AMD almost worth a quarter of what it paid for ATI

asim1999

Well, if AMD gets bought out--atleast we can buy shares cheaply before then, and hopefully make a good profit off of anyone who may take interest.  Microsoft, IBM, Samsung, etc.  Someone better get them soon.. otherwise we may see some interesting things if it falls under.  nVidia with a possible x86 license, and Intel with actual dedicated GPU's.  

Nvidia is a juggernaut with money. AMD can't do shit for R&D, that's why the past few generations of cards have been jokes. Nvidia has been ahead for years now. The only reason AMD is undercutting Nvidia in the low-end segment is so they can move any cards. Not because they're good.

I will agreed their RnD budget is trash. But Nvidia may have been ahead on the high end, but, MOST people want GPUs in the bang for the buck section, where AMD has better offerings atm.

hbm was a flop as it is, the fury hardly performs better than the 390x in a few benchmarks. amd need to pull their finger out and make powerful yet efficient cpus, they might be making cpus and gpus for low end gaming but wheres the stuff for enthusiasts 

Fury x is actually toe to toe with the 980ti at 4k gaming mate. they each beat each other about 50/50. Where as the fury can even throw a couple saves on games beating the titan x. I wouldn't call that a failure in anyway. At 4k, it performs as specified. At 1080p? not so much.

Their deployment of it was a failure, they could not get enough yeilds out of the hbm cores to have them readily accessible to the market, other than that, the card is currently the third most powerful single-gpu card on the market.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I really hope some big as mothership takes amd and push them forward, i love thier open approach to things, even if its slightly costlier or slower. and it would be too sad to see cheap compute cards disappear.

I will agreed their RnD budget is trash. But Nvidia may have been ahead on the high end, but, MOST people want GPUs in the bang for the buck section, where AMD has better offerings atm.

Again, they're only priced that low so AMD can move any amount of cards and not cause a monopoly with Nvidia. That also means they're hemorrhaging money.

hbm was a flop as it is, the fury hardly performs better than the 390x in a few benchmarks. amd need to pull their finger out and make powerful yet efficient cpus, they might be making cpus and gpus for low end gaming but wheres the stuff for enthusiasts 

Nope, HBM is a huge success hence why Nvidia is adopting it next cycle.

What is a huge flop is AMDs implementation of the technology. They realised production was limited so instead of pushing HBM across a new range of cards (as everyone initially suspected) they did yet another rebrand run then glued the HBM cards on top as flagship models. The problem is it backfired because as you pointed out the highest rebrand card beats out the lowest flagship card meaning theres no reason for anyone to buy the Fury at all. The Fury X does make sense for people looking to drive 4K displays but thats such a small market share its useless to AMD so they're left with a product which they invested heavily in but which they can't sell as the cards don't fit into users systems in any meaningful way.

Now it has to be said Fury is a first generation card and as we all know first generation technology is always flawed in some way, remember the iPhone 1?

Iphone_a05e79_465052.jpg

Hopefully as AMD work out how to use HBM properly things will get better in the future for them, the big worry is Nvidia coming along during HBM2 and destroying them on their first attempt. I honestly don't believe AMD would survive in the GPU market if that happened.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

ive always been a fan of nvidia, ,the power efficiency is great, i was thinking about getting a fury next as i have a single 970 at the moment but if i can pick up another 970 for around the £200 mark thats what i will do, ive seen benchmarks where the fury only beats a 390x by like 3fps and benchmarks where the fury beats the 980. im going to wait for linus to review them because i dont believe either of the ones ive seen.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Again, they're only priced that low so AMD can move any amount of cards and not cause a monopoly with Nvidia. That also means they're hemorrhaging money.

Everyone knows that both companies wanted to move to smaller nodes. No need for AMD to create new cards for a desktop sector that's going to get a die shrink soon after. NVidia has mobile chips to move. AMD not so much. It's pretty much expected that if you price things competitively they'll sell better. 

No way they're catching Intel. No way they're beating Nvidia. Their only hope is someone buying them out or they're in serious danger of dismantling. Only a miracle can save them now.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Because it's pretty easy to see you don't. 

Posts like these have no use in these discussions. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Fury X wasn't destroyed, it competes with the 980ti, which last time I checked was what a lot of people want AMD to do which was compete with it's competition. Zen isn't going to beat Skylake by any large margins or at all, It's going to compete with it. 

Fury however is compelling value. Not everyone overclocks though.

Exactly, funny how on this thread people say "Oh no goodbye cheap GPUs!" and on others they say "OMG so fucking bad it doesn't destroys the 980ti lol useless!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

this actually aint that bad if company's are intrested in buying AMD cheaper AMD gets more porbable it gets

This is what happens when you rely on your products being cheap rather than being better than the competition. Because what happens when your competition that has a superior product matches your price? Do you go cheap cheap? Well then you don't make any money.

