How long did your first PC build take to build?

trapizi

Hi guys, I'm applying for a system builder position at my local computer store and they require me to have a fast building skill. I've only built 3 pc before and the third one took me around 3 hours. Is it fast enough? I have no experience in setting up a water cooling system before so will it take longer?

Hi

I like to take my time with it, so it is properly done, I also like to take my time with cable management :) so even longer than 3 hours

You gonna need to do it about 30-50 minutes, not more (if there's no water cooling, of course).

Hi guys, I'm applying for a system builder position at my local computer store and they require me to have a fast building skill. I've only built 3 pc before and the third one took me around 3 hours. Is it fast enough? I have no experience in setting up a water cooling system before so will it take longer?

depends if you do it all properly, It took me about 2 hours the last time I built one. I'm sure someone who does it for a living can do it in 1 hour and a half but you cant do that without getting some practice.

Took me 30 minutes..

You probably skipped steps. Being fast is good but not to the point where you just skip steps and dont tidy up the stuff. I also cant imagine any local store having to build that many computers.

For me completely cleaning and rewiring. It took me a good 3 hours :P

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Most stores don't want employees taking their time to gussy up a system. They want it built as quick as possible. I can build a complete system in under an hour with decent cable management. For anything pretty it takes a bit longer.

Mind you I've been at this for more than a decade.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Ya I forgot to mention they want me to have good cable management as well :)

Hi

It depends on the components. For a build with an air cooler and a single GPU, it can be done well within 40 minutes. For a build with radiators and extra wires, it will take longer. 

My build, with full watercooling and custom parts took me a good 10 hours of build time. 

Well do you do well in cable management?

I spend more time in cable management than putting components together though. It's very annoying to see a mess with my work.

Hi

Depends. I'd say 30-60 for just building it, an extra 10-20 for cable management, and an extra 30 for watercooling.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

About 30-60 min depending on the parts and the case.

Stock push pin CPU coolers and tool less disk drive / HDD bays save a lot of time.

If you use an electric screw driver that will cut a nice chunk of time as well.

Depends on how meticulous the builder is.

A speed build takes me 20-30 minutes (without cable management and such), whereas a very meticulous build takes me anywhere from an hour to three or even four hours, depending on cable management and number of components

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Just a standard air cooled build with no attention paid to cable management and no OS install: around 1 hour

The same as above with cable management and still no OS: 2 hours tops

When I go nuts with the amount of IDE HDD used and want to cable manage: 4+ hours

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

about 1 1/2 hours as long as there are no unexpected issues

and that is with taking my time to make sure no accidental damage is caused, and the cable management.

the more you do it, the faster and more confident you become 

Take a computer and dissassemble and reassemble it a few times in a row. That will imporove your overall time.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

about 1 1/2 hours as long as there are no unexpected issues

and that is with taking my time to make sure no accidental damage is caused, and the cable management.

Agreed. But the most annoying part is installing windows , drivers ,software and tweaking it to your liking which takes a lot longer.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

When I go nuts with the amount of IDE HDD used and want to cable manage: 4+ hours

Dem IDE cables doe. I remember trying to CM my mom's old PC. took me 3 hours and then I said fuck it out of pure frustration that the cables weren't going to cooperate.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Built my pc in 20 min, though no watercooling.

Of course I'm not including Windows install, which took around 10 minutes

This is a signature.