AMD - A New Era In PC Gaming

Opcode

Can someone please tell me what I would be losing going AMD and also what I would be gaining with AMD. Are the drivers really that bad compared to Nvidia? What if I decided to do crossfire when I switch to 4k? Is it stable?

Thanks!

This is a very, very hard question to answer. People have had very different experiences with the drivers. Personally, after 7 years of AMD, there have been some ups and downs, but generally their drivers are good. They can be a bit slow sometimes, that really is the only problem I see. 

What you would by gaining though? Well you get Freesync instead of G-Sync, which is a bit cheaper, for now. Also Liquid VR if you're into that. And more

Someone else really should answer this question, but for me, G-Sync is the deal breaker that makes me stay away from Nvidia for now. Freesync might not be as good, yet, but it is done the right way. 

Other that G-Sync vs FreeSync I only look at fps per dollar (or NOK in my case) I go for the better option

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

someone posted these on 4chan /g/, not sure if legit or not

eW6YDt2.pngPStk2Zs.png 

These can't be legit because the Fury X and Fury have the same specs, but here they are drastically different performance

someone posted these on 4chan /g/, not sure if legit or not

eW6YDt2.pngPStk2Zs.png 

blup blup blup - sound of AMD drowning  :lol:

I'm bloody going nuts over that new cooler.

NVidia are generally a bit faster with SLI profiles. But it varies with the games it seems. AMD's drivers are generally quite good; let's just say the critique is blown way out of proportion, and is based on several years ago.

You lose out Gsync support if you have that, so bear that in mind. But you can get vrr with Freesync on adaptive Sync monitors, if you want that.

The drivers themselves perform great just recently there hasn't been many updates for them

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

At the conference Lisa pointed out two machines on her left. One running Sniper Elite 3 at 5k 45fps and one running tomb raider at 4k 60fps

This is all on her word though.

If it holds up then we're looking at a beastly new era for 4k content.  

no you don't because neither those games have hi-rez resources to call it UHD

I want to see some CoD: AW on Fury X at UHD and upwards

Lol you really have a raging boner for hating AMD. Settle down man.

And yes because Call of Duty has always been THE BENCHMARK to hit. Its always on all the major benchmarks for all the newest gpus right? Right. don't make me laugh. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

These can't be legit because the Fury X and Fury have the same specs, but here they are drastically different performance

I haven't seen that fully confirmed. They called Fury a "air cooled version of Fury X". So it should indicate that, but they didn't give us anything beside that

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Whoa. Nah. CoD shouldn't be used as a benchmark, lol.

Settle down man.

But but, AMD told us to never settle?

Lol you really have a raging boner for hating AMD. Settle down man.

And yes because Call of Duty has always been THE BENCHMARK to hit. Right. don't make me laugh. 

correct me if I'm wrong, what other game even comes close to the hi-rez assets CoD: AW has?

TW3? no ...

JMZsqdc.png

This thread:

7PZrLpI.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yes! Bring more performance for less money :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They mentioned the Fiji's will have quite some OC potential, maybe the water cooled X runs higher clocks.

Looking forward to see benchmarks on the likes of SofM regarding VRAM. Technically with the much higher bandwidth they could get away with 'just' 4GB (my Intel 750 should be adequate to deliver in time too).

correct me if I'm wrong, what other game even comes close to the hi-rez assets CoD: AW has?

TW3? no ...

And again your argument has literally no legs to stand on. There are literally zero major benchmarking forums/websites/reviewers that use CoD for any for of benchmarking ever. You want 4k benchmarks? You do Battlefield 4, Crysis 3, Dragon Age, Far Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto, Total War, Bioshock stuff like that.

EDIT: Also i dont give a flying piss how big CoDs textures are, if you think CoD AW looks better than Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4 then you're taking the piss harder than we ever thought. 

Nobody gives two flying f*cks about CoDs shitty performance. 980 Ti release...did you see anand, linus, jayz, tech syindicate do that 4k CoD benchmark?

No? you didnt? 

right nobody cares. Now get up off that green shaft and be happy we have some competition at the high end you grumpy bias bastard. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Kind of had to laugh at this. 

Oh no! AMD cards perform worse at resolutions that we don't have monitors for yet. There's no way they'll stay in business now!  ;)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

tek syndicate

I laugh ... omg  :lol: tek syndicate is a joke, not even a good one

in the whole "business" of hardware benchmarking you picked only those

Oh no! AMD cards perform worse at resolutions that we don't have monitors for yet. There's no way they'll stay in business now!  ;)

I'm betting a virtual cygar that Fury X will have issues in real world benchmarks (games) at UHD, and up, resolutions

So...

Where are all the 8k displays that everybody is using their Titan X with? And look at how the 980ti performs against a 290X in the 8k benchmark.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I laugh ... omg  :lol: tek syndicate is a joke, not even a good one

in the whole "business" of hardware benchmarking you picked only those

And my point my proves itself. Piss of mate, I'm done trying to converse with idiots. 

So...

here's a thing:

fire up FireStrike extreme, note how much VRAM uses

then, fire up GTA5 at the same resolution and note how much VRAM it uses

let's talk after

@Opcode

Those specs you listed for Fury (not X) and Nano, where do you get those from?
They seem wrong and I can't find any place were their specs are listed.

Important to not have wrong information, specially in big threads like this

AMD made it clear during the press that all three variants will be powered by the same Fiji. With the Nano version using slightly tweaked architecture to reduce power and heat. Lisa Su explained that the "X" moniker on the Fury X is there to designate their water cooled version. Fury is the same as Fury X but will come in AIB air cooled variants.

Medium quality are you serious??

Don't f"#?/()&?¤% "Q come at me with bencmarks "proving" 4GB isn't necessary for 4K with nerfed textures and shadows FFS!

You're failing to realize that either way 4GB is sufficient for 4k gaming. Even in benchmarks against the TITAN X with 12GB the R9 295x2 still holds its own on top of the GTX 980 Ti most of the time (a 6GB card). Find me numbers that prove 4GB makes 4k gaming unplayable then we'll talk. Especially logic that proves HBM has no advantages over GDDR5. The company wouldn't push it as a 4k/5k card if it performed like utter shit at them resolutions due to density limitations.

6386_28_4k_showdown_sapphire_radeon_r9_2

6386_26_4k_showdown_sapphire_radeon_r9_2

6386_25_4k_showdown_sapphire_radeon_r9_2

6386_29_4k_showdown_sapphire_radeon_r9_2

6386_30_4k_showdown_sapphire_radeon_r9_2

Still above 30 FPS. With Tomb Raider serving as an example that graphics horsepower is more of a limitation than memory density.

So many AMD haters here. It's unreal. :lol:

Noooooooooooooooooooo.

Those dont exist on this forum. Dont be silly.

EDIT: See my signature quote...

Remember that one f*cking time when every nvidia fanblob from here to mars was taking the piss to Saphires 8gb 290x claiming that you'll never need more than 4gb? aaaaaaaahahahahaa