.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Yeah, a couple of hours, the front panel connectors are going to slow you down a bit, I hate those damn things lol.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

it took me about 3 hours but half of that was frenetically going to a large metal object to ground myself because i couldnt afford a 2$wristwrap for my 1300$pc

My first PC? Couple months. Waiting for hardware to all arrive. I didnt buy a proper heatsink, I zip tied an optiplex heatsink to my i5. worked fine... But it depends on how meticulous you are with cables and stuff. MyCURRENT build log, which can be found in my signature, it took me probably a good 5-6 hours of cable organization, tube cutting, cable sleeving, and fan installation. Just to find out I had a bad motherboard. Bench test, people!

post-128204-0-03426500-1443803132.jpg

It depends on what kind of computer you're building. If you're just making a pimped-out office machine, then half an hour to an hour. If you are putting together a full-custom water cooling loop with dual 980Tis and an X99 platform, then it should (not will) take several hours at least. Overclocking said build can take days or weeks.

Although, that's really the extent of it. No-one should take this to mean that building computers is hard. No. Building computers is dead easy.

• 3 months later...

That was too brief...

'How long does it take to assemble the internal components of a PC?'

I am furnishing more details, for more accurate prediction:

• i5-6600k
  • ASUS Z170-A
  • Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-2400
  • ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Cooler Master MasterCase 5

(Peripherals not included)

Thanks!

Nothing to see here ;)

At most or probably 30 minutes, including cable managing and whatnot.

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Well if your building outside of the case, and it hasn't been your first time building a PC... It should only take about an hour.

depends on how much time you want to spend with it making everything perfect

it can be 20~30 minutes or it can be a couple of evenings

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

"Corsair CX600M"

I hope you have a quick upgrade plan prepared for you build.

At most or probably 30 minutes, including cable managing and whatnot.

Thanks.

Well if your building outside of the case, and it hasn't been your first time building a PC... It should only take about an hour.

One hour? Does that include OS installation?

Nothing to see here ;)

"Corsair CX600M"

I hope you have a quick upgrade plan prepared for you build.

What's wrong with it?

Can you suggest an alternative at the same price point?

Haven't got the parts yet... Just planning to build one in the next few days...

Nothing to see here ;)

What's wrong with it?

Can you suggest an alternative at the same price point?

The Corsair CX psu series has a very bad rep. for failing quickly and/or exploding,

If it's your first time it can take a couple of hours. Remember to never rush or force anything, that's how stuff breaks.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If it's your first time it can take a couple of hours. Remember to never rush or force anything, that's how stuff breaks.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Nothing to see here ;)