How long did your first PC build take to build?

trapizi

yeah i feel you man. I had no idea what i was doing half the time haha. Only way to learn is to try haha.

Exactly!

Considering that I am still improving my gaming rig and it still has the same CPU as when I started, 3 years.

I guess that's a legitimate answer. :)

2 hours for hardware (had to take off mobo because I forgot backplate, and I routed PSU cables through the wrong hole), forgot how long the OS installation took, maybe half an hour

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

3hrs. Cable management depends on the case used. It's just like playing lego. 

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

3hrs. Cable management depends on the case used. It's just like playing lego.

If Legos required wiring. :)

Less than 1 hour...

Thorough cleaning can take over 2 hours though...

Less than 1 hour...

Thorough cleaning can take over 2 hours though...

Unless you have compressed gas duster. :)

They do when I use them :D

Lego nubs are the same size as a 5mm LED, so 5mm LEDs can be used to make things that light up and stuff,

Or, you could cut holes into Legos and then insert an LED. It's cheap and foolproof!

Or, you could cut holes into Legos and then insert an LED. It's cheap and foolproof!

But the bottom of the legos are perfect for fitting LEDs into already. that and some of the "headlight" blocks with the square hole on the back. Those are perfect for LEDs.

But the bottom of the legos are perfect for fitting LEDs into already. that and some of the "headlight" blocks with the square hole on the back. Those are perfect for LEDs.

But how could you see the LED? Cut a hole in the front and then insert the LED in the back. :)

But how could you see the LED? Cut a hole in the front and then insert the LED in the back. :)

https://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=4070#T=C this one here. there is a square hole in the back for an LED and the hole on the front lets you put colored things like lenses, or the flames, lightning, ect legos on it.

Unless you have compressed gas duster. :)

I use that for quick cleaning...

I disassemble the rig for thorough cleaning... This includes the furniture that it's on...

Technically 12 months and still counting because it's not actually finished yet, but my first "build" inside a case took me about 2 or 3 hours. About half that time was spent trying to figure out why it wouldn't post (RAM not seated properly) and then having to run out and buy an external optical drive to install the OS because the motherboard I bought wouldn't play nice with USB.

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

2 hours with about half an hour for a break. 

can throw a full system together now with awesome cable routing int he same time. 

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I did this about 8 years ago. it has been on my shelf running off the same set of batteries for 8 years.

You thief!

Dem batteries though.

3-3.5 hrs. Crap cable management. Now I can build one in 30-40 mins, but will take an hour just to get the cable management to look perfect. Spent even more time cable managing moving my PC to it's new (current) case.

I don't do signatures.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting all my parts on the third and I have until the 9th until I move to another place. Should I wait until after I move or should I build it before?

Edit: The average answer seems to be 5 hours. I was more talking about just the hardware, so I guess it's three hours.

Edited by Vozella

A complete novice? A couple of hours. If you don't have at least 5 hours, wait.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I'm getting all my parts on the third and I have until the 9th until I move to another place. Should I wait until after I move or should I build it before?

It's up to you, but also depends on how much experience (or if you have some knowledge) you have building.  

Should only take a couple to a few hours if it's your first.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

it depends when i built my first pc it took me 3 hours and about 2 hours to load windows and install drivers 

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

A complete novice? A couple of hours. If you don't have at least 5 hours, wait.

It's up to you, but also depends on how much experience (or if you have some knowledge) you have building.  

Should only take a couple to a few hours if it's your first.

it depends when i built my first pc it took me 3 hours and about 2 hours to load windows and install drivers 

Really? I thought it was going to take days. I'll do it before then.

if you watch a youtube tutorial and dont run into any issues then it shouldnt take you more than 2 hours (not including installing windows) 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch