GTX 980 & 980TI Are Cheaper?

Over the weekend, it appears some of NVIDIA’s AIBs (add-in board partners) have quietly cut prices of high-end Maxwell based GeForce GTX 980, and 980 Ti graphics cards. The move seems to be in response to the disruptive launch of the new AMD R9 Fury cards, which have been making quite the splash among reviewers since they launched early Friday morning.

Well this is a bit of good news, cheaper Nvidia cards.

We’re definitely happy to see prices reduced due to increased competition in the market, as it is always better for consumers. NVIDIA has been known to stick to higher pricing models when there is a lack of competition, so the fact that their partners are responding to AMD’s recent launch with price cuts, could mean that NVIDIA is finally starting to feel the heat.

Well hopefully we will see more cuts for cheaper cards.

Now all I need is cheaper electronics for Australia.

http://www.technologyx.com/featured/nvidia-partners-cut-prices-of-geforce-gtx-980-ti-and-gtx-980-in-response-to-amd-r9-fury/

Edited by Godlygamer23
Fixed title.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

And this is exactly why it's in everybody's interest, that AMD does well in the GPU, but also in the CPU market. 

The 390 and the Fury most likely rattled nVidia's cage the most as they're cheaper and perform on the same level with most of nVidia's higher end offerings while undercutting the prices. All I hope for now is also some cuts in the GTX970's pricing as the 390, as of right now, seems to be a better choice, while being similarly priced in most places. Poor Australians :(

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Not a big enough difference to really care :(

I am looking to get a 980 Ti in August for a new build, I would welcome it being cheaper lol.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

The R9 Fury hasn't even started selling in the UK. No listings for it.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

The R9 Fury hasn't even started selling in the UK. No listings for it.

None in Australia either.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Poor Australians :(

I doubt that the 970 will be ranked on top of the 390 again. Especially in Australia, the cheapest 970 is only $10 cheaper than the cheapest 390 (PCS+).

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

And this is exactly why it's in everybody's interest, that AMD does well in the GPU, but also in the CPU market. 

The 390 and the Fury most likely rattled nVidia's cage the most as they're cheaper and perform on the same level with most of nVidia's higher end offerings while undercutting the prices. All I hope for now is also some cuts in the GTX970's pricing as the 390, as of right now, seems to be a better choice, while being similarly priced in most places. Poor Australians :(

Something most people forget as we like to "Take sides" This is a welcome change of pace and is good for the consumer in the end :) 

None in Australia either.

Lol yes there are ::P

Wait, the r9 fury or the fury X? There are ones for the fury X...

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Lol yes there are : :P

Wait, the r9 fury or the fury X? There are ones for the fury X...

Fury

A couple of days ago the Windforce 3X 980 went down to $435 (cheaper than any 970) for a while. I noticed this AS it went back up to $715 and missed out :(

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

A couple of days ago the Windforce 3X 980 went down to $435 (cheaper than any 970) for a while. I noticed this AS it went back up to $715 and missed out :(

Where was that? I would have bought one just coz!

Where was that? I would have bought one just coz!

It was at CPL Online. I think it was an accident.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

(I posted something stupid here. Ignore)

We really need a way to delete our posts.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Don't know why they reduced the price of the Ti card when it already beats the Fury line at 1080/1440p, although its pretty evenly matched at 4k. Unless they know AMD (Fury) cards are gonna see big improvements in the near future, or they feel they can further undercut AMD. The 980 is a different story. Price cuts for that are needed and wanted. The 390/x hangs with it at higher resolutions, but the Fury is a MUCH better option at that price point. Even $50 more the Fury card is the much better buy.

It will be interesting to see if these price cuts are universal and not limited to certain territories, or even if its a large-scale decrease at all.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Something most people forget as we like to "Take sides" This is a welcome change of pace and is good for the consumer in the end :)

NVIDIA for the people who will pay a little more for a lot less power consumption me AMD for best bang-for-your-buck. But as mentioned, the consumer always wins :)

PC Interest - Thriving | Wallet Status - Near Empty

Ryzen 7 3700X, ASUS Dual RTX 3070 (+OC)

Corsair Vengeance LPX (2 x 16GB) 3200MHz, ASRock X570 Pro4 

The price drop seems to be like $20 lol, nothing too significant on $450-$650 purchases

The price drop seems to be like $20 lol, nothing too significant on $450-$650 purchases

But at least it's a start.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

But at least it's a start.

Not really, they are unlikely to drop it again for a long time. Unless AMD releases another GPU suddenly, which I doubt.

The reason it's $20 is because that is the number they got when they concluded how to keep up their competitive sales which the new competing GPUs.

We are still getting fucked over in Europe. Thanks Nvidia :P

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

It's pretty clever. Fury is already shown to be hard to get your hands on so this is the time to make your own cards more enticing.

At $629 the 980ti beats the $649 Fury X in almost every benchmark I've seen and is both available and a bit cheaper. 

At $479 the 980 might lose to the $549 Fury but you have to pay $70 more for a few percent extra performance. And if the Fury is anywhere as short in availability as the Fury X then the 980 is a solid winner here.

What I'm surprised we haven't seen is a price cut on the 970. Right now it's in an unfavorable position against the 390.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Not everything is as black and white as they may appear!  On paper, these are some drops, but for some of us, it's not really much of one. As a test, I clicked the Amazon link for the Zotac GTX 980 and dummy ordered it to see what actual prices are involved versus advertised. As you could see, it fits around what you'd expect a GTX 980 to be around once all the other expenses are tacked on.

28df3d9d8a.png

(With standard shipping, it's $520.24)

Not denying the dropped prices don't exist and not everyone would have this issue. What I am saying is that much like a lowered price on one retailer may appear dramatic, the final price may not be that different from the competition when the dust settles. It all depends on your individual situation and where you shop.

-snip-

Noooo! Not a free batman game code! Burn it in hell! :D

Anyway, i agree, the difference is too small for us to notice, the retailers will get a bit more profit because i really doubt someone will change their prices now...

It's too small to be relevant to us.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

This is why we need AMD to stay alive.

If they were dead already, then Nvidia wouldn't have done this. And come next generation, who's to stop them from charging ridiculous amounts for things?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Not everything is as black and white as they may appear!  On paper, these are some drops, but for some of us, it's not really much of one. As a test, I clicked the Amazon link for the Zotac GTX 980 and dummy ordered it to see what actual prices are involved versus advertised. As you could see, it fits around what you'd expect a GTX 980 to be around once all the other expenses are tacked on.

28df3d9d8a.png

(With standard shipping, it's $520.24)

Not denying the dropped prices don't exist and not everyone would have this issue. What I am saying is that much like a lowered price on one retailer may appear dramatic, the final price may not be that different from the competition when the dust settles. It all depends on your individual situation and where you shop.

you have to pay tax for things online? O_O

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1