[updated] AMD lowers revenue expectations because of poor APU sales - Q2 earnings call

zMeul

sources: AMD via AnandTech

AMD_Logo_678x452.png

AMD is looking to brace investors for a worse than expected Q2, after an already difficult Q1. Soft APU sales are being blamed for dragging down both revenue and gross margins, with AMD now expecting Q2 revenue to be down 8% sequentially, or around $950M, while the non-GAAP gross margin will be just 28%.

Phn1XW9.pngXE6ZkkM.png

---

I sincerely do not understand why AMD gambled on APUs so much - it's like going to the tracks and betting on the horse you already knew he's gonna lose

what's the reason for APUs in desktops? people that are looking for a small factor PC will most likely not care about the graphics core processing power; those who will, will most likely buy a discrete graphics card

on Intel's side, there's no choice really, you either buy a i3/5/7 with IGP or open your wallet for a IGPless Xeon

for AMD's sake, I really hope this Zen CPU architecture is nothing less than magic

---

UPDATE

source: http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/amd-officially-cancels-20nm-chips-takes-33-million-charge/

In its update for investors issued earlier this week AMD said that it would take “a one-time charge of approximately $33 million associated with a technology node transition from 20nm to FinFET.” In particular, the company will write off money it spent on design and tape-out(s) of chip(s) that will never go into production.

AMD indicated that it has no intention to produce code-named “Amur” and “Nolan” chips (at least, in the form they are currently known) using a more advanced process technology, but said that it will use a FinFET process to manufacture other chips. A spokesperson for AMD implied that the company was developing several products, which were intended to be made using Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.’s CLN20SOC fabrication process.

---

in short, project 'Skybridge' (“Amur” (ARMv8-A cores) and “Nolan” (Puma+ x86 cores)) not gonna happen, not on 20nm at least

what that means, is AMD will have no new products for upcoming Windows 10 tablets from MicroSoft

amd_skybridge.jpg

the issue is prebuilts. they went for the prebuilt/business market, but those tend to be intel right now. 

AMD is dying. Intel = Monopoly

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

sources: AMD via AnandTech

I sincerely do not understand why AMD gambled on APUs so much - it's like going to the tracks and betting on the horse you already knew he's gonna lose

what's the reason for APUs in desktops? people that are looking for a small factor PC will most likely not care about the graphics core processing power; those who will, will most likely buy a discrete graphics card

on Intel's side, there's no choice really, you either buy a i3/5/7 with IGP or open your wallet for a IGPless Xeon

for AMD's sake, I really hope this Zen CPU architecture is nothing less than magic

APU's have there place in prebuilt pc's .. Also for someone who wants to do a little gaming  on a budget and will never buy a gpu. But yah I totally agree AMD doesn't have an option for the enthusiast. I hoping zen is great.Id love to buy an amd cpu again.Its been long enough. 40% ipc increase sounds great on their slides.  Hopefully they can pull through with those numbers.

wtf do you expect when Intel does this

74938.png

and completely wrecks AMD at their own game. I know there is a large price difference, but prebuilt PC makers know consumers like Intel Inside.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Phenom II N970+ Ati Mobility Radeon HD 5650=get fucked APU. AMD's older products beat their newer ones.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

74938.png

and completely wrecks AMD at their own game. I know there is a large price difference, but prebuilt PC makers know consumers like Intel Inside.

I do feel that it should be pointed out that that i5 is more than twice the cost of the top apu there. It would have been better to compare one of the i3s that have been shown to perform better for about the same price.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

---

Compute, Hsa, OpenCl, hopefully servers. APU's have a lot of potential in the server space because performance/watt jumps through the roof. but they haven't done anything. It's useful in Mobile but Desktop it's really good for OEM up against Intel. The future of Hsa is really where everything is going.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

APU's have there place in prebuilt pc's .. Also for someone who wants to do a little gaming  on a budget and will never buy a gpu. But yah I totally agree AMD doesn't have an option for the enthusiast. I hoping zen is great.Id love to buy an amd cpu again.Its been long enough. 40% ipc increase sounds great on their slides.  Hopefully they can pull through with those numbers.

that is a worst possible investment ever; you want "buget" gaming, go buy yourself a console that has the hardware to last you for the next 5-6 years - that won't happen ever with a desktop PC, ever!

that is a worst possible investment ever; you want "buget" gaming, go buy yourself a console that has the hardware to last you for the next 5-6 years - that won't happen ever with a desktop PC, ever!

It's not possible to build a PC that will last 5 years? What?

Compute, Hsa, OpenCl, hopefully servers. APU's have a lot of potential in the server space because performance/watt jumps through the roof. but they haven't done anything. It's useful in Mobile but Desktop it's really good for OEM up against Intel. The future of Hsa is really where everything is going.

not talking about those - AMD doesn't have a foothold on compute market, it's already held by Intel and nVidia

AMD took a gamble, and lost, on desktop market - AMD thought people will buy APUs because their graphics were better, it didn't happened 

It's not possible to build a PC that will last 5 years? What?

don't quote me out of context

yes please demonstrate a 400$ PC that, without a hardware upgrade, will play new releases for the next 5-6 years

don't quote me out of context

yes please demonstrate a 400$ PC that, without a hardware upgrade, will play new releases for the next 5-6 years

I didn't quote you out of context, I quoted you're entire message. You said it.

I didn't quote you out of context, I quoted you're entire message. You said it.

you did, because my post was a reply to someone else and you haven't included that

Or some people like gaming with mouse keyboard. Theres thousands of game that can be played on an apu. I'm sorry but consoles don't have that library of games. Sure you wont be playing the latest titles maxed.. Worst investment in your eyes. You can have your opinion.

AMD is behind on the CPU/APU mainly because it's running 48/32nm process, against 22/14nm from intel, so ofc they cannot compete, they are working on efficiency for APUs which is good, but still they need to shrink the size, and solve memory issue by putting HBM, then APUs would be amazing for laptops, tablets etc, but about desktop they have no way in unless they add HBM and make GPU cores compatible dual graphics for current GPU gen like R9.

so to me they spent so much time and resources on APUs to refine thier archi for the future, so in 2016 they better bring finfet with HBM and dual graphics for R9 200/300 series.

Twice the price and Godavari is like an OCing heaven.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

AMD needs to get back on their feet or someone has to buy them out. I really don't want Nvidia and Intel to have monopolies.

If AMD dissolved, Intel would buy up the ATI divisions and IP. Nvidia would most likely buy up the CPU and server divisions and the x86_64 IP. You'd have renewed competition on both fronts in a little over a year. I just question how long Nvidia thinks it can stay ahead of an Intel armed with Raja Koduri.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

My Dad and I are living proof you're full of crap. His Q6600 and 2 SLI GT 9800s lasted almost 8 years before he actually needed something new, and yes, the machine was used to game when he wasn't doing office work.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

hmm two years after kaveri and 4 years after trinity.

Cardozo doesn't seem to win against Intel either, and that's a 5775C with no overclock on the iGPU.

not talking about those - AMD doesn't have a foothold on compute market, it's already held by Intel and nVidia

AMD took a gamble, and lost, on desktop market - AMD thought people will buy APUs because their graphics were better, it didn't happened

http://www.hsafoundation.com/

AMD does have a footprint on the compute market.. Intel is focusing on Unified Memory for their iGPU's now and are willing to put IGPU's in their Xeons with skylake-E, NVidia with NVlink for better compute with CPU like IBM's PowerPC. Intel doesn't Have geometry engines like AMD does which is where 3D performance can suffer at times, where this falls in line with the rest of performance because Kaveri is starving for bandwidth.

PbdFKlE.png

Right now it's just starting to get a footprint in computing.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit