David Cameron's "anti-encryption" bill

Vexeer

I really hate governments they tell people they can't do something all the time but they always do what isn't allowed, like blowing innocent people up for example. They are just as much of terrorists as any other.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I find it a bit shocking personally that even the U.K., a country of liberal democracy, will move towards imposing such laws in the name of security from terrorism. Here in Singapore, considered a "flawed democracy" by Economist Intelligence Unit's 2014 Democracy Index, is sometimes considered a de facto police state (there are allegations that at least one of our ISPs uses deep packet analysis), and with many laws restricting media freedom, there is no talk or moves here right now - as far as I'm aware of - to implement anything similar. As much as our government would like to snoop on us (and trust us, they do), they still for the most part respect our online privacy when it's encrypted and they have targeted tools to uncover your tracks if you do transgress their laws.

I believe governments should instead try such a targeted approach instead of such blanket measures that harm everyone in the long run. People do expect some decorum of privacy over online communications, especially the more private forms of communications; the "nothing to hide" argument falls short here because even lawful citizens sometimes expose information that could be used against them for other unscrupulous purposes - wasn't there some news out there that the U.S. government's data collection programmes were sometimes used by the people who had access to such info to gain information about their personal romantic relationships?

The only way this will ever get stopped, is by a super high profile hack that is directly linked to government backdoors.  Everyone would have to be hurt by it.  And the hackers would have to get a huge score, and everyone would have to know it.  The whole world would have to see it, and it would have to be undeniable. 

(Countries used just for example purposes)

Something like China hacking the UK gov't and getting all their spy data, and corporate secrets, and then openly using those secrets against the UK and to improve China.  They would have to hurt the gov't and the people and the companies(read: money).  This is the only way things like this will stop.  When the gov't gets all their dirty laundry aired the other gov'ts of the world will do anything to prevent it from happening to them.  When those companies see all their trade secrets and patents and everything straight up stolen, they will never again allow gov'ts to see into their secrets.  And when the people of the country that got hacked suffer huge global embarrassment and find out the horrible things their gov't has done, they will rally behind politicians that "stand for real encryption", whether they mean it or not.

This is what it will take for the world to take computer security seriously.  Something major will have to happen that truly destroys a huge group of people.  Then everyone else will actually care.

You know what this will cause?

Raids. Not 0s or 1s, but actual raids. With pitchforks and shotguns. The government won't stand a chance.

Ye ole' train

Shame really this guy wants to learn why encryption is important the hard way. But that's basically what it boils down to.

Luckily here in Belgium we don't have the same problem. Hell, it was we who came up with AES in the first place.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

its like yes because something being illegal ever stopped terrorists and criminals

I bet you that Google, Amazon, Apple etc will all tell Cameron to fuck right off, I doubt they will allow a UK backdoor into all their security 

Well what to they spend their time doing :P

I hope they do.

He's an idiot. So is Tony Abott. @Salty

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

So let's remove all the encryption and then wait for 1 week before the terrorist's just pay some hackers to steel a ton of banking information. I mean look at Sony hacks etc. Encryption is the solution not the problem

Why do most of the people that are in the government have almost no knowledge as to why encryption is needed?

Do they even brain?

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Ol' Dish-Face is doing a great job at making me want to leave this country as soon as I can and never come back.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

"Well, let's just make hacking illegal as well. That's that problem solved" -an idiot.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I don't see this part getting enforced because that would be more trouble than it's worth. And apple tolerating iMessage losing security? Of course not

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Source:http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/07/10/snoopers-charter-bill-causes-social-outcry-as-government-looks-to-ban-whatsapp-and-others_n_7768768.html
Another: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/whatsapp-could-banned-uk-under-6037441

"During the Queen's Speech, the Government unveiled plans for a new version of the controversial 'Snoopers Charter' bill which would potentially allow the Government to ban instant messaging services such as WhatsApp, iMessage and Facebook Messenger."

The Investigatory Powers Bill would -- admittedly with a number of strict procedures in place -- allow security services such as GCHQ and MI5 to access instant messages sent between two people in this country.

The problem is that almost all the major apps (WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, iMessage and Snapchat) all use encrypted end-to-end communications which means that Governments and indeed the technology companies can't see what's being sent.

Naturally, this is just a possibility, but the fact that there is a possibility of this happening is is spooky.
I'm interested in seeing how things will turn out. I'm king of scared that other counties might do the same.

If you know something that is not in one of this articles please tell me. i will be more than happy to add other info to this post.
what do you guys think?

wut, why

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Wow move to the US for full access to the internet.

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

Have fun trying to ban iMessage, Britain. Every iPhone user in Britain or with British friends would get super pissed, because iMessage allows you to IM internationally without paying out the behind for international messaging. Also, Apple would be super mad, and for good reason.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Fucking retarded, that's my thought. 

Cameron is an idiot when it comes to the Internet, he only sees things from the Government's point of view and what will be best for them; they forget sometimes that we are the people who elect them. 

and that's why they need someone that's not a complete idiot

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The main problem is that most people either don't have a good enough technological understanding, or are not interested in politics enough to care. It is really quite surprising how much the government can get away with (eg. NSA, GCHQ).

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

nah move to korea for 5g lte

North or south? North. 

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

No Im. carrier pigeon will be banned next...

Stop electing right wingers.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The main problem is that most people either don't have a good enough technological understanding, or are not interested in politics enough to care. It is really quite surprising how much the government can get away with (eg. NSA, GCHQ).

as long as no one dies idc about goverment