Such a shame. And it was already announced the X86 license isn't transferable so we're pretty much fucked when it comes to monopolies.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

this actually aint that bad if company's are intrested in buying AMD cheaper AMD gets more porbable it gets

But Intel will hop in to protect AMD because Intel is scared of other authorities if I'm right.

Intel would be paying a shitload of money because of monopolyposition AND they have to renew the x86 lincenses.

I can be wrong though so if yes, please correct me.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Funny thing they probably still believe "The future is fusion" :)

The only thing  that can save AMD now is a Zen 8 core that beats any desktop i7 4790k or 6700k or on par in gaming/production while being at least 50$ cheaper, but still make them big profits.And a 6 core that beats the i5 again slightly cheaper.

If thats not what they have planned the only thing AMD should do is divide Radeon graphics into new division and sell everything else.

Funny thing they probably still believe "The future is fusion" :)

The only thing  that can save AMD now is a Zen 8 core that beats any desktop i7 4790k or 6700k or on par in gaming/production while being at least 50$ cheaper, but still make them big profits.And a 6 core that beats the i5 again slightly cheaper.

If thats not what they have planned the only thing AMD should do is divide Radeon graphics into new division and sell everything else.

Well a 16 core flagship with 64 PCI lanes is apparently coming 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I hope the GPU department splits from AMD and becomes ATi again (or under a new name) and starts to make genuinely good GPUs again with good driver support. Sick of them putting out these amazingly high end spec GPUs with crappy drivers to go with them to which they then blame everyone else and say its the developers fault or another companies fault...Not naming anyone in particular. 

PLEASE BRING BACK ATI!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I hope the GPU department splits from AMD and becomes ATi again (or under a new name) and starts to make genuinely good GPUs again with good driver support. Sick of them putting out these amazingly high end spec GPUs with crappy drivers to go with them to which they then blame everyone else and say its the developers fault or another companies fault...Not naming anyone in particular. 

PLEASE BRING BACK ATI!

AMD is basically only ATI atm.

They haven't released a CPU in years. Aside from GPUs, only crappy APUs, the most important thing in them being the iGPU, so ATI again.

Zen is coming out soon. I wonder how that will be. 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

AMD is basically only ATI atm.

They haven't released a CPU in years. Aside from GPUs, only crappy APUs, the most important thing in them being the iGPU, so ATI again.

Zen is coming out soon. I wonder how that will be. 

No. So basically ATI used to be on their own as a independent company but AMD bought them and rebranded them as AMD to stop confusion between brands just like Nvidia is just called Nvidia and Intel is just called Intel. What I am saying is I want the original team of ATi to split from AMD completely and just be called ATi again so they can go back to how they used to run things.... The correct way.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Goodbye cheap graphics cards that run well

Goodbye good CPUs that are pretty much garbage these days

Only hope now is Zen...

I'm wondering myself if they will even make it that far O_O. What if they die before they have a chance to release Zen?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

No. So basically ATI used to be on their own as a independent company but AMD bought them and rebranded them as AMD to stop confusion between brands just like Nvidia is just called Nvidia and Intel is just called Intel. What I am saying is I want the original team of ATi to split from AMD completely and just be called ATi again so they can go back to how they used to run things.... The correct way.

I know. I was saying that AMD nowadays only does what ATI used to do : graphics processors.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

You mean running up massive debts and withholding their existence from investors and prospective buyers (AMD) while also having lousy driver release schedules? 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? Because it's pretty easy to see you don't. 

Posts like these have no use in these discussions. 

He isn't wrong though AMD can't compete with Intel it's simply impossible and anyone who actually thinks they could is dreaming and needs to take their fanboy glasses off.

The only chance of survival is the GPU side and even that is barely doable with how the company is right now.

RTX2070OC 

Guess it make sense cos they only have low-end CPUs and that the Fury series was destroyed by the 980 Ti 

You might argue that watercooling will help with multi-GPU systems, but the tubes are hard to route due to being separate units and OCability is pretty much non-existent 

The fury was kinda a test of a new way to configure hardware. Look at the memory bandwidth.

If you think amd is doing bad now, wait until someone like Samsung buys it. They will be ravaged like a bleeding cow in a piranha tank.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If you think amd is doing bad now, wait until someone like Samsung buys it. They will be ravaged like a bleeding cow in a piranha tank.

I'd still much rather see AMD split cross-wise between Nvidia and Intel. Nvidia's expressed x86 interest and intentions before, and Intel has tried to make dGPUs before. Give them each the IP and engineers with experience to do it and let them throw money at the problem. It's not good to try to compete against both Intel and Nvidia while being so strapped for cash.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd