How long did your first PC build take to build?

trapizi

Thanks.

One hour? Does that include OS installation?

The speed of your components are really the only factor take into account when installing the OS, so it really depends. 

The Corsair CX psu series has a very bad rep. for failing quickly and/or exploding,

No.. just no.. It's perfectly fine.

The Corsair CX psu series has a very bad rep. for failing quickly and/or exploding,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! WHEW! Any other 550W or 600W PSU at the same price point?

Nothing to see here ;)

Thank you for bringing this to my attention! WHEW! Any other 550W or 600W PSU at the same price point?

They aren't the most reliable but they won't explode on you lmao, I've had my fair share of CX PSU's. But considering your components you might want to allow a little more headroom for upgrade so I suggest a Seasonic S12 II 620w.

The speed of your components are really the only factor take into account when installing the OS, so it really depends. 

While blowing up is a bit of an exaggeration the CX series is not fine for a 980Ti or  high end building in general. It's not advertised for those things either.

Not sure if it's a similar price point where you are but the EVGA G2 is always a pretty solid buy.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Wrong pus xD. Regardless I have never had a good experience with the Corsair CX series. Many others have reported loud coil whine and it being DOA. There are also quite a few reports of it frying people's components. 

depends on how much time you want to spend with it making everything perfect

it can be 20~30 minutes or it can be a couple of evenings

I'm in the 15 minutes club xD that's without thinking of aesthetics though.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

For me the physical assembly is the quickest and easiest part (unless a custom liquid cooling loop is present).  In the past I would always spend more time messing with BIOS or troubleshooting issues once the OS is installed.  It used to be completely common to not get a perfect boot right after initial setup.  Maybe I've smartened up or the technology is getting friendlier (or both), but with my X99 build everything went super smooth first run. 

I would say allocate a couple hours at most from beginning the physical build to having all drivers installed and ready to go.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

That was too brief...

'How long does it take to assemble the internal components of a PC?'

I am furnishing more details, for more accurate prediction:

• i5-6600k
  • ASUS Z170-A
  • Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-2400
  • ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Cooler Master MasterCase 5

(Peripherals not included)

Thanks!

My first time, 2/3weeks ago, took me around 3 hours from opening the boxes to Installing the os.

I was afraid of breaking everything ^^

Wrong pus xD. Regardless I have never had a good experience with the Corsair CX series. Many others have reported loud coil whine and it being DOA. There are also quite a few reports of it frying people's components. 

Well yeah, if people use a product not intended for its use (CX PSU's are meant for mid-tier workstation builds) it's obviously going to malfunction. I don't really think we should blame Corsair for that :/

I'm in the 15 minutes club xD that's without thinking of aesthetics though.

can you even unbox that fast?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

When i first built my pc it took me 3 hours, that includes,

-Out of case post

-Build

-Cable management

-OS

-And all drivers

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

that thing has no discrete graphics it will be fine

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

depends

i spent 2,5hours on my first build

now i can make it in about half an hour

That was too brief...

'How long does it take to assemble the internal components of a PC?'

I am furnishing more details, for more accurate prediction:

• i5-6600k
  • ASUS Z170-A
  • Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-2400
  • ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
  • Corsair CX600M
  • Cooler Master MasterCase 5

(Peripherals not included)

Thanks!

bout an hour for mine so probably a similar time

that thing has no discrete graphics it will be fine

That's what I said on my old pc build. I was wrong after it fried my entire computer. 

The CX series has a bad rep cos people skimp out on buying a good PSU when building a high end rig, it has nothing to do with the PSU itself which was made for office use, which it clearly states.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The physical build is the fastest part of getting a new system; researching the 'best' part(s) for you can take many weeks  .

The physical build can take anything from ½ ~3 hours depending on how anal your cable management is.  Then same sort of time for O/S, driver installation .

For your  first build the time taken tends to the higher end; don't force and don't rush, enjoy yourself .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I had mine for almost a year now, havnt happend anything yet, even tryed my friends 6990 with it, might just be lucky tho

While blowing up is a bit of an exaggeration the CX series is not fine for a 980Ti or  high end building in general. It's not advertised for those things either.

Not sure if it's a similar price point where you are but the EVGA G2 is always a pretty solid buy.

I shall definitely look into it.

Thanks.

Nothing to see here ;)

OK Guys. Chucked the CX PSU out of my list.

Thank you guys for every post!

Nothing to see here ;)

You're very much welcome, enjoy your new pc :)

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

If you are going to cable manage, it could take hours. But it should take 30minutes- an hour. It depends on expirience and remembering to put the i/o shield in first. :)

can you even unbox that fast?

I rip everything out.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

My motto is that it will take as long as it takes. Some people work faster, some work slower. The key is to make sure it's done right. I usually take 2-3 hours (including OS install) to make sure everything is done properly. Some people do it quicker. Best thing is, don't worry about how long it takes, just enjoy the ride!

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

My first ever build took me around 4-6 hours, since I was a total n00b before. Now, it takes just an hour if I'm really in a rush, but yeah normally just around 2-3 hours.