Samsung wants to put 11k display on phone [Rumor]

WereCat

Source: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-is-making-a-11K-resolution-2250ppi-mobile-display-and-is-dead-serious-about-it_id71399

I was looking but I havent seen it on forum so hopefully this is not a repost.

Samsung is dead serious about this, working in partnership with the South Korean government, which will be investing 26.5 million dollars in the project over the course of 5 years. As many as 13 domestic and foreign companies are involved in the technology, which has been in development since the 1st of June. The project is named EnDK, and a public prototype is expected to be presented at the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics.

According to our calculations, if this display has the typical 16:9 mobile aspect ratio, the exact resolution will be 11,264 х 6336 pixels, and the screen will measure 5.75". A pixel density of 2250 pixels per inch is up to four times higher than that of current Quad-HD screens, which could stand at up to 576ppi depending on the screen diagonal. 

Samsung's goal with this is to implement a "3D effect". Details are scarce, but the way Korean outlet ETNews puts it, such a gloriously high-resolution screen is able to simulate the effect of a 3D screen through some kind of optical illusion. We guess that if you throw enough pixels at one's eyes, you can make them believe almost anything!

If this is true then it is definitely awesome and impractical. I have to wonder... what output can drive such display on phone? How much battery life it will eat? And what mobile GPU can actualy handle that? What the hell is going on .... Samsungs e-peen is growing definitely!

that many pixels on one phone? Would we even benefit from that?

Taran should run for president!

Honestly we don't need that. Not even close to needing that. But hey what the hell why not. Maybe one day it will be practical.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

what's driving the display?

what's the battery life?

do we use car batteries for that?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

for VR it shud put le google cardbored on it lol

Actually that would be pretty awesome but like OP said, what GPU would be able to do that? Even at a phone sized screen it'll still need some power todo that.

Sure it would be awesome for VR but we dont even have desktop GPU that can handle games on 4k no problem.. not talking about 11k!!! :D

Actually that would be pretty awesome but like OP said, what GPU would be able to do that? Even at a phone sized screen it'll still need some power todo that.

dont worry. samsung has more advanced tech than this. I would know :)

maxresdefault.jpg

ENGLISH. Do you Speak It?

i7 920 @ 3.5 GHz / Gigabyte X58-USB3 / Corsair H100i / 12gb Kingston Hyper X Blu / EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ / 120gb SanDisk Extreme II / 650w PowerCool / Phanteks Enthoo Pro / TTe Sports Challenger Ultimate / TTe Sports Black Element / Corsair Raptor HS40

I think the display will be a tiny 60 inch display given that many pixels

dont worry. samsung has more advanced tech than this. I would know :)

Well if samsung is able to pull a prototype off that has efficient battery life, minimal lag, and great layout design with a somewhat affordable price range I'd possibly be interested in buying it xD

Literally the only thing that would benefit from this would be VR. And no mobile GPU will be able to render anything at 11K for a long time.

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

Well if samsung is able to pull a prototype off that has efficient battery life, minimal lag, and great layout design with a somewhat affordable price range I'd possibly be interested in buying it xD

it probley wont be affordable. most likley people with a 6 figure salary

Honestly we don't need that. Not even close to needing that. But hey what the hell why not. Maybe one day it will be practical.

It won't. 

It won't. 

well. VR could probably benefit for something over 600ppi, maybe not.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

For a 65" tv lol. 80"?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Even for using this phone with VR, this is insane honestly because even with a graphics card that'll be able to run the GUI I just couldn't expect it to even run any games at that display without down sizing the resolution.

Only 2000dpi.

Forth Dimension Displays has already shown a 4000dpi display.

Ohold-school-cell-phone.jpg wow. Samsung's new phone :D

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

How about they start to focus on monitors more. Like bringing OLED on monitors.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Has anyone actually read the article? Samsung states the benefit of 11K screen is it will have special 3D effect without the need of wearing 3D glasses. Also, the prototype won't show up until late 2018. Smartphones with 11K monitors will hit the market at 2019 the earliest, more likely 2020. By that time, I won't be surprised they will have mobile GPU to push 11K resolution for video, photo viewing.

but-why.gif

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs