Could the Flying Car become more of a reality?

Original Article: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/26/drone-that-carries-people/

drone-carrying-man-2015-06-26-01.gif

Could this be the beginning of the future for flying cars?

Thorstin Crijns has developed this proof of concept for his idea. It is based of the same technology that quad copters use, the only difference being,

Instead of 4 rotors, there are now 16.

While this is only a test flight as a proof of concept, the device managed to fly itself and the pilot for a brief amount of time. 

The device itself weighs in a 110lb (50KG) while its occupant weighs in at 132lb (60KG)

and with the device sporting enough thrust to lift 282lb (121.18KG recurring), it should work.

While the device looks terrifying, not even being the correct word to use, the concept works.

See the video below:

My thoughts?

A while ago, I posted a topic about a new type of hover board being a distance record.

With this new device from a different person. The future certainty is looking positive for

Personal Flight Devices, and man am I scared, although, still excited.

Your Thoughts?

please leave them down below!

MY THOUGHTS - Explained More In-depth

While I want a hoverboard, and we are more likely to get one before a flying car. This concept is a great example about our engineering skills.

Is this going to be the final design? I hope to god it isn't and as many of you, and myself have said it looks frighting and dangerous. 

This is a long way off from becoming a production model, but The idea is there.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

drunk flying anyone?

didn't the us army try something like this. also my local population struggles at simple math, i trust drones more.  

more notes, it can lift me and a clone.

even more notes. bet a girl would smile more riding. 

Because fuck efficiency, and safety.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

AHEM...

They've tried it before. It ended horribly.

ave-mizar.jpg

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Super unsafe. Nothing to prevent those blades from slicing shit up. 

So just put a lot of propellers on a car? If this is the beginning I sure hope it isn't where we'll end. :P

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I guess it could, but why should it? What's wrong with driving on the ground? Same as self-driving cars IMO, no need for them (okay, in some instances they would be useful, but normal people don't need them). 

don't we have enough accidents on ground? we need those things in the air too

hover cars cashing into each other, crashing into houses, on road vehicles, on people ...

I'm more interested in these

maxresdefault.jpg

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I guess it could, but why should it? What's wrong with driving on the ground? Same as self-driving cars IMO, no need for them (okay, in some instances they would be useful, but normal people don't need them).

Well increased safety for pedestrians, more bicycle lanes, more pedestrian zones, traffic in multiple lanes on different heights to decrease congestion... there are benefits all right, but that's given they don't fall on our heads :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

There are many designs for a flying car. Just I don't think there are any that are safe, practical and economical.

Well there are many practical uses for self driving cars, more directed at cities.

I still think that Aeromobile is better concept for more recent future and it just works.

Well increased safety for pedestrians, more bicycle lanes, more pedestrian zones, traffic in multiple lanes on different heights to decrease congestion... there are benefits all right, but that's given they don't fall on our heads :D

Then, if you have lanes at multiple heights you need a method of being able to get to ground level at any point in the lane... Those are reasons we could want flying cars, but we don't need flying cars. Surely, we should be concentrating on ridding of poverty and war and to be honest, classes. Personally, i don't see it fair that we're putting millions into developing things we don't even need when there's so much poverty and shit... 

I don't know, just feel it's another thing that will never happen because of the practicality of it and we're wasting money researching into crap like this. 

On the congestion front, would you not just be moving the congestion into the sky? Granted the area up there is, well, almost endless, but it wouldn't exactly be efficient. 

Who needs flying cars if you can teleport in 50 years

Project Pluto
i3 4170 MSI H97 PC Mate MSI R9 380 2GD5T @ 1095MHz Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 2x4gb @ 1600MhzWD 1TB Blue • be quiet! Pure Rock • NZXT S340 Black XFX TS 550w • BenQ GW2265HM

Do you want to have to validate every citizen to fly?

Wasn't having good drivers hard enough?

Instead of an asshole cutting you off at 50 on the highway, they'll be doing it at 250 at 2 miles in the air

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

I would love to see it happen, but I feel like I wouldn't trust 90% of the population to fly them without killing themselves and others.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I would love to see it happen, but I feel like I wouldn't trust 90% of the population to fly them without killing themselves and others.

I would not trust myself to fly, but I have never done it before so there's that.

I would not trust myself to fly, but I have never done it before so there's that.

I would, but only if it was flying like on DBZ lol

Sounds amazing. As long as I don't have to trade a foot for it.

-snip

I LOVE Randall's arguments.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Might be a reality, but not everyone will be qualified to do it. The sky has lanes to, but we don't see it, doesn't mean you can fly anywhere you want like a manic.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list