How long did your first PC build take to build?

trapizi

In total, I've probably spent like 10 plus hours on cable management through the 3 year life of my desktop, and I don't even have a windowed side panel, lol.

Those little things! I would probably do the same job with a case without a window.

2 hours, took 45 minutes just for the cable management.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

10+ hours. (custom watercooling)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

That sucks!

It was a lesson learned. Don't buy cheap psu's  :D

It was a lesson learned. Don't buy cheap psu's :D

True that. :)

Can't remember but I say it takes me a day (5-8h) to complete build from scratch or upgrade to full working OS desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nice!

5 of them where spent swearing + drying up a leak.... (forgot the bottom 90 fitting on my reservoir)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

3ish hrs fro everything. and my second build took less than an hour for everything. First was in a full atx phanteks case, the second is in a coolermaster elite 130 mini itx case.

8 hours as I was struggling with cables and my CPU cooler. Now I can do it in 30 min.

The problem was that I mounted my CPU cooler first before I plugged in all my PSU cables which was a huge mistake. The CPU cooler mounting on my be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 is absolutely terrible so I tried to plug cables for 2 hours before I finaly gived up and removed it. Then I plugged in all cables and I struggled another 2 hours to mount that CPU cooler :/ Rest went into cable management.

Probably around 3 hours. The cases that i could afford didn't have much room for all the cables.

It might not have been the first build, but at one time i have spent several hours trying to fix my CD-ROM drive. The manuals were in english and i didn't speak enough english to understand what it said. I'm so glad we don't have master/slave jumpers anymore...

The builds after the first build always included at least 30 minutes of searching for the floppy disks with the windows installer. I was soooo happy when windows finally could boot from the CD.

About 5-6 hours.

Was my first time putting my hands anywhere near internal PC components. Lol.

I'm getting a new case in the coming days--we'll see how long it takes me now that I've got some experience.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

3 hours to build the thing. 2 for OS and diagnosing issues

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

About 5-6 hours.

Was my first time putting my hands anywhere near internal PC components. Lol.

That's actually pretty good. :D

3 hours.  Only because I had to do some troubleshooting because I had a part come in DOA.

A good few hours. I was being extremely careful and I was watching though a build video as I was doing it to make sure I did nothing wrong, because at the time I had no idea what I was doing.

I can do it in under an hour these days.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

The first time was at school and it took roughly three 1 hr class sessions. This was in a class environment and obviously everyone had different skills and understanding of what we were doing exactly. Just over a year after that, I rebuilt the computer myself at home and it took me just over an hour. It's really not as hard people make it out to be.

The first time was at school and it took roughly three 1 hr class sessions. This was in a class environment and obviously everyone had different skills and understanding of what we were doing exactly. Just over a year after that, I rebuilt the computer myself at home and it took me just over an hour. It's really not as hard people make it out to be.

It's easy it if you know what you are doing. I had to guess where some cables had to go.

It's easy it if you know what you are doing. I had to guess where some cables had to go.

yeah i feel you man. I had no idea what i was doing half the time haha. Only way to learn is to try haha.

It took me about 3 hours. I for sure expected it to take only like 45min but things like installing the Motherboard standoffs and cable management really wound down the clock. It wasn't hard for me at all I mean after years of watching computer videos and all that stuff, I finally had enough money to build my own computer. I was educated enough as I possibly could on the topic HOWEVER, nothing beats experience. No matter how long the build tutorial is, it's going to leave stuff out that you will have to figure out yourself, especially if you didn't follow any build guide like me. Just remember hindsight's 20/20 no matter what. Good luck on your future builds!

It took a few hours.  Gotta make sure things are in the right spots.  I have since built many computers and can throw one together in 30-40 minutes.  However, I always take time with my personal rigs.  Make sure each screw is fastened properly; make sure cables are managed appropriately, double check all of the connections; and best of all, savor the moment.  I love building my own computers just as much as I love to savor the time it takes to build them.

About a half hour or so..but I was using a Cougar Spike, with no graphics card. And cable management wasn't something that had ever crossed my mind. Lol.