nVidia's Tom Petersen raises a good point in AMD vs GameWorks issue

games should not be developed so that graphics makers HAVE to go and release drivers just for a game, devs should do their best to optimise for any hardware. Do any inde games get special drivers, no, and they work hard at making their games look the best and keeping them optimised.

Releasing a driver for a specific game allows for further optimizations and ensures both the driver and game play nice with each other.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Another thread saying screw the witcher devs, screw tim Sweeney, screw ex Valve programmers, screw AMD's driver team, because the mighty NVidia is always right.

Seriously though, why would anyone believe a super biased statement by NVidia, to statements made by the actual developers, even more so, some that actually use gameworks in their games? So much propaganda, and you're all eating it up. Please learn about source critique.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This is bullshit, the sole purpose of this thread is to provoke a flame war.

Part 1:

The main issue with with Witcher 3 was Hairworks, which A; you can turn off or B; force it at a lower setting via CCC which shouldn't be needed in the first place

Part 2:

GTA V is not a main Gameworks, is was just partnered more with NVIDIA, it has HDAO ffs.

Part 3:

AMD performance it definitely hindered here in Project Cars by Physx, because it's runs on the CPU and it can't be turned off because it's a core mechanic 

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

They're obviously and unambiguously AAA titles. It's a major developer that develops its own game engines and is backed by a mother company with its own game distribution service.

Just because it's successful doesn't stop it being indie.

And I'm pretty sure CDPR is the mother company controlling GoG, not both being owned by the same parent company.

Having a proprietary effect in a game does not magically make game optimizations easier.

My point was that they may have been more intimately involved in the development process and not been "locked-out" so to speak.

My point was that they may have been more intimately involved in the development process and not been "locked-out" so to speak.

Truu.

Even so, they did have issues at launch for a bit.

I wanna say even Nvidia did (though I didn't have any driver specific issues myself, with a 980 here).

Having a proprietary effect in a game does not magically make game optimizations easier.

AMD claimed that NVIDIA's proprietary software in games makes it more difficult to optimize the drivers for games. However, according to NVIDIA, they use binary builds, not source code when optimizing drivers. So therefore, AMD wouldn't even need to worry if NVIDIA released the source code.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Part 3:

AMD performance it definitely hindered here by Physx, because it's runs on the CPU and it can't be turned off because it's a core mechanic 

Completely and totally 100% abso-fuckin'-lutely correct because when you use and Nvidia GPU it definitely goes towards the GPU to process.  :rolleyes:

I like oranges because they're a good vegetable in salads equates to just how much wrong your statement is.

AMD claimed that NVIDIA's proprietary software in games makes it more difficult to optimize the drivers for games. However, according to NVIDIA, they use binary builds, not source code when optimizing drivers. So therefore, AMD wouldn't even need to worry if NVIDIA released the source code.

And that's proven by AMD's actual working force putting out drivers for the games that Richard Huddy and others will say is impossible to do.

I don't get how everyone on AMD's side (mainly their marketing) can't see this.

They're obviously and unambiguously AAA titles. It's a major developer that develops its own game engines and is backed by a mother company with its own game distribution service.

So by this logic indie games can't be AAA titles? Being indie doesn't have anything to do with how big your game is.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

They're still indie developers no matter how you wanna spin it.

I'm not going to go through the entire list of games that are in Nvidia's drivers, but I bet you my jar of nutella that there's plenty of them on that list.

They have hundreds of employees. They're obviously a AAA development studio.

Just because it's successful doesn't stop it being indie.

And I'm pretty sure CDPR is the mother company controlling GoG, not both being owned by the same parent company.

CD Projekt owns both CD Projekt Red and GoG.

And CD Projekt Red is a major AAA developer. It has hundreds of employees.

If you can get off your fanboy horse one instant, let me tell you it's the developers' responsibility to optimize their games for graphics cards based on the drivers available, not the GPU manufacturer's responsibility. Yet GPU manufacturers keep having to do it because of the sheer amount of programming incompetency in the game development mileu.

Pretty much this.

It would also be nice if OP could be less of an Nvidia fanboy. 

That disease plagues this forum.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

In the video game industry, AAA (pronounced "triple A") is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion. A title considered to be AAA is therefore expected to be a high quality game and to be among the year's bestsellers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA_%28video_game_industry%29

Take what you want from this, just fuel for your fires.

and yet, it's a GameWorks title, AMD was high and mighty that GameWorks prevents them to optimize the drivers

so .. which is it ?!developer's fault? AMD's own fault? nVidia's ? perhaps they should blame Intel .. just in case  :lol:

That doesn't mean it is a Gameworks title. Nvidia has pages like that for games that for Gaming Evolved games that have SLI, 3d vision support, and so on . AMD has a similar thing with GTA V as well. GTA V was even bundled with Radeon GPUs from Newegg along with Dirt Rally

They have hundreds of employees. They're obviously a AAA development studio.

CD Projekt owns both CD Projekt Red and GoG.

And CD Projekt Red is a major AAA developer. It has hundreds of employees.

Unless someone from CDPR or another indie studio publishes (that means invests their own money into) another studio's game, they're an indie studio.

If you can get off your fanboy horse one instant, let me tell you it's the developers' responsibility to optimize their games for graphics cards based on the drivers available, not the GPU manufacturer's responsibility. Yet GPU manufacturers keep having to do it because of the sheer amount of programming incompetency in the game development mileu.

Pfff what you are basicly saying is that developers should actually be responsible for their products - lol dat makes no sense brah

So by this logic indie games can't be AAA titles? Being indie doesn't have anything to do with how big your game is.

Indie and AAA are mutually exclusive by most definitions.

Another thread saying screw the witcher devs, screw tim Sweeney, screw ex Valve programmers, screw AMD's driver team, because the mighty NVidia is always right.

Seriously though, why would anyone believe a super biased statement by NVidia, to statements made by the actual developers, even more so, some that actually use gameworks in their games? So much propaganda, and you're all eating it up. Please learn about source critique.

You eat up AMD propaganda.

Learn about self critique.

Unless someone from CDPR or another indie studio publishes (that means invests their own money into) another studio's game, they're an indie studio.

That's a ridiculous claim. You're not an indie developer when you have hundreds of employees.

Moar fuel.

Independent video games (commonly referred to as indie games) are video games created by individuals or small teams generally without video game publisher financial support. Indie games often focus on innovation and rely on digital distribution. Indie gaming has seen a rise in the latter half of the 2000s decade, primarily due to new online distribution methods and development tools. Some games originated as indie have become very successful financially, such as Braid,[1] World of Goo,[2] Flow, and Minecraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_game

That's a ridiculous claim. You're not an indie developer when you have hundreds of employees.

Did you consider Minecraft indie before Microsoft bought out the studio?

That doesn't mean it is a Gameworks title. Nvidia has pages like that for games that for Gaming Evolved games that have SLI, 3d vision support, and so on . AMD has a similar thing with GTA V as well. GTA V was even bundled with Radeon GPUs from Newegg along with Dirt Rally

you should look at the specific nVidia features, like:

• TXAA
  • MFAA

Did you consider Minecraft indie before Microsoft bought out the studio?

Probably, though I don't know exactly how big they'd grown by then. Mojang's still MUCH smaller than CD Projekt Red.

Probably, though I don't know exactly how big they'd grown by then. Mojang's still MUCH smaller than CD Projekt Red.

Even so, they banked quite a bit of money. Probably enough to make you question their status between indie and AAA.