nVidia's Tom Petersen raises a good point in AMD vs GameWorks issue

Here's the post I quoted, since you're too lazy to go back and read it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/384385-nvidias-tom-petersen-raises-a-good-point-in-amd-vs-gameworks-issue/page-9#entry5193756

Perhaps you don't know what a quote is?

The things I replied to had nothing to do with this. You must be seriously disorganized or stringing together different conversations. I just quoted our conversation in order.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

The things I replied to had nothing to do with this. You must be seriously disorganized or stringing together different conversations. I just quoted our conversation in order.

Yes, that my point. What you were replying to me had nothing to do with what I was replying to. I've been trying to say that this entire time. That was the post i quoted initially, then you jumped in to to talk about planned obsolescence. That had nothing to do with the conversation I was having with someone else, yet you had to chime in by stating the obvious. FFS.

I pointed this out a couple of times.

AMD (specifically Richard Huddy and whomever else) always complains about Gameworks being "unoptimizable" on their video cards yet they release drivers for the game that increases their performance for the games.

He also brings up that they usually only get access to optimize a couple of weeks prior to release, while Nvidia presumably has a significant head start.  If it takes X man hours to make an optimized driver, this puts AMD in a position where the driver comes out weeks after release.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Unless someone from CDPR or another indie studio publishes (that means invests their own money into) another studio's game, they're an indie studio.

Here's the simple version

1. Do they independently publish their own games?

In CDPR's case, they are published by their parent company.  It's kind of like how Sony publishes first party titles.  They're not indie, unless you consider Naughty Dog or SCEA indie.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Yes, that my point. What you were replying to me had nothing to do with what I was replying to. I've been trying to say that this entire time. That was the post i quoted initially, then you jumped in to to talk about planned obsolescence. That had nothing to do with the conversation I was having with someone else, yet you had to chime in by stating the obvious. FFS.

My eyes are practically rolling out of my head. If you don't see how that's relevant, you're nuts. We live in a world where businesses want to make money. There is no need for justification. Consumers will pay for things they need and want. Nvidia will do what it needs to do to maximize its sales. It's really no more complicated than that.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And you can bet your bottom toppers that Star Citizen will get an official driver on launch day.

Oh come on, sure it's an "indie" game but with over 65 million in budget, it's far as hell from a real indie.

My eyes are practically rolling out of my head. If you don't see how that's relevant, you're nuts. We live in a world where businesses want to make money. There is no need for justification. Consumers will pay for things they need and want. Nvidia will do what it needs to do to maximize its sales. It's really no more complicated than that.

I'm starting to lose my patience. Okay, I'll try one more time, and I'll explain it slowly. I replied to someone else. Then, you replied to me by defining what I said. I was saying that what you said was irrelevant to the conversation I was having with the other person. Yes, what you said was relevant to my post because it was a fucking definition, but that's not what I meant. If you still don't get it, just say that you don't instead of replying with anything else so that my temper doesn't reach the tipping point and i get myself banned, because I'm so close to blowing up on you...

This stupid forum drives me insane. Maybe I should just get banned and find a forum with an average IQ above 3.

disagree with my opinion, good for you! I don't care.

I don't disagree but that is one weird line man :o like, it's just weird...

• 2 weeks later...
I disagree Tom Petersen's explanation,

Most often Gameworks get's added at a very late time. Far Cry 4 version 1.0.0 for example didn't have tessellation and FUR (hairworks). Also the ambient lightning was altered and optimized at 1.0.1 (day one patch). So even if AMD had access to version 1.0.0 prior to the release they couldn't optimize what wasn't there yet...

We also have to realize that games sometimes get rushed to meet the release date. Nvidia has only given a few weeks to add the GameWorks features and also forwards that version to their driverteam for optimization. In such occasion AMD gets the retail version just days prior to release. That's means that AMD is at least 3 weeks behind Nvidia. AMD then releases a beta driver within two weeks after the release.

Also Nvidia argues that Gameworks sourcecode is available for the game developer. While that's true the game developer is prohibited to share that to third parties like AMD. This makes Gameworks a black box for AMD.

I love these threads. All the people who know nothing about games development pretend they do, pretend they know about what they are spewing, and its just a massive shit throwing contest! It's so good to watch people make incredibly ridiculous comparisons to things like coke and cars.