R9 fury x sold out

marldorthegreat

30k units sold out mean NOTHING. That is like a piss in the bucket for a corp as big as AMD.

Also we have yet to see a benchmark that compares apples to apples. A watercooled card vs an air cooled? Seems like a fair comparison!

Wait untill we see benchmarks that watercool a 980ti and push it to the limit. Then pushing the Fury x to the limit. Then comparing.

30k units sold out mean NOTHING. That is like a piss in the bucket for a corp as big as AMD.

Also we have yet to see a benchmark that compares apples to apples. A watercooled card vs an air cooled? Seems like a fair comparison!

Wait untill we see benchmarks that watercool a 980ti and push it to the limit. Then pushing the Fury x to the limit. Then comparing.

how is stock vs stock not fair? unless you mean both cards on a custom loop push hard, that would be nice to see.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Why not? Its reasonably fast and can keep up with the 980 Ti. 

Yea although it didn't crush the 980 Ti doesn't mean its the worst card of all time...

Here's a reason. The 980ti is faster than the 780ti with roughly the same number of cores.  The fury x is only faster than the 290x because the threw roughly an additional 1200 stream processors at it. What does that tell you, the architecture isn't really any better, and their stream processors really didn't get any stronger, they're just selling a bigger chip.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

I'm not sure why people are surprised, it's not a bad card. Is it a Titan X killer? Definitely not but people who honestly believed that was going to happen had a bit too much of the kool aid. Added to that its limited initial supply and the long time since AMD's last high end release and it's obvious why it sold out this fast.

Personally I'd never get one but that has more to do with aesthetics than the card itself.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Here's a reason. The 980ti is faster than the 780ti with roughly the same number of cores.  The fury x is only faster than the 290x because the threw roughly an additional 1200 stream processors at it. What does that tell you, the architecture isn't really any better, and their stream processors really didn't get any stronger, they're just selling a bigger chip.

Performance per watt improved significantly. Isn't that an improvement?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

just for info

here, the fury x costs more than 980 ti

so this could be true just for NA

for the time being, the 980 ti is much much better option for us in other parts of the world? EU at least, since we get more performance for less money

also nvidia dropped the price in UK to match the fury x, so...

nvidia didn't even have to drop the prices in EU to still be the better and more valuable option

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Performance per watt improved significantly. Isn't that an improvement?

Yes. But not sure that's enough to compete. I love AMD, but im worried.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

how is stock vs stock not fair? unless you mean both cards on a custom loop push hard, that would be nice to see.

Never said it was not fair, just totally irrelevant.

Who in their right mind ever buys a stock card, unless he wants to watercool it themself?

The Fury X is not going to be improved by EVGA and others. The 980ti will.

The Fury X is watercooled. The stock 980 ti is not.

The Fury X is going to end up in user systems JUST LIKE IT IS NOW. The 980 ti will not (usually).

You can compare whatever you want. I prefer comparisons that are valuable to me, the enduser. Not some worst case scenarios that would never end up in any system at this price point anyways.

They managed to throw 1200 more stream processors and was still able to make it consume less power than the 290x...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yes. But not sure that's enough to compete. I love AMD, but im worried.

I guess we're all a tad worried here.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

They managed to throw 1200 more stream processors and was still able to make it consume less power than the 290x...

Yes, that's something like I said. But that might not be enough. Don't want them to fall behind like they did in CPU IPC. Hopefully they are just buying time till the next die shrink.

I expected more though....coming from my 290 that I bought on it's launch... and the HD7950 I bought on its launch....

I wanted a 980Ti killer... like.. a real step up.

If they had done, I'd be buying one, you have to remember, THIS IS THE TOP TIER :(  And that's just sad....

Whats to expect after this? Fuck all when it comes to faster cards from AMD, at least for quite some time.

Maybe I expected too much.....

I figured the NANO performance would be about where this FuryX card is... between the 980>980Ti

If the Fury & FuryX was aimed at surpassing the 980Ti by a decent margin, I'd have got it.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The Fury X performs about the same as the 980 Ti and also costs the same. I don't see why people are so disappointed with this card unless everyone had way too high expectations.

so i am consumer looking to buy a new gfx i have had nvidia for the last say 4 years. so if the fury x performs the same as the 980ti has a higher power draw, is known to have issues with gamework games and comes with less ram and locked voltage....why am i buying a fury x?  add the fact that nvidia has a massive market share then people have a right to be dissapointed. if AMD wants to regain some of the market then they need to BEAT nvida not match them

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Don't almost all high end cards sell out pretty much immediately?

yep. I watched the 980ti go from in stock to out of stock immediately on newegg and other places. 970;s and 980's were the same. 290/x and 780/ti's as well.

how fast the cards get restocked is the biggest factor I guess.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

just for info

here, the fury x costs more than 980 ti

so this could be true just for NA

It's also true for Norway, the Fury X was a bit more expensive than the 980 Ti and also sold out in a day. Based on stock levels at certain points of the day yesterday, I'd say ca. 600 cards went out.

I still won't buy anything Fiji based until I see unlocked OC numbers. And have a 290x on the way so I can toss my GTX 760 in the garbage while I wait.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

yep. I watched the 980ti go from in stock to out of stock immediately on newegg and other places. 970;s and 980's were the same. 290/x and 780/ti's as well.

how fast the cards get restocked is the biggest factor I guess.

Yeah so it's really not surprising to me. New card? Great, a ton of people are going to buy it. I bet I can tell you if the sun will rise tomorrow too.

Well I'm glad the world is bigger than LTT and that nobody went "Oh it's 5% slower than a 980ti so even though it has so much better temps it's a failure lol amdz dead!"

Thank god other people are thinking that way.

The fury X is a cracking card, with some impressive temperatures and within the margin of error for performance against the 980ti. Plus with improved drivers we should see a more suitable boost in performance, much like we've effectively seen with the 390x over the 290x. AMD have really pulled it out of a nose dive with this one hopefully. Personally I would take a fury X over a 980ti at the moment, as the reference design is cheaper, has far better temps and will likely perform better in the near future as drivers are updated.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Wait people are buying these things? Guess benchmarks mean nothing.

Time to buy a 9800 GT because it's got a bigger number in the name than anything else which means it's faster.

You are missing the point. Price per FPS.

HTID

http://wccftech.com/amds-radeon-r9-fury-sold-out-day-launch/

ust yesterday, AMD launched their brand new Radeon R9 Fury X flagship graphic card. And within 24 hours of launch every single SKU on the market is sold out. All the big etailers including Amazon and Newegg are currently going through the restocking phase with cards listed as ‘Out of Stock’. This is both very promising and could be potentially alarming for the product at the same time. The sell out indicates an absolutely killer demand for the card while the 24 hour time period indicates a rather limited initial quantity of cards (available to the etailer).

so amd the new apple with 2 months que?

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

You are missing the point. Price per FPS.

the 980ti is better at the same price, while using less power.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

As soon as DX12 or Vulcan becomes more mainstream the performance battle will surely be even more interesting.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's also true for Norway, the Fury X was a bit more expensive than the 980 Ti and also sold out in a day. Based on stock levels at certain points of the day yesterday, I'd say ca. 600 cards went out.

I still won't buy anything Fiji based until I see unlocked OC numbers. And have a 290x on the way so I can toss my GTX 760 in the garbage while I wait.

I am kinda disapointed now.

In Slovakia the 300 series turned out to be mostly cheaper over the 200 series so I was hoping the Fury X will be bellow 980ti.

But 980ti reference starts at €680 while Fury X at 690€.